Looking at air bags

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have the Firestone Air Bags with the wireless Air Lift controller for the on-board compressor. Wanted to be able to change the setting on the fly while traveling down the road. Works great.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Do you think a simple 12 volt compressor will do the job?

Yep, I bought a $30, 12 volt air compressor at AutoZone. I wired a 12 power outlet from the battery compartment over into the front compartment. The airbags are small. It only takes about 10 seconds to fill them up.

Bones

Yep, I bought a $30, 12 volt air compressor at AutoZone. I wired a 12 power outlet from the battery compartment over into the front compartment. The airbags are small. It only takes about 10 seconds to fill them up.

Great thanks

I went with PacBrake airbags and the Airlift Wireless controller and compressor system

On my truck, PacBrake was the preferred option because I didn't need to drill in the frame to mount them. Also, the airbags support the frame, not a bracket bolted tot he side of the frame.

Bones

My air bags were installed today. So much for no drilling required.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think I will combine both lines so that both air bags have the same pressure for the time being

Attachments

• IMG_20150718_191916.jpg
    IMG_20150718_191916.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20150718_191852.jpg
    IMG_20150718_191852.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20150718_192038.jpg
    IMG_20150718_192038.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 173

JWalker

My air bags were installed today. So much for no drilling required.

I think I will combine both lines so that both air bags have the same pressure for the time being

I heard it was highly recommended not to combine both bags. As the load shifts, it puts more weight on one bag, forcing air into the other bag. At least that's what I heard. I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowledge.

jam20ster

I would highly recommend against using the airbags w/ common airline. I did this on my last setup and it did not ride good. As stated earlier the pressure/load shifts side to side when a bump is hit and is noticable.

Each bag on its own airline is best. Plus you will have less leak points since you do not have to add a "T" connector.

Bones

Thanks for the advice. I can see where higher pressure due to cornering and load shifts can change the dynamic. I'm ready to tow now but have no where to tow the trailer.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I would highly recommend against using the airbags w/ common airline. I did this on my last setup and it did not ride good. As stated earlier the pressure/load shifts side to side when a bump is hit and is noticable.

Each bag on its own airline is best. Plus you will have less leak points since you do not have to add a "T" connector.

I installed mine last summer and they are tied together and have never noticed such a phenomenon. We are on our return leg from Alaska and lets just say the highways in the Yukon and Alaska are far from premier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

I installed mine last summer and they are tied together and have never noticed such a phenomenon. We are on our return leg from Alaska and lets just say the highways in the Yukon and Alaska are far from premier

So, how long to get home?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well we're in Montana right now near where youngest son lives for another week or so.
b5fa8e131ec47629609b429804188d0e.jpg

Big Sky Montana day here !!!
Just chillin after a lot of road miles in AK and back to the lower 48. We've driven over 13K miles to date so we'll hit 16K by the time we get home. Should be back in PA by mid August.

GWRam

Do you think a simple 12 volt compressor will do the job?

The volume and pressure is so low that before leaving house to get camper I use a bicycle pump to fill bags. On my 2500 I had left and right connected., never noticed any problems. On my 3500 I kept the full separate, they included a nice dual fill bracket that zip tied to regular trailer hitch frame.

What did you have to drill during install?
I didn't need to drill Ram 2500 or 3500 dually.

Bones

The volume and pressure is so low that before leaving house to get camper I use a bicycle pump to fill bags. On my 2500 I had left and right connected., never noticed any problems. On my 3500 I kept the full separate, they included a nice dual fill bracket that zip tied to regular trailer hitch frame.

What did you have to drill during install?
I didn't need to drill Ram 2500 or 3500 dually.

I had to drill the lower bracket on the frame holding the brake lines. Then I had to widen the front hole on the supplied lower bracket so that the bolt would go all the way through and I could bolt them together. My 2500 has coil springs and that could be causing some of the difference.

JWalker

I had to drill the lower bracket on the frame holding the brake lines. Then I had to widen the front hole on the supplied lower bracket so that the bolt would go all the way through and I could bolt them together. My 2500 has coil springs and that could be causing some of the difference.

Have you towed with them yet? Just aired up last night. Hooked up and ready to head north in 4 hours.

Bones

Have you towed with them yet? Just aired up last night. Hooked up and ready to head north in 4 hours.

nope. I am waiting patiently to tow with them. My truck is back in the shop again. I'm so tired of taking it in for work even if it is warranty.

JWalker

nope. I am waiting patiently to tow with them. My truck is back in the shop again. I'm so tired of taking it in for work even if it is warranty.

That would get old quick. Will it qualify for the "buy back".

Bones

That would get old quick. Will it qualify for the "buy back".

nope. and it wont qualify for a lemon either because it is not safety related. We tried looking at turning it in and we would just clear what we owe and then look at a dually but we haven't heard anything back from the other dealership. It sucks. All the crap that goes wrong is little stuff but that adds up over time of having to take off work drop it off get a rental wait for a couple of days get it back. works for a little while then something else goes wrong. such fun. The engine itself pulls hard and I like it. the engine I mean.

Bones

nope. and it wont qualify for a lemon either because it is not safety related. We tried looking at turning it in and we would just clear what we owe and then look at a dually but we haven't heard anything back from the other dealership. It sucks. All the crap that goes wrong is little stuff but that adds up over time of having to take off work drop it off get a rental wait for a couple of days get it back. works for a little while then something else goes wrong. such fun. The engine itself pulls hard and I like it. the engine I mean.

I think I was babbling again.