Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

mikeandconnie

That Great to hear Larry, Connie and I are headed back to Southern Cal. next month, We will try to make the Rally and see you there.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
GO Larry.
You inspire and lead the way for me!! Keep knowing their is so much support here for you. Unbelievable is all I can say about the Heartland Family. You all rock. Support to his wonderful family too...whether it is one of more.
His wife though has to have been so scared while he has taken this journey. Facing the real unknown.
Kudos...

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Quick update. Pain med doc has a plan. Knock off 5mg. of methadone a week, to get off the serious stuff first, and if I have to take an extra oxy for break thru pain, take it. It seems that it will take forever, but I must have patience. Oh well, I got a taste of withdrawal last night, when I missed a dose and woke up sweating, and hotter than ****, with my son putting a cold compress on my head, as I was burning up. Not smart, and it won't happen again, if I can help it.

Really discovered the other day at the pain doc's office, that I don't have it as bad as others. My DW Debbi and I met a 37 yr old pretty, young lady, Tracy in a wheel chair, who had Cerebral Palsy since birth, who was a delight, sitting there, all 87 lbs of her, sucking on a medicinal lollypop, and feeling sorry for me for having to wear a corset tightly around me. Can you believe it? She had her tired looking mom and dad there with her, their lives consumed by their sweet treasure's life long painful fight without an end. She had tears in her eyes from her pain, but she was still worried about me. It made me realize that I should be smiling at her, and being incredibly thankful that all I had to deal with was a spinal fusion. She inspired us both, and although that day I was hurting pretty badly, my spirits were uplifted, knowing that I had a good chance of recovery, even if it was 6 months away.

The doc said he was happy with my progress, but to realize it was a long road, and to just do what I had to do to get through another day toward recovery. The Physical Therapists are being really careful with me, because the first goal is to make sure I am careful, and grow stronger, and not to overdue it. Well, I did, and paid for it for 2 days, as my DW reminded me not to BLT (no bending, lifting, or twisting), which was difficult not to do. In a couple of weeks, the first hurdle will be to get an x-ray to make sure the fusion is fusing correctly. I am nervous, but hopeful. These are the dog days of recovery, just working hard, and trying not to take too many pain pills. That's all for now, more progress reports soon. Thanks for all the support, my Heartland friends are really helping me cope, and I appreciate it.

GETnBYE

Larry, Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are well on your way down that long road to recovery. And before you know it, it will be a short path. As with any journey, we can learn along the way and it sounds like that is what you are doing. When my husband and I are going anywhere if it turns out not to go so well and we have lots of trouble and sometimes it's horrible , we always call it an "adventure". Then later on while we tell the story of what went wrong we reference the story with the "adventure", because we tuffed it out.
You are tuffing it out, and I hope each day will get easier for you and the road ahead will get shorter each day.
Nita

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
It's been a tough week for me, I don't know about you. I thought I was on the road to recovery, actually getting cocky, which is always a bad idea for me, soooooo I did an extra 30 minutes of physical therapy, a couple of days ago. Holy cow, pain is a four letter word, and whoa, that's how I feel. Thank God for ice, I have been laying in it since then. Those pain meds are looking much better as well, lol. My back is killing me, so hopefully in a few more days I will feel better. Just a reminder for all of you friends over 50, the lesson of the day, don't do it. Don't pick up that heavy object, or bend down too fast, OMG, things can just turn the wrong way in an instant moment of bad judgement. I won't do that again, after a spinal fusion, I promise, please pain hit the road. LOL Anyway, my next update will hopefully be I am making great progress towards recovery. Just got to slow down and be patient and move a little bit slower.

My friends tell me to be honest on this thread, the good, bad and the ugly.

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
Time for the 60 day update. That sounds better than the 2 month post surgery update. LOL. Anyway, these are the dog days after the 11 inch incision, and I am hanging in there. No BLT's (bending, lifting, twisting), do you know how hard that is? Just ask anyone with a back problem. On Oct. 4th, going for the fusion xray, and hopefully the day I burn that evil back corset. Now if the pain would just go away, that would be the best day
ever. LOL. I keep hearing that the third month after back surgery is when you feel better each day, so let's all hope that's the way it goes. I have cut the pain meds in half, which has been extremely tough, and hopefully in another month or two, I will be drug free. I want to thank all my Heartland friends for all their support, I couldn't have got this far without all of you! And that's what its all about, folks.

This month has been a tough one for me. First, my 2009 Big Horn 3400RE was totaled, then I overdid the physical therapy, now I am just waiting for the new 2012 Landmark floorplans to be shown to the public. Then the dream will live again. We looked at other makes and models, but how can we desert Heartland? I don't want to go to another Heartland rally and be an SOB. LOL Debbi and I hope that by January my back will be much better, and we can order our new Landmark. Everybody keep your fingers crossed. And the hope lives on.......

jimtoo

Hey Larry and Debbi,

Your Heartland Family is here for you. Just ask and someone will be willing to help. Hang in there, you will be pain and drug free soon.

Debbi has been through almost as much pain as you have just watching you and taking care of you. It is a tremendous load on a loved one when their mate is sick or hurting. I have seen it from both sides, so hang in there and give the wife an extra hug and kiss.

Jim M

Larryheadhunter

Hi Jim,
You don't have to tell me about the Heartland family being there for me. That is a given, my friend. I just got a call from Larry (Southern Nights) checking up on me, thank you very much, as well as I think every day or two I get a PM or an email from a caring, supportive Heartlander. People tell me I am an inspiration to them, but all my Heartland friends are my inspiration, and that ain't no lie.

You also got it right about my DW Debbi, she is like a saint to me. 31 years married, and going strong, at least I think so, LOL, although I have no clue how she puts up with me. She definitely feels my pain, and suffers along with me. She also is waiting so that we can jump in our new rig and truck, early next year, and see this beautiful country that I fought for, and love with all my heart and soul. Every day that I have extra ouchies, she along with my Heartland friends and local pals give me strength, as well as my spirituality. I would be nothing without the love and guidance upstairs, who is with me always.

I hope that my words have helped a few of you out there, who have similar medical issues, as I am with you too on this roller coaster ride, hoping and wishing the pain would end, and the good life would resume.

Larryheadhunter

Hi everyone,
I thought I would update my progress today, for the few that are still following my recovery. It's been 2 and a half months now and all the leg pain I was having is completely gone. That's the good news for the day. Spinal fusion is a huge surgery but I am really pleased with being able to use my legs again. I spent the whole day today sending emails to everyone who is coming to the So Cal Buellton, CA rally, and it made me think how much I wish I was driving the old RV again. Well, even with all the craziness going on about Thor buying Heartland, I can't wait to see the new 2012 Landmark floorplans for sure. Instead Debbi and I will be staying in a cabin next to Jim and Nancy Beletti. Haven't seen them since last years Buellton rally. It will be great to catch up again.

Anyway, I am still suffering pretty bad with the pain in my back, but it too is slowly getting better. I know now what the docs mean when they say 3-6 months recovery, yea, they mean a year to recover from the splaying of my back, all 10 inches of that bad boy incision. I have cut out morphine completely, and now on half doses of methadone, and down to 2 oxycodones a day. I am pretty happy that I have been able to cut back that much so quickly. So I have to look at the good side, as my friend Tom (rolling home) reminded me today. Just shove those negative, depressing thoughts into the back of my head and forgetabout it. Thanks Tom, I needed a quick slap in the face, lol.

Two more weeks and the hospital bed goes back, and I get to sleep in my own bed with my saweeet wife Debbi again, if she still will talk to me. LOL. We have had some tough times over the last couple months having our Big Horn totaled, then my back surgery, then our water heater broke and flooded our downstairs. Now the good news is that I got a decent return from the insurance company for the rig, my back will eventually get mostly better, and we get new floors for the downstairs. Yeah, our glass is half full, not empty. How's that Tommy? Sounding more positive? You bet!

Thanks again for all your support, my Heartland friends, I can't believe how many of you asked Debbi and I to camp with you all over the country. Took our breath away, all these invites. Now this makes me want to go camping. I can't wait. Till my next report, everyone be safe, and come down to Southern CA and go to our rally 45 minutes north of Santa Barbara. We have 30 rigs and counting and can always make room for more Heartlands.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear things are going well and you are 'on the mend'. It won't be too long and you will be ready to roam the country. Keep a positive attitude and remember God is on your side and is the master Healer. Take care.

RollingHome

Larry, I know I gave ya tough medicine Larry... I know I wasn't easy on ya ! But tough it out dude, one step at a time until ya beat the illegitimate sons of life... you will win, they will loose... When you win, you'll say, nothing to it, just a speed bump of life... If Deb can put up with ya, Ya ought to be able to stand yer self too :) Now go gofer it.

Your ole distant bud Tom

dieselsweetheart

Larry, it's good to hear from you... sounds like you are on the right path to recovery every which way... our prayers continue for you! It's only a short 9 months to camping season again 2011.!

PSF513

So, exactly when is it that we won't have to have you tested? I just can't wait until we hear that announcement. You have become the Heartland Owners Club poster child and cult hero, all wrapped into one.

You just get straight so you can get back on the road and visit all of us. 10 feet tall and bullet proof. That's what I'm expecting

Larryheadhunter

Hi folks, it's time for the 100 day after surgery report after my spinal fusion. Pete, I wish I could live up to your expectations, just all the uplifting support and some occasional slaps in the face (thanks Tom), have helped get me through this horrific battle for recovery. I am thinking about having a telethon, and raising money to pay for the research so this spinal fusion technology would move along a little faster, and not be so primitive. Who wants to volunteer to sing and dance? LOL. You have to have a good attitude to get thru this h**l, which seems to be lasting forever. The biggest bummer was I had to cancel being the Wagon Master at the So Cal Rally in Buellton, CA last week, because the surgeon and physical therapist told me I cannot handle the 4 hour drive, nor the activity of the rally. Thank God Bob and Patty, and John and Lori took over and I was told it was a great rally.

Well, here is the latest:

I just had the 3 month spinal fusion xray to see if the fusion worked, and yes, according to the tests the fusion is taking hold, now somehow relate that info to my back, as it doesn't feel like its improving quite as fast as the surgeon said it should. The good news is that the shooting pains down my legs are completely gone, history, syonora, bye bye. The leg pain before surgery was so bad that I didn't realize how much my lumbar sacrum area hurt. That said, I am now on the last days of the dreaded corset, that I have become so dependent on for support. It used to be white, now it is quite tan, and dirty to say the least, but well used. They have also said the bone growth stimulator is on its last days as well. Now, if the pain would just hit the road, I would be a happy camper. Physical Therapy has become both the saving grace, and the biggest pain. While they are stretching my back out, and using stims and ice and heat and massage, I am in seventh heaven, until that night when the pain is soooo bad I can barely stand it.

The truth is, my HL friends, without all your support I would be in the obits by now. I thank each and every one of you for all of your uplifting words, prayers, emails, telephone calls, PM's and posts, even the tough love ones. It's a lonely time as many of you know trying to recover from getting cut in half. I know that if the Lord allows me to return to RV'ing I have friends all over North America, to go camping with and share my thanks. As you all know, before the surgery, the pain docs put me on high doses of morphine, and I am happy to report, that I have reduced the methadone from 120mg a day to 20 mg a day, and in 4 weeks more I will be off it completely. The oxycodone usage is tough to cut down, but I am down to half doses every 4 hours, and in 4 more weeks, will begin the scary road to being drug free. The plan will be to lessen the dose, and complement it with some low doses of Vicodin, until I am off all pain meds.

It is clear this recovery is not going as smooth as I wanted it to be, and I cannot even think about getting a new Landmark until early next year if I am lucky. The longest I can sit in a car is an hour a day right now, so we are trying to go to the Pomona RV show this week and see Jim B and analyze the new Landmark San Antonio. If we do, I will post as many pics as I can take, as the buyer has returned it to the show after backing out of the deal. The hard part will be leaving without a new rig, and then driving that second hour to get back home. Debbi does the driving, as I haven't been able to drive for almost a year now. She is a saint, I am so lucky to have such a wonderful wife of 31 years, its amazing she still puts up with me.

Well that's the latest my friends, some good, some not so good, but I still have the FAITH! Please keep me and all others with painful problems in your prayers, especially Debbie of Duane and Debbie, (porthole), as she is going through with having a stimulator placed in her back this week to hopefully avoid surgery.

Till my next report (sigh), everyone enjoy their end of the year trips, and drive safely!

PSF513

LARRY: Let me see if I can summarize.

You lost your Wagon Master status. The fusion worked. You are still a druggie but much less so. You are such a cult hero that you have your own chauffer. AND, to top it all off, you are looking at buying a rolling palace. :cool:

Other than the middle one (which I know you will kick and be far better for it), your life is one that gets better each day and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I'd say, NOT BAD FOR A FOR A GUY WHO HAS CAPTURED OUR INTEREST AND HEARTS!:angel:

Keep on keeping on. We'll continue to be here.

dieselsweetheart

Larry I think for the major surgery you endured you are coming along on target, and I'm sure your doctor and physical therapist would agree. We are the ones most hard on ourselves...my knee is "coming along"...better than it was 4 weeks ago but not as good as it can be. It may be another 3 months for my knee to get back to where it was pre-surgery. And I am anxious for that. Now think about the surgery you had. Way bigger than mine. Way bigger than a lot of other orthopedic surgeries. We don't understand how much our backs contribute to our state of well being until it goes bad. Then nothing is right with the world. Compound that with your issues with pain killers...and to hear that you are down to a miniscule dose of methadone....and I have to say "you've come a long way baby!" When my doctor told me to throw away my immobilizer I too was afraid I wasn't ready. But with support from my brother-in-law (fellow knee pain sufferer), the immobilizer came off and I walked my first steps without it....hey, not too bad. Weak, but ok. That's how you will feel about your girdle. You will adjust. You've come so far already....I see the checkered flag on your GPS of healing!! You are almost there. But be patient with your body. You'll get there...one day at a time!!!

Bless you Larry, and continued healing, both physically and spiritually!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey Larry, Glad to hear your healing is progressing and he the Lord's help will be complete soon. While you are healing I would like to suggest you read a book I just finished. It is "The boy who came back from heaven, a true story". It is written by Kevin and Alex Malarkey. I could not put it down and found it a book full of hope and love. Keep on plugging away and you will be 'on the road again' very soon.