Love affair begins to wain

remoandiris

Got a call from a LazyDays tech. He found the problem with the surging water pump. He changed the pressure setting and ran the pump to verify the fix.

As for the fireplace thermostat, he said the thermostat is internal to the unit. That means when the fireplace itself heats up, the thermostat is useless. He stated he could replace the circuit board or the entire unit, but it will happen again. So, I just have to live with it. Thanks HL for sourcing equipment that sucks.

Now I wait for the fix action on the slide roller.

remoandiris

Apparently HL thinks the slide roller problem had been fixed by CW even though it never was. In fact the damage/problem is worse. But, HL is slow-rolling approval for Lazy Days to fix the problem.

When I dump this CY4000 I will NOT miss it like I miss the used Jayco I traded in.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well, IMHO, I think you have been stroked...lied to and any other term you want to use. I guess you can adjust the pressure on a w/pump but I have never heard of it before. If the pump was the problem...then replace it. The fireplace lie is just that. Sounds like CW DOES NOT want to fix your CY. Why dont you call Dometic and ask them about your fireplace and how it works. Sounds to me like the tech that is working on your CY was working a McDonalds last week flipping burgers.

remoandiris

My rig is at Lazy Days. They don't seem to have the high personnel turnover like CW in Cocoa. The fireplace is not Dometic. I have read other reports on this forum (in other brand pages) of the same thing happening. HL seems to buy a lot of crap components for their units. The dumb consumers keep buying them. I am far from enamored with this whole situation.

Definitely soured me to HL products.

BTW, I did email the HL cust svc rep I have dealt with from the start. I asked him to look into the delay with HL approving the slide repair. If CW got paid for something, HL should go after them because CW did NOTHING to fix the slide other than take pics and tell HL they can't do the fix the way HL wants them to.

DW_Gray

I, of all people, can relate to your frustrations. During the last five years of full time travel, I've never been to the same RV repair center twice. And of all of them, except for one, I became very disappointed when I learned I was suckered by another bunch of incompetent service people. I think that is the real problem. I've found that once Heartland fully understood the problem, they are better able to provide a remedy. Maybe, and I can't say it with certainty, Heartland's only fault could be not giving enough credit to the owner's explanation and too much to the repair center. Personally, I've gotten to the point I'd be far better off doing the repairs myself because I certainly can do a better job. But that's just me because I've had the technical training and working experience that exceeds 99.9% of the repairman I've encountered. Heck, I've even paid for, without reimbursement, and performed warranty repairs just because I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience.

Don't give up on Heartland.

And one other point, I refuse to take my RV to CW.

Cjackg

Not anymore! I was just there and no more free lunch!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

The **** junk that HL uses is the same **** junk everyone else uses. Unless you buy a $500K bus. In fact HL uses what is on the market....they dont make it...they buy it like you would a dishwasher for your home. After all that has been said....why do you keep taking it back to CW? You have been advised numerous time to take it to an independant service center to have it repaired. Someone that "KNOWS" what they are doing. Its hard for me to feel bad for you when you keep hitting your toe with a hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

remoandiris

The **** junk that HL uses is the same **** junk everyone else uses. Unless you buy a $500K bus. In fact HL uses what is on the market....they dont make it...they buy it like you would a dishwasher for your home. After all that has been said....why do you keep taking it back to CW? You have been advised numerous time to take it to an independant service center to have it repaired. Someone that "KNOWS" what they are doing. Its hard for me to feel bad for you when you keep hitting your toe with a hammer.

I know HL does NOT make many of the components. However, other manufacturers don't put all the same "junk" in their units. there are water pumps, fire places, toilets and slides that don't fail.

How many different ways can I say the unit is at Lazy Days? Or do folks not realize Lazy Days is one of the largest dealers in the US with locations in Tampa and Tucson? Lazy Days is NOT a CW. I purchased this lemon at Lazy Days. I took it to CW in Cocoa, Fl based on the recommendation from HL and because it is 30 min from my house. Once CW failed to perform I told HL I was taking the unit to Lazy Days which is 3 hrs from my home.

oscar

Personally, I've gotten to the point I'd be far better off doing the repairs myself because I certainly can do a better job. But that's just me because I've had the technical training and working experience that exceeds 99.9% of the repairman I've encountered. Heck, I've even paid for, without reimbursement, and performed warranty repairs just because I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience.

This. I hate to say it, but if you can't fix things you should think twice about owning one of these things. Stick with hotels and resorts.

DW_Gray

This. I hate to say it, but if you can't fix things you should think twice about owning one of these things. Stick with hotels and resorts.

By the same analogy, I'd guess you'd also say that if a person couldn't fix a home, they should stick with renting or staying in a hotel.

If we all did our repairs 100% of the time, then would we not put the repairers out of business? Just because some are not able to do repairs doesn't mean they should not enjoy the benefits RV or home ownership. Some can afford not to do their own repairs and others have reason to spend time doing other things than doing repairs.

Just saying.

remoandiris

I hate to say it, but this is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. What part of "1-yr warranty" do you not understand? Or do you think buyers should just eat it when the manufacturer promises a 1-yr warranty.

If your example applies to autos as well, I guess I should rent vehicles instead of owning them since I can't rebuild an engine or transmission.

caissiel

2 friends here at CG came to me with question about their truck.
One a 2005 Duramax with stall problem, I told him it was wire related. Brought it to GM dealer and they changed harness, but I told him they better show him the old harness removed. He asked and they told him they could not find it. $2000 repair with no proof.

The other had a coolant leak on a 2010 Ford. I told him to get a better after market rad. Brought his truck to Ford and they changed the rad and found all kinds of other stuff wrong that needed fixing, like rear seals that needs the whole rear brake assembly to be removed. I asked if he saw the problem, but he could not go in the shop.
An other $2000 plus ripeoff, he was told not covered on powertain warranty.
I never put that much repairs on my trucks in 9 years each.

This is just 2 people I met here and how many more took their RV and trucks for service with same BS.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One a 2005 Duramax with stall problem, I told him it was wire related. Brought it to GM dealer and they changed harness, but I told him they better show him the old harness removed. He asked and they told him they could not find it. $2000 repair with no proof.

The first question I would ask is what type of fuel filter is being used.
I had stall problems with my 07 Duramax. I consulted a friend that knows a whole lot more than I do about the Duramax.
His first question was what type of filter. Seems that on a bunch of diesel forums there were complaints about the new style NAPA plastic body filters.
That's what I had on. Changed it to a GM metal body filter and no more stalls.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

No it was definitely electrical with instant stall that did not run. He had 2 bad injectors. But its the principal of going at it with blinders that I don't agree with. And my friend at this time was aware of the problem.

whp4262

The other had a coolant leak on a 2010 Ford. I told him to get a better after market rad. Brought his truck to Ford and they changed the rad and found all kinds of other stuff wrong that needed fixing, like rear seals that needs the whole rear brake assembly to be removed. I asked if he saw the problem, but he could not go in the shop.
An other $2000 plus ripeoff, he was told not covered on powertain warranty.
I never put that much repairs on my trucks in 9 years each.

This is just 2 people I met here and how many more took their RV and trucks for service with same BS.

My brother was a service writer for a number of years, he worked for Chevy, Dodge and Ford. I stopped to see him one day at the last dealership that he worked at and while I was standing there he turned his computer screen so I could see it and started clicking through invoices. Not a single invoice was less than $1000.00 with the average around $1200.00. He said the dealership internal policy was when a vehicle comes in for service sell the customer at least $1000.00 in repairs minimum.

Bob&Patty

WHP, I dont know what dealer and brand vehicles were involved, but I can tell that is not the norm. I have never..ever worked at dealer that the service advisor would not walk the owner back to see an added repair and why it was needed. Then the owner can say yes or no to the repair. If was a GM dealer and a consumer filed a complaint with the BAR.... heads would roll. If they pad warranty claims...GM would pull an adit and every suspect part would examined. If fraud was found, the monitary amounts would be extremely large ($100k+), all the claims would be charged back to the dealer, and they could even loose their franchise. Please dont say I am wrong...cause worked in GM dealers for 45 years and I have seen it happen. Doors were closed and I was out of a job. BTW, as a tech, service advisor, and manager, I would never have condoned this. "Sell them what they need only and they will come back".

jimtoo

WHP, I dont know what dealer and brand vehicles were involved, but I can tell that is not the norm. I have never..ever worked at dealer that the service advisor would not walk the owner back to see an added repair and why it was needed. Then the owner can say yes or no to the repair. If was a GM dealer and a consumer filed a complaint with the BAR.... heads would roll. If they pad warranty claims...GM would pull an adit and every suspect part would examined. If fraud was found, the monitary amounts would be extremely large ($100k+), all the claims would be charged back to the dealer, and they could even loose their franchise. Please dont say I am wrong...cause worked in GM dealers for 45 years and I have seen it happen. Doors were closed and I was out of a job. BTW, as a tech, service advisor, and manager, I would never have condoned this. "Sell them what they need only and they will come back".

I completely agree with you Bob. I too was GM and Chrysler certified with the highest approval authorization both manufactures allow. I also have seen audits because of someone screwing up. Not fun and I have to live in a small town with my customers as neighbors and friends.

Jim M

DW_Gray

I completely agree with you Bob. I too was GM and Chrysler certified with the highest approval authorization both manufactures allow. I also have seen audits because of someone screwing up. Not fun and I have to live in a small town with my customers as neighbors and friends.

Jim M

+2!

I recently took my Smart car into the Mercedes dealership at Sacramento, CA and the service rep took me back to see the tech. The tech had videoed the test with his iPad to slow me compression test results. First time that has ever happened, but then again, that's the quality service of Mercedes. No auto service center has ever refused my request of saving parts or showing me the problem. And if someone told me they misplaced a removed part, I won't accept that answer. I'll politely state I'm staying till they find it and go from there.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think the point was that RV Dealer repair shops leave much to be desired, and RVs are not built like we expect them to be for the cost of ownership. They use a variety of parts from a variety of manufacturers with who-knows-what quality control, and RVs are designed for immediate eye-appeal over longevity. It's not "if" something breaks, but "when". So if you are getting into RVing, it's best to be a little handy and be able to fix it yourself, or have the patience and/or money to have it fixed by someone else. Thank goodness for this forum that helps with many an issue! I think I would have pulled my hair out by now if I hadn't found this place. I love my experiences with my ElkRidge. I don't especially like fixing things, but to have the experiences, we have to expect we'll have a few issues along the way. If you spend all your energy getting PO'd every time something comes up, you'll never enjoy RVing.