Looking at air bags

GWRam

Our 2015 RAM 3500 Mega CC DRW Aisan with 4.10 rides well and level when all hitched. I added the firestone bags for use on our long night drives to keep headlight angle down lower and out of truckers faces. During day runs I inflate them very little if at all above the min psi required.

Grizpaul

Thanks GR for the post. Since college days many years ago, I've not done much night time driving and hope to not pull the 5er after dark. None the less, should we find ourselves doing some, a thoughtful and considerate gesture to the other night time drivers is to keep the beams lower, using bags if needed. I do expect my SRW will hunker a bit more than a DRW so will keep your input in mind.

farside291

I want to add airbags to my Dually to soften the ride over bumps. Those that installed bags did you remove the factory thick overload spring. This is what I want to do and only have the airbags as overloads. When my fifth is hooked I am squarely on the overload springs. As long as I don't hit any bumps the ride is OK but hit a bump and the overload spring kicks back...hard! I have a lot of weight on my pin because of the front bath, my last fifth wheel had a more conventional layout with the bath in the middle just aft of the front bedroom and I didn't notice the hard hits over bumps near as much. So what does everyone think? Remove the heavy overload spring or leave it in place.

Bones

I want to add airbags to my Dually to soften the ride over bumps. Those that installed bags did you remove the factory thick overload spring. This is what I want to do and only have the airbags as overloads. When my fifth is hooked I am squarely on the overload springs. As long as I don't hit any bumps the ride is OK but hit a bump and the overload spring kicks back...hard! I have a lot of weight on my pin because of the front bath, my last fifth wheel had a more conventional layout with the bath in the middle just aft of the front bedroom and I didn't notice the hard hits over bumps near as much. So what does everyone think? Remove the heavy overload spring or leave it in place.

If you put bags on and level the truck out you should not hit the the heavy springs. I would leave them as protection and backup in-case a bag ever pops.

rpotter

I agree with Bones. I would think the air bags would take the load off the springs and take any initial impact before hitting the overloaders. I also think it is better to have them in case they are needed. I would definitely try the bags with the overloaded springs first.

EPaulikonis

x2 rpotter. I added Firestone airbags on my Ram and didn't touch the springs. You'll want to the overload in place in the event your airbag has a failure. Failure isn't common, but it is possible and you'll want the full spring in place when it does.

My rig has ~3,500lb pin on most hauls. I usually run 50-60 psi in each bag which brings the rear of the truck to stock height with no load. You'll be amazed at how well your truck handles when towing once you add the bags and get the psi dialed in. Good luck.

Bones

x2 rpotter. I added Firestone airbags on my Ram and didn't touch the springs. You'll want to the overload in place in the event your airbag has a failure. Failure isn't common, but it is possible and you'll want the full spring in place when it does.

My rig has ~3,500lb pin on most hauls. I usually run 50-60 psi in each bag which brings the rear of the truck to stock height with no load. You'll be amazed at how well your truck handles when towing once you add the bags and get the psi dialed in. Good luck.

Do the Firestone ride-rite bags fit nicely in place on the Ram? I am looking at them for mine.

GWRam

Fit nicely and Easy install...
I put a set on my 2500 and now on my 3500. Bolts to frame where bump pads currently are located and sits on and is bolted around axle. Done. The most variable part is how and where you want to run your the air lines.
The new kit I just purchased has a nice bracket that will hold both fill ports which you can zip tie to your frame where you like. No drilling any holes.
Two wrenches and an Allen wrench all that is need for install. And about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Fit nicely and Easy install...
I put a set on my 2500 and now on my 3500. Bolts to frame where bump pads currently are located and sits on and is bolted around axle. Done. The most variable part is how and where you want to run your the air lines.
The new kit I just purchased has a nice bracket that will hold both fill ports which you can zip tie to your frame where you like. No drilling any holes.
Two wrenches and an Allen wrench all that is need for install. And about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks GWRam

EPaulikonis

They do fit nicely. Just be sure you get the right kit because there is a difference between a 3500 SRW and DRW setup. Most difficult part of the install for me was adding the 90 degree air fitting on top of the airbag. You can't install it until the airbag is in place and it screws into the top of the bag. The problem is there's not much room to get a wrench into place to turn the fitting tight because of the suspension brackets on either side. I actually broke one of the fittings during the install by nocking the pressure fitting for the flexible hose off. Other than that, I'm really happy with the product.

we just purchased the air lift bags and are in the process of installing now for our f250 the new fifth wheeler does lower the back of our truck so we hope this will make her level

Bones

we just purchased the air lift bags and are in the process of installing now for our f250 the new fifth wheeler does lower the back of our truck so we hope this will make her level

I think my worst part was when i hit huge dips in the road at 68 mph I heard my 5er slam my 5th wheel and shove my whole truck down. That was not a good feeling. I am hoping the air bags will prevent that as we do plan on making more road trips.

justafordguy

The air lift 5000+ bags I have also have an internal bumper to stop the bottoming even if you are running low pressures. They made a huge difference in the way it handles pot holes. I run 50psi in mine so it only drops the truck 1" which makes it level.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have Firestone Air Bags and the wireless Air Lift controller. Also a Hensley TS3 hitch which has shocks and air bags. Really helps on some of the crummy roads.

Pizzaguy

We have Firestone Air Bags and the wireless Air Lift controller. Also a Hensley TS3 hitch which has shocks and air bags. Really helps on some of the crummy roads.
I have the exact same set-up plus the Trail Air Tri Glide pinbox. The air hitch is great but having the wireless air bag controller is equally as important for a nicer ride.

Bones

I placed an order for the Firestone Ride Rite air helper bags. I didn't order any compressors or anything yet. The wireless compressor was a fortune

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I placed an order for the Firestone Ride Rite air helper bags. I didn't order any compressors or anything yet. The wireless compressor was a fortune

I did not order the compressor either. For now, I just ran separate valves back to the license plate of the truck. When I back under the trailer, I can fill it from the compressor in the front storage compartment. It works fine for me.

Bones

I did not order the compressor either. For now, I just ran separate valves back to the license plate of the truck. When I back under the trailer, I can fill it from the compressor in the front storage compartment. It works fine for me.

Do you know if you have to deflate your bags before you unhook? Will the truck stop going up if your don't deflate?

sdwelling

I did my own on my F 450. Stuck with manual inflate - ran the schraeder valve through the rear license plate. Inflates easy with a bike pump. Went with Air Lift.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have had the Firestone Ride Rite airbags on my last 2 F350 Dually's and have not had a single problem with them during those 11 years. I will say that I regret not getting the onboard compressor. I am considering getting it installed now after the fact.

Rod