moldy caulk? ?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ok...never saw this before, but then we've never had full body paint with clear silicon caulk. The majority of the caulk lines have developed a black speckled mold....only in the caulk. Can't scrub it out...if you rub too hard the caulk starts to come loose!

What's up with that and what do we do about....coach is only ten months old!!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Currently silicone caulks containing a fungicide are available to resist what I suspect you are describing. Example, HERE

Since most silicone products will not take paint, I'm not sure what can be done, short of removing and recaulking.

Maybe HL would have a different solution. Trace

Dave49

Well if you read the manual on your Heartland it recommends that you inspect caulk every 3 months and replace caulk once a year. This was brought to my attention when I took my unit to the factory to get some work done. I seen a fiver in the shop that was 3 yrs. old and they were replacing the whole side. I asked what the problem was with that one and was told that was the result of not re-caulking after 3 yrs. Was quite surprised that out of all the RV's I have had over the yrs. that I have never re-caulked. So the answer to your question is, take off the old caulk and put on new according to HL. If your anything like me, caulking and me don't like each other. I always make a mess when I do it. I was told as a starter not to put to much on at a time, less is better. I ended up paying the factory to do it while I had the work done that I was already there for as my unit was 3 yrs old. I did keep a good check on it I thought, but he pointed out to me what to look for on my unit and decided I needed to have it done. Dave

kakampers

I am well aware that the caulk needs inspection and replacement at regular intervals....my question was concerning the mold developing and why it was occuring...other than that the caulk is in perfect shape.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our neighbor's 2013 Landmark is doing the same thing. He's tried everything with no luck. Re-caulking seems to be the only solution. The example from Trace would be a good option to try.

Consider 100% Silicone bath caulk. Even after proper prep and application, it willl start to show mold after time and it seems to be "IN" the caulk.

kakampers

Ken,
Try rubbing alcohol on a small area.
David

David...thank you!! I tried the rubbing alcohol, and although it did not completely remove it, it did remove at least 95%, with very little rubbing. The little that is left I can live with until it does need recaulking....which will be with a silicone that resists funguses!!! Thanks again!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Kathy, we have a similar situation. It only showed up when we had the coach cleaned and waxed at the Goshen Rally. I think it is residue from the wax or dirt on the polishing wheel causing this. I plan on removing the caulk and re-caulking in the spring.

ChangingPlaces

Hi,
I was told you have to have a urethane based selant and wear disposible gloves when smoothing the sealant off, or use ice block sticks.
I use Simpsons 70-03 adhesive/selant, along with a Simpsons cleaner thinner before applying.
I have used this system for over a year and a half now with good results and no mould showing at all.
Cheers Paul