Landmark window failures

360gal

Just took the rv ou and I have 3 foggy windows...the entire back picture window, and two sides. Why all of a sudden? Driest winter on record....

where should i go I go to get them repaired/replaced, and can I change them out to the flat frameless windows?

hi to all that I've not seen in awhile!

diana Skelte
360gal

jbeletti

Hi Diana,

I don't know what causes dual pane windows to fog nor if they can be repaired. I can tell you that you likely could have them all replaced wth the frameless-style windows but it would be quite costly. Probably $3k-$4k shipped to CA and installed (all just a guess).

Is your glass Kinro or Hehr? If it's Kinro, please give Lippert a call (574.537.8900). They will likely want your VIN, so have that ready.

On edit: Lippert purchased Duncan Systems and I see they do fogged window repairs. Though they are in Elkhart, IN and you're out west, it may be worth calling them to gather information.

On further edit: Found something online that talks about how/why dual pane windows get fogged. I'm not saying this info is accurate, but here's what "they" say:

As the inner space heats up, the inner air expands and is forced out of the compromised seal system. When the inner space air cools and contracts, humidity-laden air is drawn in bringing baggage with it that is deposited on the interior glass surfaces (usually turning into a white cloud look). RV failures seem to be between four and seven years
It appears they sell information on a process they've worked out to defog windows. Here's a link to their site.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
RV dual pane windows do not have the gas between the panes. I am sure that bouncing down our roads can loosen the rubber/plastic seals around the inner and outer glass. Thus letting some moisture enter the windows between the panes. The cure...who knows.

KWire

Hi Diana

Howard Payne had their "foggy windows" repaired by Suncoast Designers in Hudson FL. He wrote a very good blog entry about the process. You can find it here.

HTH, Keith

jbeletti

Keith - thanks for sharing Howard's article. I learned a lot:
- Fogged dual pane windows can usually be fixed
- The seals Suncoast Designers use are far superior than OEM seals
- It's not cheap but less expensive than replacing windows

scottyb

Hi Diana

Howard Payne had their "foggy windows" repaired by Suncoast Designers in Hudson FL. He wrote a very good blog entry about the process. You can find it here.

HTH, Keith

From that BLOG, it is obvious that fogging is a wide-spread problem among all levels of RV's. It looks like it has created a a few burgeoning businesses. There is also one in Arkansas that gets good reviews as well. Our new rig had fogged windows and we negotiated their replacement in the purchase agreement. They purchased all new windows (12) from the RV manufacturer. I asked them about just having them repaired, but this dealer said they preferred to install new windows over having them repaired. Not sure about the logic, but I wasn't going to argue the point. They also said that the new DP windows have much better seals and probably will not fail. I guess we will find out a few years down the road.