Mountain Region Chat Room

jimtoo

They can try deflating,,, turning tire aprox 180* around and inflate and rebalanced. If still needing lots of weights, it needs to be replaced.

Sometimes a tire heavy side and wheel heavy side get together and then needs lots of weights to correct.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I had the tires balanced on our old Trail Runner at the local Big 'O' Tire store they told me one of my wheels was bent, so they put that tire on the spare tire rack.

While on our way to the Quartzite Rally last year (when we had all of that tire, axle and wheel bearing issues) I had a tire shop in Flagstaff swap the spare to one of the good rims and they would up just changing the tire as they said that wheel was not bent.

Guess I won't trust that Big 'O' Tire shop again . . .

Rollin_Free

When I first looked at your picture I was looking at the weights. When I looked at it again I'm also seeing those black marks just inside each wheel spoke. I took mine off earlier this year and don't have those on any of my wheels. You may want to see if anyone can tell you what caused them. It might not be anything but with all the weights there may be something else going on.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I was wondering about the marks as well...both wheels I pulled off yesterday had them...I will pull the other two off tomorrow and take them in for balancing and will check them. The lug nuts were tight when I took the wheels off so it wasn't a loose wheel rubbing. Perhaps it is just the black paint transferring from the hub.

Doublegranch

Tire balance update:

Called Tredit tire...The lady indicated aluminium wheel problems & replacements are very rare!!! Following that aluminium wheels must be balanced using the wheel web system not center balance which Discount tire uses. The lady said center balance will cause major false readings requiring excessive weight to be used. I am going to call "Foul" on that one! Discount stated they use center balance on all the tires and 99% are without issue. I took the other two tires in today and they only took from 2-3 oz of weight to balance. So I have 3 of the 4 tires with low weights... Discount asked me to bring the other tire back and they would remount & rebalance and see if weight could be removed before trying to get "Tredit Tire" to step for what may be a long process for a possible new rim and or tire.

Second item: I was assured by the DOT number on the Trailer King tires that they were made by General Tire owned by Continental and made in the USA, I think it was Georgia. Well....according to Tredit Tire, this is a new DOT code for TCB or TBC the mfg of towmax, Trailer King & Sailun tires....Noted maybe at different plants but all by the same mfg. She said all their tires are made in China and it wasn't unusual to see a DOT code showing one location but in reality the tires are made in not the country listed on the DOT Code! REALLY????? So my USA tire on the new Sundance are really CHina tires and according to her, no way can be related to the Sailun tires as they are steel on steel and high quality...while she would not say the Trailer King are the low quality of Towmax, she did say they have not had any issues with them yet...but again they are a newer name for this MFG.....so my gut is telling me to pull these tires and go with Goodyear as I like their warranty even though the price is higher plus I will support my nephew who is a mgr there and the good old USA....will make up my mind after I find out next week if the 32 1/4 oz weights on the tire of question can balance out without all this weight or I need a new Rim.......Saga of the unknown is a pain and the mileage continues to rack up at 150 RT..

Oh by the way...the black on the back of the rims is black paint rubbing off the Dexter hubs. It comes off and no wear on the back of the rims.

danemayer

Garry,

TBC is an importer, not a manufacturer, and they do import multiple brands. Their website shows 18 tire brands including Sailun and Towmax.

As for the relationship between DOT codes and manufacturing plant, I'd guess that the person you spoke with is confused. The purpose of tying DOT codes to plants of manufacture is so that safety issues can be resolved without guesswork. If a DOT code represented multiple brands and manufacturing plants, the code would be useless to tying a defect back to the plant of manufacture.

The code on your tires is a new code, and as I recall, there were some confusing elements. But whether made in the USA or in China, I'm confident that the D.O.T. can track it to it's point of origin.

Are the tires any good? That's harder to say.

Doublegranch

Dan:
Thanks....the gal I spoke with is a C/S rep Deanna.....I really felt she gave me the run around and immediately indicated Discount Tire balanced it incorrectly....I sent the DOT code again to the "Tire Engineer" you referred me to...He originally confirmed it was a USA tire under General...Let's see what he says on the second go around....So like my other conversations with Tredit Tire before buying the Sundance, I got continuous conflicting information.. The DOT CODE IS: ADBZ.....

It will all work out eventually...I have a standing joke....The reason I am out here in the boondocks on this ranch is "The Lord is working on me for showing PATIENCE" as I had none before I arrived!!!! Hmmm it's been a long lesson!

By the way, the words about Mfg was the Rep from Tredit Tire's words not mine!

Rollin_Free

I can assure you if you ask for patience you're gonna be tested for awhile so you gain the patience your asking for.

Doublegranch

The Tire Engineer just sent me this email...apparently there was a data base error showing my tires as US made and they are not...they are China: I will be changing out the tires this month.

Just discovered
AD is not General tire

is SHANDONG YONGFENG TYRES CO., LTD.LINYI CITYSHANDONG PROVINCE276400CHINATires 1AD AD

I notified database owner. Shandong comes up frequently with tire complaints.

Change the tire.

Sailun seems to have better rep.

The following may be why the Sailun tires are so much cheaper than the Goodyear:
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION Investigation Nos. 701-TA-556 and 731-TA-1311 (Preliminary) Truck and Bus Tires from China
DETERMINATIONS On the basis of the record1 developed in the subject investigations, the United States International Trade Commission (“Commission”) determines, pursuant to the Tariff Act of 1930 (“the Act”), that there is a reasonable indication that an industry in the United States is materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of imports of truck and bus tires from China, provided for in statistical reporting numbers 4011.20.1015 and 4011.20.5020 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, that are alleged to be sold in the United States at less than fair value (“LTFV”), that are allegedly subsidized by the government of China. 2 3

On January 29, 2016, the United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union, Pittsburgh, PA filed a petition with the Commission and Commerce, alleging that an industry in the United States is materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of LTFV and subsidized imports of truck and bus tires from China. Accordingly, effective January 29, 2016, the Commission, pursuant to sections 703(a) and 733(a) of the Tariff Act of 1930 (19 U.S.C. §§ 1671b(a) and 1673b(a)), instituted countervailing duty investigation No. 701-TA-556 and antidumping duty investigation No. 731-TA-1311 (Preliminary). Notice of the institution of the Commission’s investigations and of a public conference to be held in connection therewith was given by posting copies of the notice in the Office of the Secretary, U.S. International Trade Commission, Washington, DC, and by publishing the notice in the Federal Register of February 4, 2016 (81 FR 6042). The conference was held in Washington, DC, on February 19, 2016, and all persons who requested the opportunity were permitted to appear in person or by counsel.

VIEWS OF THE COMMISSION Based on the record in the preliminary phase of these investigations, we find that there is a reasonable indication that an industry in the United States is materially injured by reason of imports of certain truck and bus tires from China that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value (“LTFV”) and that are allegedly subsidized by the government of China

Doublegranch

Sundance Tires Solved:
Have a set of Goodyear G614's to be installed early next week...
Discount gave me $75 a tire for the China Trailer King tires....
Now we will see if that Rim that took 32 1/4 oz weights will balance without all that weight.

Rollin_Free

Will you be getting new rims or will the ones you have work with the 110 psi that the G614's use?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Question:
My Sundance will get the G614 on Tuesday....the question is:
Since the spare has a different rim, it will never be part of the tire rotation.
Should I just keep the Trailer King spare? In case of a tire change it would only be for
a short period of travel....Your thoughts and why!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Question:
Since the spare has a different rim, it will never be part of the tire rotation.
Should I just keep the Trailer King spare? In case of a tire change it would only be for

If you don't trust the Trailer Kings on the road . . . then would you trust it as a spare?

I wouldn't . . .

Replace them all . . .

Rollin_Free

You should never use different tires that are on the same axle. You can however use different rims as long as they're the same size and can accommodate the tire pressure you're using. Keeping all tires for the trailer the same will make life much better during periods of mild stress.

MTPockets

Question:
. I would just keep it as a spare and forget the rotation. My G614 tires will be 5 yrs old in October and Have enough tread to last another 10. Goodyear says seven years tire life, so they'll age out long before they wear out. Having said that, I did pull my spare one time and replaced a tire that had a leaky valve. After valve was replaced I used that tire as the spare. The other three are in the same position as original snd we have lots of miles traveling full time all over the USA. My opinion, leave it alone unless you prefer avoiding putting it back on the spare rack after a flat, but rotating is not necessary.

brianlajoie

Doublegranch;....the question is: Since the spare has a different rim said:
I had a problem with a rim and ran my spare tire for over a thousand miles. I replaced my spare tire when I went with the G614's. Since none of us believe that the blow max can handle the load, why keep it around? We have all seen posts where the tire has failed with very few miles on them.

Doublegranch

I understand the different opinions, my thoughts are this:
1. If the G614's are such a great tire, the four on the ground will probably be enough.
2. If in a tire failure, the Trailer King did get me from Elkhart to the Ranch without any issues, and it would be on a very short distance until I could find a tire shop for a new G614.
3. If you have to replace G614's every 5 years or so, that would include the spare that has never seen use!
4. If I get 5 G614's then I would get an extra Sundance rim and use all 5 tires for rotation vs the white spare rim.
5. I don't mind spending for the spare, but if it isn't used but for very short distances, is a g614 necessary? The Trailer KIng tire is the exact same size as the G614.

Rollin_Free

I consider Tow Max to be similar to Las Vegas remembering that the house doesn't lose but you do. When I've read post with tread separation that cost between 5-10 thousand for trailer repairs it's a big big concern. I don't think insurance will always cover the trailer repairs and chances are the issue happened at the most inconvenient time, like on the way to a rally. Is it really worth taking the risk of damage to your new Sundance if you have to put a spare tire on that's happens to be a Tow Max tire with almost 2000 miles on it?