Lube Question

olcoon

I'm in the process of greasing the wet bolts & Equi-Flex, and have run across a problem. Out of the 20 zerks, I can't get grease in two of them. I've had this problem before (its on the off door side), and usually/sometimes after a while it'll take the grease. But today no matter what I do or try they are being stubborn.

I've got a pneumatic grease gun, and it's set at 90 psi. I even ran it up to 110 psi, and still no luck. Also when I first started lubing them, I had the tires off the ground. When they wouldn't take grease, I put the tires back on the ground & still no luck. Also, I've removed the zerks, and grease WILL go through them, so that's not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Already thought about buying a new rig, but DW almost shot me when I suggested it!!!;)

LBR

Use a heat gun and get the wet bolt area nice and hot without overcooking anything...it acts to liquidfy the cold, thick grease....then grease the zerk.

Oregon_Camper

I am a visual guy....does anyone have images (or a video) that shows where all the zerk fittings are? I'd like to make sure I find all of them.

rblack22

I'm in the process of greasing the wet bolts & Equi-Flex, and have run across a problem. Out of the 20 zerks, I can't get grease in two of them. I've had this problem before (its on the off door side), and usually/sometimes after a while it'll take the grease. But today no matter what I do or try they are being stubborn.

I've got a pneumatic grease gun, and it's set at 90 psi. I even ran it up to 110 psi, and still no luck. Also when I first started lubing them, I had the tires off the ground. When they wouldn't take grease, I put the tires back on the ground & still no luck. Also, I've removed the zerks, and grease WILL go through them, so that's not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Already thought about buying a new rig, but DW almost shot me when I suggested it!!!;)

20? I only know of 10 on the 4014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHCelt

If they are new, a few hundred miles should open them up...or try running the jacks up and down and greasing at some in between points.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Can you remove them and replace them. Most auto parts stores carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

jesstalkn,

That's an awesome product! Son and I installed wet bolt kit on our BC in early July. 1 zerk wouldn't take grease whatsoever. Called Mor-Ryde up and explained hwat was happening and they sent me a couple new bolts. Stunk having to redo the bolt (in other words--PITA to pound out/in again). New bolt took grease w/o a problem. Have no clue what was bad in orig new bolt. May have to order one of those kits tho.

NYSUPs

olcoon

There are 2 wet bolts, and 8 for the Equi Flex =10, so 10 for each side = 20.

If they are new, a few hundred miles should open them up...or try running the jacks up and down and greasing at some in between points.

The rig is about 7 years old, tried running up & down & no luck.

Can you remove them and replace them. Most auto parts stores carry them.

I've removed the ones that are in there & hooked the grease gun to them, and grease comes out, then replaced them, and they still won't take grease.

Lou_and_Bette

Sorry Roy if this is nutty idea, but have you tried "rocking" the bolt back and forth? I know they have to be mounted with the grease port in a certain position that you tried to account for when you tried with wheels on/off the ground. Is it possible to loosen the nut and then turn the bolt slightly in both directions to try and clear any obstruction at the outlet.

olcoon

There are 2 wet bolts, and 8 for the Equi Flex =10, so 10 for each side = 20.

Well, (hanging my head in shame:(:confused:), I guess I can't count! There are only 6 zerks on the Equi Flex, so I guess I've got 16 instead of 20. Dang, not only I can't count my zerks, guess I can't count my fingers & toes also!!!

Hadn't thought of that Lou, guess I'll go back out there & twist my nuts! :rolleyes:

At this point I'm about ready to try anything! Tried the heat gun & had liquid grease dripping out, still no luck. While eating lunch I got to thinking that the tires were resting on the ground when I did that, I'm going to try it now with the tires in the air. I even got 2 new zerks from the shed & put them in, even though the old ones were working, still no luck.

olcoon

Lou, you are the man, thanks for the tip! Loosened the nut on the wet bolt, turned it to the right, turned it to the left, and it took the grease! Tried it on the one on the wet bolt, but couldn't get it to turn at all. Tried it with a cheater bar, and even tried it with the impact, but it wouldn't budge. Going to wait until we go on our next trip, and hopefully it'll take grease when we stop for the night.

Lou_and_Bette

Lou, you are the man, thanks for the tip! Loosened the nut on the wet bolt, turned it to the right, turned it to the left, and it took the grease! Tried it on the one on the wet bolt, but couldn't get it to turn at all. Tried it with a cheater bar, and even tried it with the impact, but it wouldn't budge. Going to wait until we go on our next trip, and hopefully it'll take grease when we stop for the night.

Glad I could help! Not bad for a "people" mechanic LOL

Lou_and_Bette

Tried it on the one on the wet bolt, but couldn't get it to turn at all. Tried it with a cheater bar, and even tried it with the impact, but it wouldn't budge. Going to wait until we go on our next trip, and hopefully it'll take grease when we stop for the night.

Roy, another wild thought...IIRC some of those bolts have spline near the base of the shaft that prevent the bolt from rotating once it is seated. If this is the case, can you take the other end of the shackle's bolt out and rotate shackle and wet bolt at the same time...sort of like the tail wagging the dog 😬 I guess you could always drive the bolt out enough to twist it some but that's a real PIA

rhodies1

- - - Updated - - -

Something else you may want to try is using air,take the grease nipple out,use the blow gun tip and blow air into the opening,maybe a small piece of debris blocking grease channel.This can't hurt,you've tried everything thing else except knocking out the bolt and reinstalling which is a pita.good luck.

NYSUPstater

Stupid question that may have been address already and I missed it. What position is the hole in bolt in, in relation to the bushing? If in anything other than the 3 or 9 o'clock ones, that contribute to no grease going in.