Mystery Water Valve ?????

ncc1701e

While looking in the pantry for mounting places for some lights to assist the wife a little, I found this water valve. Does anyone have a glue as to what it is? I have no idea and even more why it is run up through the bottom two cabinet shelves. The valve was behind a panel I removed.

Attachments

• Mystery Valve.jpg
    Mystery Valve.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 250

Greengas

I'm not sure of the exact name but it is part of your Black Tank Flush system. It is the place where, if something is going to go wrong with the system, it will happen there and water will flow out.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will chime in with more exact information - or to swiftly correct me if I'm wrong - like if you don't even have a black tank flush.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sure looks like an anti-siphon valve to me. Those are supposed to be higher than the toilet bowl.

Garypowell

In some respects you are lucky in the fact that you know where this anti-siphon valve is located. Normally it is hidden in a wall. When it starts to leak you only find it by the water on the floor.

I have a newer 3010 and finally located mine behind the shower and the bedroom wall. When I get a chance I am going to take it out and directly connect the black water flush supply in the UDC to the inlet line for the black tank.

I am sure HL has to put these in to be in compliance with code. In my 5 5th wheels over the years only one has blown.....but it was a mess. Now I take them out when I finally find where they are.

If you want to remove yours trace the lines down into the basement and simply connect them together and remove the excess piping and the valve.

pegmikef

What exactly does the valve do . . . what is its purpose? I am picking up a new 3010 in a couple of days.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly does the valve do . . . what is its purpose? I am picking up a new 3010 in a couple of days.
Its purpose is to prevent any black water from siphoning back into the fresh water system.
Hence the name 'Anti-Siphon Valve'.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I should have added that on the inlet to black tank flush line I have a shut off valve. After the hose is attached and pressurized I open the valve. This allows water to flow into the supply line for the black tank flush. When done with the operation I close this valve while the line is still pressurized. Then I remove the hose. The hose has its own shut off too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The plastic female fitting on my tank flush broke off a couple of years ago. So I replaced it with a brass city water fitting with a check valve, so there is no backflow. The anti-siphon valve is still in the line, but will meet a quick demise the moment is leaks. I have a shut-off valve on my UDC manifold that feeds the flusher.

ncc1701e

Is there a piping diagram for the water system? Why in the world would Heartland put something like this in the pantry in any unit? Tell my sweet wife she has a potentially black water valve that could leak and make a mess in her kitchen, well let's just say the Heartland Rep that wants to explain that to her has a bigger set than I do. Why is there any connection between the city water and the black flush? I certainly like the idea of removing it all together before it leaks.

danemayer

Is there a piping diagram for the water system? Why in the world would Heartland put something like this in the pantry in any unit? Tell my sweet wife she has a potentially black water valve that could leak and make a mess in her kitchen, well let's just say the Heartland Rep that wants to explain that to her has a bigger set than I do. Why is there any connection between the city water and the black flush? I certainly like the idea of removing it all together before it leaks.

Here's a diagram that might be helpful. The vacuum breaker for the black flush is usually located near the bathroom, often behind the shower. Is the bathroom on the other side of this pantry? That might explain the placement.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Tom, the anti-siphon plumbing is not connected to any of the RV's system plumbing. It is to prevent backflow into the source. It's a code thing.
There have been a few threads about leaks at this valve. It's location is for easy access. Many floor plans have this valve in a place that's difficult to access, like mine. It's in a wall behind the toilet. In 7 years (knocking on wood as I type) there have been no issues with mine.

Garypowell

Ncc...

just took a better look at your picture and realized you took out the conceeling panel that was "hiding" the vacuum breaker. If it had been left out exposed in the cabinet you probably could complain to HL and maybe get them to move it.

But since these coaches are kind of "as built" that might not be easy.

If you want to either move or remove it (keep in mind it has to be higher than the toilet) then do so. Take the cover piece and fashion a patch for the hole in the cabinet and you have solved the problem AND gained a little cabinet space.

TedS

If you do not intend to use the black tank flusher, remove the valve and plug the hose. The flusher is not a required device. Heartland installed it as as a convenient feature. I wonder about possible odors since the hose from the valve to the black tank is always open like a vent. I prefer to use something like the Flush King that you connect outside to use and remove when not in use. No chance for a water leak hidden inside a wall or cabinet.

jbeletti

Hi Tom (and Millie),

So you've found that little devil. What others have said is accurate:
1. It's required by RVIA code to be installed
2. It's called an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker / Check Valve
3. It's supposed to be "high-mounted" - I believe higher that all water using items except the shower
4. It's inline with the black-tank rinse spray-head and is designed to not allow rinse water to flow back
5. While we have to install them, a good many RVers remove them and go with a check valve at the hose connection for the flush system
6. That you know where it is, is now a HUGE benefit to you in the event it ever has to be replaced

TedS

Jim, can you get an answer to a question about this valve? Why is it installed inside when the supplier, B&B, advises that the valve will leak water and to not install the valve where the leak will cause damage?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Heres my take on this. I had the valve leak one time in 5 years. Its because I did not not have the pressure regulator hooked up. I put upwards of 110 psi thru the system. I tore everything apart to find out it was pilot error and not the valve. Its there for a reason. JMHO

danemayer

Jim, can you get an answer to a question about this valve? Why is it installed inside when the supplier, B&B, advises that the valve will leak water and to not install the valve where the leak will cause damage?
I wonder what location they're imagining where water discharge would not cause damage? Maybe mount it to the top of the ladder? :rolleyes:

TedS

I would suggest up on the roof with the black tank vent. Since the RV toilets have a discharge valve they have no flood rim like residential toilets. The flood rim is the top of the black tank vent stack. The valve would be above the flood rim and the valve leak would be outside where no damage would be done.

RuralPastor

It is a device that leaks the very first time you use it in the spring while your wife is using her church voice to tell you that there is water spraying all over the bathroom when you're outside dreaming about how clean that black tank is while pondering why the familiar sound of swish-swish sounds different today and you can't figure out why!:mad: