Most common mistake when buying for full time

Kiltedpig

My wife and I are planning to retire in the next couple years and are serious about 5th wheeling it while we still have our health. What is the most common mistake made when looking for a 5th? Is it buying a unit too big? We have just sold our 30' Arctic Fox trailer and want to move to a 5th for all their advantages especially full timing.

danemayer

Hi Kiltedpig,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. Let me start with my opinion: the biggest mistake would be buying too small for what you want to do. You don't see too many people trading down but you always see people trading up.

When we were shopping, we asked ourselves how we planned to use the rig. As soon as we realized we wanted to be able to go skiing for 4-6 weeks at a time, it helped us narrow down the choices, including how much space we needed, how much storage, how much insulation, how much comfort...and on and on.

So I'd suggest you figure out specifically how you plan to use the RV when you retire. Your plans might change, but you'll start off right.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
FLOORPLAN!! Most people don't pay attention to functionality for everyday living and end up after awhile changing to something more suitable. Took us 3 tries to get it right!

jayc

Legendary Member
I've gotta agree with Ken and Kathy about floor plan. Once you pick out one or more floor plans, go to a dealer with one in stock and sit in it for a long time, as if you are at home. Many dealers will allow this.

Sit in the recliner as if watching television. Try the couch and see how comfy it is. Try out all the rooms, including the bathroom. See how you like the split bath style, with the small stool room. I didn't like it in our first trailer so we traded for a side bath and we are on our second with that design. Its expensive to buy a unit and then decide you hate the way it sits.

priorguy

I'd say buying more trailer then you're tow vehicle can handle. And then having to upgrade the tow vehicle right away. Pay attention to all the ratings of your TV. Www.fifthwheelst.com is a great resource from one of our fellow owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Then buy the trailer you like and then the TV that will safely pull it. Although we don't full time, I had an Avalanche when bought the 3670. Then I traded it for the 3500 dually when I figured what would pull it. We had a few months between purchase and taking possession to figure it out.

wdk450

Once the length and floorplan is worked out, I would look very hard at getting all of the suspension (including brakes) upgrades you can. Premium tires (balanced), TPMS, premium suspension (I am told Independent Suspension is best), and disk brakes. This is the "foundation" of your "house", and a poor "foundation" will give you headaches during your travels. Add to this, most extended warranties don't cover the frame and suspension.

MCTalley

I agree with all the others on the floorplan thing. My wife and I looked at many units, sat in them, pored over brochures, then went to dealers and looked at them all over again. Sat in them, imagined ourselves living in them, etc. We were fortunate that the floorplan we loved the most early on is the one we ended up purchasing.

Also, I agree not to grab something based on either "our truck will pull it" or "it's smaller, so it will tow easier". Be honest, go back to paragraph one, sit in them, imagine yourself storing all your stuff in it, see if you can even walk around the bed (that was a big one for us). Get what fits you.

Also, I would agree that you want to get all the options you want up front (ordering a unit is ideal). We bought ours off the lot and spent some time and money adding things like a level-up system, etc. that we wanted. However, we had a specific reason for purchasing off the lot as opposed to ordering. But, if time is on your side, get it right the first time.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
All are great suggestions...don't forget to check with your insurance company as well on whether or not they will insure the rig or if there will be another company involved (same goes if you plan on "upgrading" your tow vehicle). We bought an F450 and had to do some "tap dancing" after the fact:eek:

Gaffer

Get dual pane windows and the front low profile A/C. Also the electric fireplace will take the chill off and save the need for space heater so you can save propane when staying where the electricity is not metered.
Also if you move frequently it s nice to not have to turn the recliners in order to bring the slides in.

Kiltedpig

Am I the only one who wonders who watches TV sideways. From the looks at a lot of floor plans it seems like the TV's are placed at the end of the unit and the recliners are sitting sideways to the TV. Am I missing something?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Am I the only one who wonders who watches TV sideways. From the looks at a lot of floor plans it seems like the TV's are placed at the end of the unit and the recliners are sitting sideways to the TV. Am I missing something?

Nope...that's a RE (rear entertainment) which we will NOT have...it goes back to FLOORPLAN...first and foremost...IMHO. We have a RL (rear livingroom), which usually places the recliners directly across from the TV...

danemayer

We have a Rushmore which has a rear entertainment center. We don't have any problem watching the TV from the sides, and we enjoy having large windows on all 3 walls. But the majority of floor plans have the TV on the side wall with seating directly across. Only a few floor plans have the rear entertainment center.

guyc66

My Grand Canyon is set up that way and we have been watching TV sideways for several years. The biggest drawback is my head is now permanently stuck looking to the left which is a real hassle when driving my tow vehicle....it's particularly hard to reach the gas pedal with my right foot from a straddled position! (Just kidding.....but watching TV from the side isn't all that bad, not ideal, but wasn't a deal breaker for us).

mobilcastle

We rearranged ours to put lazy-boys across from out tv -DW had to shop hard to find a couch that would fit in the rear area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

My Grand Canyon is set up that way and we have been watching TV sideways for several years. The biggest drawback is my head is now permanently stuck looking to the left which is a real hassle when driving my tow vehicle....it's particularly hard to reach the gas pedal with my right foot from a straddled position! (Just kidding.....but watching TV from the side isn't all that bad, not ideal, but wasn't a deal breaker for us).
Guy,

The floor plan on the Heartland website shows Grand Canyon having the TV on the off-door-side with a sofa in the rear. Do you know how yours came to be different?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks to thieves stealing the original TV's and ripping the mount for the living room one with it, I replaced the mount with an articulating, tilting one. So I can adjust the TV such that I can view it straight on from the DS recliner at the rear of the room. Wife likes to curl on the sofa, so it all works.

guyc66

Guy,

The floor plan on the Heartland website shows Grand Canyon having the TV on the off-door-side with a sofa in the rear. Do you know how yours came to be different?

Dan,

After re-reading the post, I realized I didn't catch the part about TV's being at the rear of the unit.....just saw the part about watching TV from the side. Our GC has recliners in the rear with the TV off to the side (see photo). Sorry for the confusion.

LR.JPG

guyc66

Thanks to thieves stealing the original TV's and ripping the mount for the living room one with it, I replaced the mount with an articulating, tilting one. So I can adjust the TV such that I can view it straight on from the DS recliner at the rear of the room. Wife likes to curl on the sofa, so it all works.

I like your mod with the articulating TV mount. Do you use some type of strap to keep it in place when towing?

Mark-Mullin

TV should not that big a deal while camping a bit more so for full timers I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD