Myrtle Beach heat!

MFD41

Hello all, we are new owners of a 2017 Big Country 3850MB. This our 3rd camper in 10 yrs. We are currently camping in Myrtle Beach with Temps today feeling like 107°. Shouldn't our A/C keep up or am I dreaming? Dual air units with the ducted system. Bedroom keeps pretty cool during the day but the living room isn't even remotely cool until the sun goes down. It struggles to get below 85 in the living room while the sun is out. Is this normal? I just figured this ducted system would be more efficient than my previous system.......

kowAlski631

It's hot here - no two ways about it. We have learned to keep our shades drawn so the sun doesn't heat it up more. Do you have dual panes windows??

Martha

MFD41

Not sure on dual pane. Frame less is all I know. Yeah we are keeping the shades down all day as well as 3 fans going all day....

kowAlski631

We were just down in Charleston over the weekend. Our acs ran nonstop. Ours is older, but it cooled us out west (Nevada, Arizona, NM, Texas) than back here. Humidity? Not sure. Wish I could be more help.

Martha

Lou_and_Bette

We are in Tucson, AZ where the temps are actually 105 or above. The a/c's are running constantly from sun up to some time in the night so I understand your inquiry. We can only expect an inside temp that is 20 degrees lower than the outside temperature. Any thing lower than that is a bonus. One thing we have found that helps is we open the shower feature on the living room a/c and use a small fan at bedroom door to push some of that cooler air towards the living room. It sure feels cooler when we first come in after being outside for a while.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We are in Tucson, AZ where the temps are actually 105 or above. The a/c's are running constantly from sun up to some time in the night so I understand your inquiry. We can only expect an inside temp that is 20 degrees lower than the outside temperature. Any thing lower than that is a bonus. One thing we have found that helps is we open the shower feature on the living room a/c and use a small fan at bedroom door to push some of that cooler air towards the living room. It sure feels cooler when we first come in after being outside for a while.

Yeah but these new units with the whisper quiet AC are having cooling issues unlike us with the AC units protruding through the ceiling.
We've been in MB in 90* heat without any cooling issues.
It was 90* here today in central PA and our AC kept up just fine without running nonstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Here in central AL it's been murder with heat - average temp 95 -97 with humidity running about 103 to 105. A/C's been doing ok keeping the temps inside around 73-75 degrees during the day and down to mid 60's at night. Yes we keep the shades pulled down just about all the time to help keep the reflection and sun out. We also have a tower fan in the bedroom pushing air down into the main room. Don't do any cooking inside and as few lights as possible. And just think, August ain't here yet.

RB2012

After living in our 2012 bighorn now for 2 years i have learned a lot about heartland now dont get me wrong, we have had no problems and our relationship with the heartland family has been unfortgettable, but to the point, our sidewall are only inch and a half thick and other models (with a slightly higher price tag) there sidewalls are thicker that makes a big difference in cooling and heating, we are now just starting to look at upgrading to a new rig and sadly we may be saying goodbye to heartland

mlpeloquin

We camped a month ago and the temps were up to 102. Our Big Horn stayed cool until the sun hit the back. Between the large window and thin insulation on the back cap, it got up to 89 degrees. I have a tall house floor tower fan I use and was comfortable so long as I had the fan on low and blowing on me. My wife is on blood thinners and likes the heat. So I cannot win! Try to fine a spot the is in the shad in the afternoon and all should be well with the older AC units. We were able to keep the RV in the 76 degree range until the son hit the back. The heat in the fifth wheel only lasted for three hours until the son started to set.

While in the heat the rear TV went into thermal shutdown. The protection circuit turned it on and of several times. I shut it off for a few minuets and the turned it on. I was able to finish another one hour program before it completely quit. Now going back and fourth with the extended service insurance. Fix it or replace it. I can purchase the entire circuit board new on ebay for $18.00. If I had known this I would not have bothered with it. If they approve the purchase of a new TV, it must be the same manufacture, then I will ask my RV repair shop to give me the old TV and I will replace the circuit board and install it in our spare bedroom. Time will tell. The replacement is $268.99 with free shipping. $200.00 copay so with a shipping the old one back and fourth and repair cost, I would think a new unit would be the option for them. But then????

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Camping? . . . or Glamping?

We generally only plan on our AC keeping the inside temps cool for our cats . . . not us!

We find that we rarely ever use the AC when we are are there at the trailer . . . but crank it up for the cats while we are out driving around checking out the local scenery!

What part of 'roughing it' don't many of us understand? :confused:

Crossbow

Sounds like you need to find a tree to park under. :) Seriously though someone said it right, 20 degrees lower than ambient is about all you can expect out of your AC unit without super high R ratings in the walls. I sure wish they would up the walls as most are just R11 while the roof is R38. If they would just build the RV like a Rotomolded Yeti or RTIC cooler in the walls then you would be living inside a cooler. Anyhow, 107 - 20 = 87 and you were at 85 sounds about right. lol. Maybe with a 3rd AC you can get a few more degrees but that is it. Get out of the sun!

TxCowboy

Re: Camping? . . . or Glamping?

We're over in the Texas Coastal Bend area with virtually the same environmental conditions as the OP -- highs in the mid-90s, 80 percent humidity, direct sunlight (no shade). A friend of ours has dual ACs and he has to turn the thermostats down to the lowest setting, about 60 degrees, IIRC. It does keep his RV in the low 70s but it's a struggle.

We have 3 ACs and it more than keeps up with this South Texas heat and humidity.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

I would love to hear more from folks who have the 3 a/cs on their coaches not that we are going to trade anytime soon. I understand that still only 2 a/cs run at a time so how does it switch off and on to the 3rd unit?

mlpeloquin

We generally only plan on our AC keeping the inside temps cool for our cats . . . not us!

We find that we rarely ever use the AC when we are are there at the trailer . . . but crank it up for the cats while we are out driving around checking out the local scenery!

What part of 'roughing it' don't many of us understand? :confused:

We roughed it once in a tent. I am almost 62 and I don't want to rough it anymore. I like the outdoors, but want my furnace, fireplace, AC, refrig and freezer cold, satellite dish, HD TV, shower, and a comfortable bed. The last one will be fixed by February next year. Want a Select Comfort like we have at home. Heartland needs to have it as an option.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didn't spend all what this rig cost so I could rough it. Did enough tent camping back when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAdams

We have no problem in the Texas Coastal Bend area keeping cool, just preparing for the electric bill... Now we do have dual pane windows, we do open the shades in the kitchen and front living room. The shade in the rear of the coach is never opened.

Last edited:

IronJ

Here in the west it's easily 105+ in the summer...and if you aint got a LOT of shade it's gonna take all of 3 15kbtu ac to keep any rig over 40ft cool.....with the shades pulled ..let's be real..most these trailers have 2 pieces of fiberglass with an inch of foam between....and ain't really sealed well...a cheap dollar general cooler has more thermal retention...I knew this going in and got the 3 ac and had my panel rewired and balanced to run all 3 on 50amp.....I don't like warm beer or warm couches...roughing it is silly...we are in a 45ft HOUSE......seriously???

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Lou_and_Bette

Well, here is our solution to the heat problem. When I planned this years travel in January, I only concentrated on locations and not weather. DW, after spending the last two weeks in 105+ temps and scheduled for 2 weeks in Phoenix and one week near Quartzite, AZ, finally going to Williams, AZ for 2 weeks, changed the itinerary. She's had enough of the heat for a long time. We now are going to Phoenix for one week only and then to Williams, AZ for a month. Temps forecast to be 80's during day and 50's at night. This will give the a/c's a nice break and cool Bette down.����