Last chance to make hitch decision

SeattleLion

Our Bighorn 3160 Elite is heading over to the service department today for prep. Since this is our first fiver, we will be getting a hitch too. We have a 2014 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab, short bed, lariat diesel. I asked the sales department to set us up with a B&W Companion hitch. This morning, I spoke to the service manager, a guy I really trust. He said he swears by Reese hitches and is a bit doubtful about not getting a sliding hitch. I told him about this forum and the feedback was that we really don't need it. He said that at a convention last month he talked with the B&W guys who said they are releasing a new design. He promised to call me back after talking with his supplier.

I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Mrsfish

To repeat - we have the exact same truck and have a Bighorn 3010 (I believe the front caps are all the same) do NOT use a slider and we have no issues at all. We boondock a lot, so there's often creative parking involved. Again, never an issue -thank you heartland for your front cap design.

dbbls59

I would bet the dealership sells, and has on hand, Reese hitches, but does not have any B&W Companion hitches.

Mrsfish

I just had an idea - I know it's hard when you're new to something and you're trying to make the best decision for your needs. If you can- why not drive to a RV park and take a look at the different hitches being used. Most people don't mind if you ask questions regarding their choice - you might learn something to help in your decision. Or at least separate the good ideas from the not so good ideas. We use a hitch that we've only seen once before, but we absolutely love it and are pleased with our choice. Would never have gone this way if we had not seen one in a truck at the rv dealer and asked the owner a bunch of questions.

Kahoney

I am new to the 5ing and have been asking EVERYBODY. I currently have an Open Range TT and am on their forum and asked this same question a week ago and 90% of them all advise to get an autoslider. With our new purchase of a Gateway 3650 I don't think it will be an issue but I do not want to take a chance or have to buy another hitch with my next RV.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
With the HL front cap....you do not need a slider. First truck was a S/B Chevy with this BH. I could turn more than 90* without hitting the back window. I hated the slider...it was always clunking/banging when starting and stopping. I still have the same hitch (Husky)....just removed the slider part..........AAAAAAH.....now its quite.
A forum member (sandman) has a 2014 Ferd S/B and hates the hitch he has that fits the OEM rails (Reese I think). It clunks/bangs and drives him nuts.

SeattleLion

I would bet the dealership sells, and has on hand, Reese hitches, but does not have any B&W Companion hitches.

The dealer doesn't stock the hitches. They use Reese as a rule. The service manager and sales manager are fine with what I pick. The service manager put a call into a trusted resource about the B&W companion hitch. He did so at my request. Based on my reading here, the B&W seems to be the choice of many.

DW_Gray

Based on my reading here, the B&W seems to be the choice of many.

Yep, B&W is so good that even if you fail to place the locking pin in for about 150 miles down the very rough I95, it won't unlock. But I don't recommend anyone testing it.

SeattleLion

Yep, B&W is so good that even if you fail to place the locking pin in for about 150 miles down the very rough I95, it won't unlock. But I don't recommend anyone testing it.

That's good to hear. As a newbie to fivers, I am assuming I will screw up a few times. My dealer prefers Reese hitches, but is willing to the B&W. Since I know nothing, this is a real "adventure".

Bob

SeattleLion

My dealer's service manager did his homework with hitch suppliers and found that the Companion hitch has no known problems. We are going with the Companion non-slider. It turns out the $1,800 I paid for hitch and install is really a good deal. Just buying the hitch and the kit to install it on our truck (we have no hitch prep) is about $1,900 without labor. The dealer is happy to do the install and not charge us any more.

By the way, the companion hitch is now rated at 20,000 lbs tow and 5,000 lbs hitch weight.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My dealer's service manager did his homework with hitch suppliers and found that the Companion hitch has no known problems. We are going with the Companion non-slider. It turns out the $1,800 I paid for hitch and install is really a good deal. Just buying the hitch and the kit to install it on our truck (we have no hitch prep) is about $1,900 without labor. The dealer is happy to do the install and not charge us any more.

By the way, the companion hitch is now rated at 20,000 lbs tow and 5,000 lbs hitch weight.

That's awesome. I just bought a '14 ford without factory prep so I needed the gooseneck portion of the b&w and a 7 way installed. Friend who has local truck accessory shop installed for $611 including tax. My companion still works but could not take gooseneck portion from '08 due to frame changes. You will love the b&w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Good choice. If these good folks with SB trucks say you don't need a slider ………… Keep it simple. You will be amazed at how easy it is to remove / install the Companion with the factory prep.

TravisJen

Just curious what makes the Companion so good? We have a Reese Pro 20K that we got for $700 installed at the dealer when we bought our 5er and have no complaints with it.

scottyb

Just curious what makes the Companion so good? We have a Reese Pro 20K that we got for $700 installed at the dealer when we bought our 5er and have no complaints with it.

Things I like are; 1st and foremost is it's easy removal (2 min, zero tools) for a clean bed w/o rails. Positive latching with swing arm. If the jaws aren't completely closed, the arm will not swing into the latched position where you can place the pin. Easy hook / unhook on tilted or uneven ground.

dave10a

i used mine once in a tight spot in Utah. Generally you don't need a slider, but remember 88 degreses is not 90 :) I have a Reese 20K with a slider and was glad I had one for those rare times. BTY the TrailAir pin box is a great option as well. I don't even know the trailer is back there with it.

dennych1

Seattlelion I am going through the same thing with the hitch I think im leaning toward the B&W patriot it is lighter with no slider for my BH3160. Who know maybe ill change my mind last minute. let me know how you make out.

SeattleLion

Seattlelion I am going through the same thing with the hitch I think im leaning toward the B&W patriot it is lighter with no slider for my BH3160. Who know maybe ill change my mind last minute. let me know how you make out.

Based on my reading here and on the rvnet forum, the Companion seems to win out. I asked my dealer's service manager to verify that it is a good choice. He called his distributor and learned that there have been no complaints about the hitch. The Companion now has a load capacity of 20,000 lbs and a tongue weight of 5,000 lbs. The 3160 fully loaded is nowhere near that. So, I am going with that hitch. If all goes well with the trailer, I will be getting the hitch mounted on Friday and will do the PDI on the 3160 on Saturday. We have a short bed, crew cab and from what I am reading, there are no issues even without a slider.

Have you picked up your 3160 yet? Good luck with it!