Leaking Shower

71stang99

Don’t know if anyone has experienced this but my showerseems to be leaking from underneath the shower stall. If I run the shower it will eventually startto leak out from the seal around the tub on the floor. Is there such a thing as an easy fix for this? the shower is rarely used but was ran theother day for cleaning, I had noticed it in the past but this time confirmedyet ANOTHER issue with the 300c.
Oh and to the Heartland Cyclone warranty department, thanksfor the cruddy customer service last week, you honored to look at the problembut refused to buy the replacement part. Now I am on the hook for the cost for that fix, more like heartless vs.Heartland. I’ve given this trailerenough latitude for questionable quality based upon the reputation of impeccablecustomer service but so far this trailer has had several issues and only twoitems reported for service Heartland only repaired one.

danemayer

71Stang99,

I assume the one year warranty on your 2011 Cyclone has expired. Nevertheless, a call to Heartland Customer Service may get you some advice on how to deal with the leak, including who the shower manufacturer is for your model. If it was made by Shower Enclosures of America, another choice would be to call SEA at 800.536.7324 to discuss maintenance and get their thoughts on what might be leaking and how to fix it.

Btw, if there's any possibility that temps dropped below freezing while you had the unit stored, depending on how the unit was winterized, don't overlook the possibility that something froze and broke.

Other forum members may jump in with advice based on their experiences.

I'm sorry you're disappointed in Heartland Warranty Service, but if you are out of warranty, you're out of warranty. Heartland provides excellent customer service, but that doesn't mean that the warranty doesn't expire. Also consider that sometimes problems are not due to a defect - sometimes they're caused by our own mistakes, which are not covered by warranty.

71stang99

Thanks for the advice; the issue I have with Heartland is that they said the warranty started when the purchase agreement was started. That was a full two weeks prior to picking it up and I had it for a week. I posted an initial thread about issues with the trailer and the happy jack system was one of the problems listed. That being said I never reported the problem as the trailer was going into storage for ~10 months and when it was going to be pulled out I was going to report the problem at that time (thinking it was still covered). During that period there was no way for someone to be able to baby sit a technician to fix it, furthermore I was under the impression that the warranty was from the pickup date (not the purchase date). Heartland agreed to install the table (1st issue) and to look at the happy jack system, when the technician came to look at it and said what was wrong happy jack refused to provide the part and Iaddressed it with Heartland and they stated that it was 4 days out of warranty (even though the previous warranty tech agreed to have it looked at UNDER warranty). Regardless I told the tech this and that the warranty ended on a Saturday and no one would be there to report it. He essentially said tough luck and would try to get me a discount on the item from happy jack and that he would not honor the warranty even though they looked at it. So long story short I mentioned I could provide documented proof of what I was stating (trailer in storage etc.) and even mentioned that the issue was cited on this website (after initial acceptance) to no avail with the warranty tech. I call that s#!@@*customer service. Oh and the trailer was not in a climate where freezing was an issue.

danemayer

RV warranties are more complicated than what we're all used to on cars. On my GMC truck, it doesn't matter who made the subassembly; the warranty is managed by GM and if something goes wrong, GM fixes it.

Across the RV industry, warranty is not so simple. For example, on our Landmark, lots of stuff is warranted by Heartland. But the appliances and subassemblies (oven, refrigerator, A/C, surround sound, TVs, microwave, toilet, water pump awnings, frame, auto-leveling system, suspension, brakes, axles and more) are warranted by the individual manufacturer.

Most times, you'll just go to the dealer; they'll fix the problem and it'll be covered by warranty. Everybody's happy. But sometimes it doesn't work that way. I've found that the more I have to get involved, the less I like it. It can be a test of my patience and civility.

There have been a lot of discussions about this on the forum and it's fair to say that everyone would like RV industry warranties to be more like auto industry warranties. But at the moment, they're not.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I had a similar issue with my shower in my Big Country. I sealed the entire shower door assembly on the inside. That didn't seem to make much difference. Finally I caulked around the faucet access cover. It looks like that solved the problem. I think the water was getting behind that cover and running down across the floor under the shower.

71stang99

Thanks for the idea, I was concerned about it being a leak around the door or even the faucets. When I was running the shower this weekend it was not pointed to either and seeped from underneath the tub enclosure. If that is the case it might be a drain issue concerning a seal around the drain? One of the issues I did have at first (my fix not warranty) was that there was a leak, the leak was pronounced enough to run out to the bottom of the trailer and I traced it down to a fitting not tight enough behind the 'wall' for the shower fixture. Perhaps that was not tight enough but before it did produce visible water that leaked under the trailer, now water just seeps under the shower enclosure onto the bathroom floor.

I understand the difficulties of the warranty process however if a company based its product on quality and customer service they in this case are failing. Ive had several issues that I have addressed on my own time and effort and others that need to be addressed by Heartland. The happy jack is one of them and anything less is a strike againts them in my book, the punk (2nd tech) on the phone would not even listen to what the detailed problem was. In fact the repair tech who troubleshot the issue made it worse as the system now only will raise as before it went up and down and was only hanging on the guide block on the one post. Now the system is totally unusable and Ive got a situation where the tech said it needs a new 'post' for that corner and no one is willing to accept responsibility. I dont blame the tech as he thought it was covered under warranty and was messed up to begin with. Heartland should have understood that this was a happy jack problem and made it right.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I certainly don't want to stir the pot but I agree that a warranty should start on the day of delivery from the dealer to the first owner. I also feel that if the dealer tech said it should be under warranty, then they should honor that statement regardless of Heartlands position. I'm sure there's a bit of "room" in their profit margin for them to honor their statement.
Regarding the leak, you may be able to gain access to the shower drain and trap from behind the basement wall. It could be an easy fix if you're good with pvc or abs piping systems.

dmanson

I have 2012 BIGHORN 3670/w/three sliding door shower,found water comming from under shower by the tolite, been toldto check drain by taking the furnace out through the side and reach in and tighten the drain nut that way. Any thoughts?

danemayer

I have 2012 BIGHORN 3670/w/three sliding door shower,found water comming from under shower by the tolite, been toldto check drain by taking the furnace out through the side and reach in and tighten the drain nut that way. Any thoughts?

The advice might be right, but before taking the furnace out, take down the basement wall next to the UDC and see if you can spot the leak and maybe fix it from there.

dmanson

I took the basement wall out this a.m. and had to also take out the rest of the wall to get my big but close to the drain and guess what,the drain pipe went up through a 4 inch square hole through to a 1 1/2 " one and then out of sight,( no nut) .

dmanson

I just talked to a Ryan at costomer service at hartland and he said I was out of warrenty buy 3 months. THANKS HARTLAND

82tpsmith

I know this is an old thread, but thought I might chime in. I noticed a leak in my shower not long ago. Thought it might be leaking from under the shower pan, but after further inspection it was leaking were the glass meets the shower pan. The caulk had given way just a bit and was causing a leak to the floor. Looked very deceving though. i decided to take the long route. Took all the metal and glass fixtures out to clean and re caulk. I was amazed at what I found. The most disgusting sludge under metal frame, all from a little water leak. After seeing that I decided to eliminate the glass dor and instal a shower curtain. I made a shower curtain rod out of PVC tubing. Actually extended it out a couple of inches from where the metal frame was to give a little more elbow room. Still working out a couple of design kinks, but seems to be working well.

4ever

I have a 2011 Landmark, Grand Canyon and had the same problem with the water leak. Not all the time but once in awhile I would get water coming from under the shower stall. I calked the are where the faucet meets the stall and I have not had the problem since.

Ted