MPG181 Axle replaced, bearing failed

Coming from Seaside OR to Pacific City OR we were lucky to stop in Tillamook at Fred Myers. I got out to check tires and other things and found my passenger side wheel on the trailer was covered in grease. Pulled the hub cover and earing pieces fell out and boy was it hot. Problem is I had the bearing packed in May this year before we started traveling. RV repair shop noticed my fender was also discolored indicating a lot of heat being displaced by the wheel. After 10 days waiting for the Lippert axle and other parts we are on the road again. Being in Oregon at least a saved on sales tax. Repairs were around $1,100. $250 to send the axle and the axle was around $300. My question is when checking the heat coming from the hub with a heat gun, what temperature is safe and when to worry. I noticed there is a difference between both sides of 10 to 15 degrees. Any help would be greatly excepted. My unit is 2011 and I packed the bearing each time we go on extended travel. Happy to be alive to tell my story.

berky

IIRC from what I have read a few places, a 10-15 degree difference is not uncommon. The best thing you can do is check it frequently as yu have been doing. As long as the temperature differential doesn't creep up, you should be fine. And keep in mind that the sunny side of everything will always be warmer.

I'm not sure I would agree with the conclusion that the fender discoloration was due to the bearing running hot. The only path for heat to flow from the hub to the fender would be through air, and the air speed as you move down the road would quickly mve that heat away.