just got a new TV

Wmnmy

I did it couldnt. Wait a fter reading all you all have to say about diesels I got a smoking deal on a 2011 ford power. Stroke diesel lariat to pull my cyclone . Guess I won't be hearing the mountain whining on the v-10 no more . Thanks for all the info

camperjohn08

A up date: Am forgetting about the aux springs.. due to having to remove the DEF tank to get to the bolts/nuts for the front hanger..UGG You can buy the hangers @ the ford dealer parts, but the aux spring itself is part of the 5530 spring pack.. whats on the truck now is the 5560 spring pack w/o aux spring..So you cannot buy the aux spring outright.. has to be manufactured locally @ the spring shop. An local spring expert suggested adding a couple of leaf's to the spring pack, which would make the truck handle the load and make it ride better.. (Keep in mind though, this will not increase the posted GVRW of the truck itself) The fifth wheel I am looking at is a Sundance 3300QS.. has a king pin of 1980 lbs and the B&W hitch weights 280 lbs installed.. then you add all your stuff in the basement, and the stuff in the truck.. and those extra leafs start sounding pretty good.. Air bags arrived today and the remote airlift compressor system tomorrow.. I gots so much to do.. Might be an overkill.. But me ride will be riding level either way..

And congrats Wmnmy.. you will like your new Ford SD with diesel..

traveler44

John, Don't you need a fifth wheel hitch to pull a fifth wheel or do you use some kind of adapter to fit that gooseneck ball? Tom M.

lwmcguir

I had a Duramax and now a Cummins in their respective trucks. I drove interstate trucks for several years driving numerous trucks with different engines. My feeling is you never just jump in a new truck and put your foot in it. You work them but not to the full extent to give them a little time to break in. Engines used to be built to different standards and required break in periods but that isn't as necessary today.

Always warm a diesel engine up slowly with a few minutes of idling, and when taking off just gently peddle it until the engine is up to temp. After that you can start adding more throttle. Working a cold engine is a no no. Same thing when letting it cool down before shut down. I let my engine idle until the turbo is down to 350 degrees as recommended by Cummins. A diesel engine has a lot more steel in it so let that metal warm and cool slowly. If you saw my truck you would notice I have added a trio guage pack on the left window column that has a pyrometer, engine boost, and trans temperature. I am getting ready to add temp guages to both front and rear bogies. Spoiled I guess from having those things when I was driving truck.

Great advice for any engine for sure. The metal engine parts expand and contract at different rates so the warm up and cool down periods are very important to long engine life.

camperjohn08

John, Don't you need a fifth wheel hitch to pull a fifth wheel or do you use some kind of adapter to fit that gooseneck ball? Tom M.
For the SD 2011 F250/350 you use the Part # 1111 B&W gooseneck hitch, and then get the Part # 3000 Companion fifth wheel hitch which bolts into the gooseneck opening on the under bed hitch assy. It a great hitch set up, especially if you need a clean bed to haul things when not towing. By the way I have ordered both part numbers.. I will install them within the week.. Also look at their web site and on Utube for install videos.. You can learn alot of info about them..

Wmnmy

Thanks camperjohn08 it rides like a dream and the kicker is it will be paid off before my retirement in 7years wanna break it in first diesel though cant wait till I get the first 500 out the way

Wmnmy

I also see you have the same how does it tow we have lots of hills in Nevada ,California

camperjohn08

I also see you have the same how does it tow we have lots of hills in Nevada ,California
Well I don't know as of yet.. only have 250 miles on her so far..haven't even tried to hook-up the Northtrail 27RBS T/T to her yet, to check out the hitch alignment. Just been rather busy getting everything I need for the 5'er next May.. I will say though, compaired to my 2004 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3L this is a real truck. And the turning radius is much much better..I am glad I finally got it.. I will say more when I can. And NO MORE driving up a mountain towing a T/T @ 45 miles an hour (with the pedal to the metal) with a gas engine either..

Wmnmy

Well I don't know as of yet.. only have 250 miles on her so far..haven't even tried to hook-up the Northtrail 27RBS T/T to her yet, to check out the hitch alignment. Just been rather busy getting everything I need for the 5'er next May.. I will say though, compaired to my 2004 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3L this is a real truck. And the turning radius is much much better..I am glad I finally got it.. I will say more when I can. And NO MORE driving up a mountain towing a T/T @ 45 miles an hour with a gas engine either..
I love the turning radius no more stoping and backing up , I had air bag I put on v-10 it helps a lot I didn't get chucking and the leveling was great gonna have to get them for this one also have 25k hitch all the other post say it pulls like a dream got 175 miles in two days gettn 20mpg so far

camperjohn08

I decided to stay with the low profile 5'er such as the Heartland Sundance or Graystone..(2,000 lb king pin) Got the 18K B&W hitch.. more than enough of a hitch.. Also got the F250, because of insurance purposes and to keep me from Buying a Big Horn "ultra High Nose 5'er rig.." They kinda scare me when they are rolling down the road.. and some places we like to visit have lower bridges and stuff. I didn't want to have to worry about height issues.
As per milage so far about 16.4.. but that is based on very short around the town runs.. BUT still better than my silverado which got on an average of 10 mpg..I guess I need to take her for a nice ride to see what it really gets..

Wmnmy

I decided to stay with the low profile 5'er such as the Heartland Sundance or Graystone..(2,000 lb king pin) Got the 18K B&W hitch.. more than enough of a hitch.. Also got the F250, because of insurance purposes and to keep me from Buying a Big Horn "ultra High Nose 5'er rig.." They kinda scare me when they are rolling down the road.. and some places we like to visit have lower bridges and stuff. I didn't want to have to worry about height issues.
As per milage so far about 16.4.. but that is based on very short around the town runs.. BUT still better than my silverado which got on an average of 10 mpg..I guess I need to take her for a nice ride to see what it really gets..
I know what u mean I have the 2812 cyclone it's close to 13 ft high so I plan carefully with low bridges I got 11 on the v-10 round town and 7-8 towing to Arizona from las Vegas huge difference so far . Drove big rig through wheeler and Ohio so know bout them east coast bridges haha

Wmnmy

You are gonna like the Sundance I almost got it but I have a mastiff and wanted the rubber floor just in case and for toys in future

camperjohn08

The Sundance 3300QS or Graystone 33QS are what we are interested so far..Both have four slides and is about 36 feet long. I like the Graystone for the Gray paint and w/d hook-ups I guess we shall see when we finally make our minds up and after we see the new models that are coming out.

Wmnmy

I have had ours for a lil over a year and wonder why we paid so much for hotel rooms that were mediocre haha enjoy my friend .

camperjohn08

Yeah, bring her on down to the IC Resort tonight their Johnny!!! :cool:
It will be staying in the garage.. Got the heat shield off under the bed.. Ready to install the B&W gooseneck hitch assy, also got that area undercoated to match the rest.. When my 4" hole saw comes tomorrow.. I shall start the project.. Let the Real Fun Begin..
ALSO.. for those owners who hate the 26 gallon tank, TitanFuelTanks.com manufactures a replacement tank for this truck and it holds a wopping 50 gals of diesel.. Looks like something I may do in the future next year.. By the install video someone posted.. It looks like a pretty straight forward install..:cool:
" The Best Part of this New Fuel Tank..Is.... NO AUX tank in the Bed.."

ricatic

I have the 50 gallon Titan tank in my 2011. It is a great addition to a already nice truck...My nephew and I installed it in less than 2 hours. Just be careful with the fuel line quick disconnects at the tank

Regards

mmomega

AnyTimer
Full install video by average Joe of a 50 gal titan on a 2011 super duty.
2nd vid installing the B&W companion.

camperjohn08

I completed the install if theB&W Gooseneck and companion 5'er hitch on my SD.. With the DEF tank, that is installed on 2011 and newer trucks.. It makes getting to and torqueing the bolts rather a pain.. But the money saved by doing it myself was well worth it.And yes, I must of looked @ the above video, along with others, quite a few times.. The fuel tank install is on my wish list for next year though.

ricatic

Full install video by average Joe of a 50 gal titan on a 2011 super duty.
2nd vid installing the B&W companion.

That "Average Joe" is a good friend of mine. He goes by the screen name "Epic Cowlick" over at Fort Truck Enthusiast's. He has become a bit of a star over there with his videos. We installed the Titan tanks in the same week. IF a Titan tank is in anyone's future, it is a great product. The only caution would be on the Ford installation the gasket arrangement/clamp plate is substantial but needs to be installed per the instruction's. You do not want a leak at that location.

Regards