loose slide out trim

1231ChaseB

Well i did a small blunder the other day and for lack of not paying attention to what i was doing while extending one slide out i got something caught behind the slide out trim and the wall ! Now it's loose and i need to run some screws into it but don't know what's behind the trim to screw into ???? Has anybody else had this situation ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
chaseb

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
chase,, any chance of a couple pictures? I know that the aluminum trim is attached to the outer frame perimeter which is also aluminum. You should be able to straighten out any kinks and add screws along the length of the bent area. Be sure to use fresh caulk. Especially over any holes from the older screws. It would really help if I could understand xactly what your situation is though.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If yours rig is built like our Sundance was, there is a wood stud (more like a 1x3) behind the fascia which is attached to an aluminum stud by a sheetmetal type screw. You probably forced the screw from the wood stud out of the aluminum stud, most likely ripping that screw hole. It's an easy fix, but tricky to take off the fascia board. The fascia board is not real strong! You have to very carefully note where it is attached with finishing nails and gently pry the fascia off the backing stud. Once you have the fascia off, you can put new screws thru the wood stud into the aluminum and then reattach the fascia (a small finishing nail gun works great for this).

Last edited:

1231ChaseB

Thanks boatto5er ! I did what you suggested and the trim came off without breaking ! Reset the screws and i'm good to go !
Thanks again
chaseb

RoyEdwards

I have the same problem, 2009 Big Horn 3600RL. I've looked and looked and don't see any nails hold the fascia boards on! Am I blind or is there another method?

jimtoo

Hi RoyEdwards,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. I see you have been a member for a while, hope you have been watching and learning things if needed.

I'm sure your not blind. I assume your talking about the trim around the slide inside the trailer. The factory does a pretty good job of filling the nail holes with matching putty to hide them but they are there.

Jim M

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Thanks for the instructions Gus they will come in handy in the very near future.

PS: I will never, ever, ever put that cooler there again!