Looking at air bags

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Newbie Alert....Newbie Alert....

At what point do you consider adding air bags? This is our first 5th wheel and my F-350 seems to handle the weight fine. Tows great...
When I was towing with a 2500 I had to add the airbags to maintain a level ride.
Now with the RAM 3500 and the trailer hitched up it sags about 2.5" and brings the truck and trailer to just about level and it rides great.
I have not added airbags and doubt I ever will.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

I added air bags to keep the truck level. Keeps the headlights out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. Also my trailer sits a little bit low in the front, this helps level it out.

DocFather

I installed AirLift on my new Chevy truck but find it is almost not needed as the Cyclone barely compresses the springs . . .

I hesitated to add the Air Lift System to my Silverado 3500HD Dually for the same reason. But I liked the ride with the Firestone System I had on my Sierra 1500 when I would load 2 950# Harleys in the bed. I think the ride is smoother with the assistance and I think it helps the suspension last longer.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Why did you have to replace the manifold?

Just hooked mine up yesterday and found the controller is not talking to the manifold. But the manifold apparently is working mechanically, as it added 5 PSI when I turned it on and adjusted automatically as needed.

Good discussion here on air bags. I have the Air Lift bags on my F450. I didn't install them - Classy Chassis did.

I have the wireless control system and compressor. I really like the ability to add air or dump air at the touch of an in-cab controller. While my controller is wireless, I'd be just as happy with non-wireless system that had an in-cab gauge and air/dump switch. The in-cab gauge/switch I believe require running an air line and more wires into the cab whereas the wireless control system is just that - a wireless controller I clip to the visor that's a little thicker than a garage door opener.

I can however, see the benefit of "keeping it simple" by having only a manual fill, no compressor and no wireless controller, wiring etc.

Just yesterday, I replaced the "manifold" for my Air Lift sytem. I bought a refurb from Air Lift. The refurb was still expensive ($162 delivered). Once I replaced the manifold, I had to pair (join) the wireless controller to it.

View attachment 35881

If anyone's curious as to the install process for the Air Lift "Gen 3 Kit 72000" or wants to look at the quality of the docs - here's a link.

jbeletti

Why did you have to replace the manifold?

Just hooked mine up yesterday and found the controller is not talking to the manifold. But the manifold apparently is working mechanically, as it added 5 PSI when I turned it on and adjusted automatically as needed.

Duane - my truck was riding rough, as if I had little or no air in the bags. I used the wireless controller to add air and while the controller allowed me to punch up the air, no air was being added. Messing with it more, I was getting a code on the display. Called Air Lift and was advised that the code was rare and whenever they saw it, it was always a bad manifold. I ordered the refurb manifold and that was the fix.

Also, when I was adding Ts to both bag lines so I could add a schrader valve to each line to manually add air until I got the replacement manifold, air was leaking out of the manifold while I was airing via the T. I guess a seal or valve internally was blown?? Maybe moisture got frozen in there and blew it out??

In terms of your controller, maybe try re-pairing (JOIN) it to the manifold. See the instruction in the manual I linked or give me a quick call.

porthole

Retired
I will try the re- pairing, when it stops raining and warms up a bit. Mid to upper 30's last 2 days here.

rpotter

I added the air bags to ensure I get a level ride and don't get the highbeam flash due to tilted up front end. I also figure that even though my f350 is rated for more than the trailer pin weight, taking off some of the stress will prevent future spring sag. I haul long distances a well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hansel

Newbie here, I'm not new too camping I just upgraded from a travel trailer too a Prowler 5th wheel, I was surprised that my truck (F-250) didn't drop has much as I thought it would in the rear, but I did notice some bouncing going over like bridge's, and hard dip's in the highway. So is anyone using the Timbren SES stuff??? I'm kinda a guy that like too bolt something on and not have too keep up with it (air) but I am leaning towards air because of the adjust ability of them.

bigdob24

Thanks for all the thoughts. Lots of info here.
Need to look around locally and get an idea for cost of the install and then decide.
Dan

avvidclif

Newbie here, I'm not new too camping I just upgraded from a travel trailer too a Prowler 5th wheel, I was surprised that my truck (F-250) didn't drop has much as I thought it would in the rear, but I did notice some bouncing going over like bridge's, and hard dip's in the highway. So is anyone using the Timbren SES stuff??? I'm kinda a guy that like too bolt something on and not have too keep up with it (air) but I am leaning towards air because of the adjust ability of them.

Start with a new set of shocks.

DIYJunkie

I had Firestones on my Tacoma with a bumper pull. I have them on my F250 with a fifth wheel. Improves the ride and levels the truck. Don't over inflate, just enough to bring the truck back to the level before hitching up. Watch the minimum inflation.

I had the Firestones installed on my F250 for about $200,too complicated with the B&W Turnover Ball hitch and cold in MN when when I wanted to install them. Self installed on the Tacoma.

olcoon

When I looked at the title of this thread, for some reason what came to mind was my ex-wife & her mother!

olcoon

Hey come on Jim, I'm not the president, CEO, and head BSer at the Texas Story Fest like someone I know!!! :angel:

Sniper

I installed the Timbren SES on my F-350 Dually last year and really like them. Easy to install, and no worries of an air bag, or line leak. Really improved the loaded ride height, and stability in curves, also when the truck is not loaded I don't have to worry about re-adjusting the bags, because the system does not touch the axle when unloaded (if they are installed correctly). Some say they ride rough, but I don't own a 1 ton truck for it's great ride quality.

'Lil Guy'

I also had he Timbrens on my truck and they worked fine. Not noticeable without a load. Just added an extra fuel tank to my truck and for some reason opted for the Firestone 5000 air bags that need to be inflated to 5 PSI at all times. That puts them in contact and the ride is noticeably harsher. Not too bad, but definitely feel the difference. Probably should have just stayed with the Timbrens. My new airbags are manually inflated at the rear. Simpler setup and not much chance of anything going out on the system keeping it simple.

Grizpaul

Dave, read your reply with interest. I too have a 2013 Ram CC 4x4 Aisin SRW so will likely add bags to compensate for lack of DRW. My question: do you have the 3.42 and if so, any issues? If not the 3.42, what do you have? Thanks in advance for your reply. Paul

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Grizpaul, I have the 3.73 ratio in the back. I have no issues with that gearing.
Bernie, Happykraut on the forum, has a 2015 RAM, CC 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisan with the 3.42 and has no issues.
If you have a 3500, I would hitch up and tow with it before adding air bags.
I just had my rig weighed and have 3,500 pounds of pin weight. No problemo.
What are you towing, or planning to tow?

Peace
Dave

Grizpaul

Thanks for your response. We are looking at either a BH 3160 or BH 3570. Both have lower dry hitch weights so with the added weight of our 'stuff', we should still be OK. We are paying close attention to the weights and would really prefer to stay with the single rear axle but will go DRW If needed for safety. Your advise re airbags sounds wise and we will most likely tow for awhile and see if bags are needed. Thanks again. Safe travels.