jbeletti's 2018 Landmark 365 Newport

porthole

Retired
FWIW, 5 yrs ago on our first attempt to boondock not really knowing the BH batteries’ capabilities, we drained them dead overnight!!!
Without returning to town for a generator or new batteries, my only option was the truck’s alternators to provide a charge.
I started the SD, plugged in the 3010, and let her idle for an hour or so several times a day for the duration. Was able to provide enough current to the lights and refrigerator so we didn’t lose any foodstuffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we may have seen that last weekend

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I going to make a pig tail test cord to put in between the truck plug and the trailer cord . That's been on my tado list for a while now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

While you are at it then:

Make a jumper (spare 7-way plug) and wire in an incandescent bulb, (cheap automotive bulb and socket, 1156 bulb) to the brake actuation circuit.

Mount it somewhere where you can see the bulb (mirror) and go for a ride.

You may be surprised at what you see with the brake activation. Compare how fast the bulb lights, delays, 'ramp up' speed etc.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think we may have seen that last weekend

- - - Updated - - -

While you are at it then:

Make a jumper (spare 7-way plug) and wire in an incandescent bulb, (cheap automotive bulb and socket, 1156 bulb) to the brake actuation circuit.

Mount it somewhere where you can see the bulb (mirror) and go for a ride.

You may be surprised at what you see with the brake activation. Compare how fast the bulb lights, delays, 'ramp up' speed etc.
Sounds interesting.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We traveled 6 hours today. I took some screenshots of the Battery Monitor a number of times today. Each image is annotated. Still learning this device but so far, I've found it very interesting and helpful.

Before we left home. Slides had just been pulled in while on shore power.
View attachment 59665 View attachment 59666
Rest Stop - 90 minutes of travel.
View attachment 59667 View attachment 59668
Lunch Stop after 120 minutes of travel. Before generator was turned on.
View attachment 59669
Rest Stop - Note that current is a net positive, coming from alternator.
View attachment 59670
At the above Rest Stop, I turned on the furnace to warm the coach the last 45 minutes of the drive. Voltage dropped right away, Current swung by 7 amps from +1.9 to -5.1, Power consumption swung by 90 watts from +25 to -65 and Time Remaining went from Infinite (we were getting more power than we were consuming) to 8 hours 2 minutes and dropping - all from the net power being used by the furnace (and inverter for refer). This is to be expected.
View attachment 59671
After 3 minutes of the furnace running, voltage has dropped 2/10 of a volt, current draw and power draw have both stabilized a bit. Correspondingly, Time Remaining has increased from 8h2m to 10h5m.
View attachment 59672
Arrived at Campground. Still connected to truck, truck still running. No shore power yet. Voltage has dropped another tenth and a half. State of charge has dropped 4%. Current has increased by 1 amp. I've consumed another 3 amp hours of my batteries. Time remaining has decreased by almost 2 hours to 8h17m. This is a result of the furnace running for 45 minutes in addition to the inverter for the refer. I very rarely ever run the furnace while traveling. Maybe once or twice a year. If I did it more often, I might want more battery and/or some solar charging.
View attachment 59674
Arrived at Campground. Still connected to truck, truck still running. No shore power yet. This is the History page of the app. Looks like at some point, the battery voltage dropped to 11.98. My guess is this was while the furnace was running, then it recovered from truck charge current. The Max Voltage readings are a bit puzzling. This 20+ volt readings were present last night, prior to towing. So that voltage, if accurate, came from the Converter. Maybe it was a very short duration spike. My plan is to reset the device or at least this History tonight to see if I can get rid of that 20+ voltage reading and find out if and under what circumstance it returns.
View attachment 59675
That's some fun information. Your truck is definitely charging I'm still not convinced that mine is doing anything. After I shut off the truck my numbers didn't change....

jbeletti

Overall - I like it. Nancy isn't as big a fan of it. But truth be told, I'm sure she does like never running out of hot water :)

We'll have a 6 gallon w/h in the TT. Not sure if that's going to workout. If it doesn't, it may get yanked and replaced with something. That something could be a tankless, but no plans just yet. After the Goshen rally, we'll have a good sense/direction for this item.

Bones

Overall - I like it. Nancy isn't as big a fan of it. But truth be told, I'm sure she does like never running out of hot water :)

We'll have a 6 gallon w/h in the TT. Not sure if that's going to workout. If it doesn't, it may get yanked and replaced with something. That something could be a tankless, but no plans just yet. After the Goshen rally, we'll have a good sense/direction for this item.

Thanks. We have talked about pulling ours out and swapping it to the on demand. We tend to run out of hot water quickly especially if the kids get a bath.

carl.swoyer

Jim,
I have to ask?
Why the dramatic downsize.?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ksucats

Jim: I thought you had answered the following questions before but I don't find them now so please excuse the duplication.

How does the tankless water heater work when flow is slow -- rinses dishes for example where you might not need / want the full force of water? How bad was it on drawing propane?

Thanks in advance.

carl.swoyer

Desire to travel with RV less than I do now
Desire to have a truck I can get in my garage
Desire to try a smaller RV to see if it can work for us for the future
Well good luck with your new desire research.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim: I thought you had answered the following questions before but I don't find them now so please excuse the duplication.

How does the tankless water heater work when flow is slow -- rinses dishes for example where you might not need / want the full force of water? How bad was it on drawing propane?

Thanks in advance.

The Suburban Nautilus worked great at any flow rate. It sips propane in a general sense as it only heats water when needed. I liked it. To do again, I'd consider the Truma just to try theirs out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
With the Oxygenics Fury shower head (RV version from Camping World), running both electric and LP, plus learning the correct water flow rate, I've been able to squeeze a decently long shower out of the 6-gallon water heater in the Prowler.

And it only takes about 10 minutes to heat another tank full!

ksucats

Sorry but you have me laughing here as I think about my wife's showers - have a 12 gallon tank on ours and she has no problem draining it - Can not even imagine her with only 6 gallons (of course she thinks our Landmark is a small step from 'roughing it' :confused::confused: She never got the pleasure of tent camping :cool:.