Need to organize my 'basement'

Porkchop

I know they sell the pull out trays but they seem VERY expensive. What other things have you done to help tidy up the basement area. I need to also get access to the hot water bypass and when we brought the RV in, our basement was a mess. They charged us to move everything out to get access too it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Is there a DYI for those trays?

Thanks!
Irene

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Stackable plastic totes with lids. And get brutal about eliminating stuff that you can't remember using.

Porkchop

How "big" would you go? The tough part is getting into the deep stuff. Yeah. I'm a hoarder.... ;/ DH hates that!

MTPockets

I made a removable "shelf".... or, more like a short table using 2x3 pine and supporting each joint with those metal joint pieces from Home Depot (don't know what they are called)... My "shelf" is approximately 16" tall and about 4' x 5'. It's very sturdy and light and slides into the large side access door. You can make this any size you want. I sit this "table" inside the basement, then I can put my larger items on top and the smaller items/totes on the bottom... My height was decided so I could slide my air compressor under, as well as a couple plastic totes, and miscellaneous items... On the opposite side where the water dock is located, I use two large stackable bins for extra hose ends, nozzles, water filters, gloves, hose, elec adapters, etc.... all that stuff I use on that side. One bin for the sewer items/parts and the other for the other items. Works great for me

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Something else to consider, if you stay in one location for extended periods is a plastic patio box. I modified a snap together one to be assembled with bolts and wing nuts. On our seasonal site, it sits next to the rig by the door. Great for storing chairs, games, etc. It also makes a good spot to set bags and other items so you can unlock the door. Disassembled, I can fit it into the front compartment (no genny in there).

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know I am different.. But I don't want to pick up large containers. So I have a small amount of things in the stackable milk crates. I can lift them out easily, move them around and they are not loaded heavyly.

Went to a Kroger store and asked the manager about the cartons that were in the back where they had them stacked all over the place. They said I could take 5 or 10 of them.

Works for me.

BC

VKTalley

I agree with JohnDar...get brutal with your stuff and totes with lids! We did this and it is working great, I even have one or two empty totes in my basement. We bought all of our totes at the same time so that they were matching (MCT likes it that way) and he has four totes on the water/electric hook up side for leveling blocks (lego blocks), chocks and all the necessary hookup and leveling items, all within reach. I would be interested in others thoughts on those slide out trays.

Wharton

We redid our basement this past winter. We were close to a Home Depot which had a great selection of plastic totes. We went and bought a big selection, emptied the entire basement and started organizing. DW is much better at figuring out these things and can imagine what crates fit where so she directed operations. We bought several(6 or so) smaller plastic boxes that fit into the bigger ones to keep the "little" things. We made sure the crates had lips on them so things wouldn't slide around. Seems to be working so far.

I would love to get the slideout but need access to the water heater etc. and the slideout would make that more awkward than it is now.

kowAlski631

We have clear totes with the locking type tops. That way we can kind of see what's in which. Also, we try to put like things together. We want to create an inventory on our computer & number the crates so we can just say grab crate #4 & we'll have what we need the 1st try. Got a few projects ahead of that though! ;)

dbbls59

Stackable plastic totes with lids. And get brutal about eliminating stuff that you can't remember using.
I use the same thing. Wal Mart has them for about $7 each. The come in two sizes, one twice as tall as the other. Two will stack to the same height as one of the big ones. I use one big one for the large items and filled up the remainder of the space with small ones. They are clear plastic so I can see what is inside without opening the top.

porthole

Retired
Irene, the pull out trays are expensive and takes up room that is hard to give up in the small 3010 basement.
Since the 3010 basement is not a true rectangle, you have to make the pull out tray smaller then would be possible with straight walls.

We use a mix of plastic totes and milk crates. I don't use big totes. For the most part the size I use will fit inside a milk crate

oscar

Yes, the big pull out trays are nice, expensive and HEAVY.

Totes buckets and boxes, the least used stuff in the middle, the more used stuff on the edges.... and yes, if you haven't used it in a year you don't need it, until a week after you toss it.

The basement is a place where the fight against weight needs to be fought heavily. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that one)

As far as getting to the water heater bypass....on ours it's a smaller piece of bulkhead with 4 screws...... a few hinges and a latch are on the list.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We're big on the plastic totes, also. Measured our square footage and varied our sizes to take advantage of all of our space. If you get too many real big ones, you can't easily move them in and out. We left the pax side of the basement (where the UDC is) for the things we need to set up. Then, we prioritized for things that we only use seasonally to the things we use all the time moving from back to front.
Like everyone, though, use the time to weed. Bet there are things you don't need to haul around. We try to do it every 6 months.

Birchwood

Not only expensive but also adds weight to the RV.Its just another company trying to get your money.Perhaps if you were handicapped
and had problems bending over a rollout tray may be in required.

MurrayN.

I made my own slide out tray for maybe $250.00 a couple of years ago. I got two heavy duty slides, a sheet of plywood and some wire shelves that I fashioned into the walls around the tray. It fits into my basement perfectly and I am very happy with it. It does get fairly heavy though but even my wife could easily slide the whole thing oug by herself. It extends completely out and I can get at the stuff at the very back with no problems. I only lost a couple of inches closer to the door on one side where I store some brooms and longer items.

jayc

Legendary Member
I have a slide-out tray on the doorside and plastic boxes holding my "utility" items-fresh water hoses, sewer hoses, etc. It works well for me, but does need an occasional weeding and cleaning.

Sumo

I made my own slide out tray for maybe $250.00 a couple of years ago. I got two heavy duty slides, a sheet of plywood and some wire shelves that I fashioned into the walls around the tray. It fits into my basement perfectly and I am very happy with it. It does get fairly heavy though but even my wife could easily slide the whole thing oug by herself. It extends completely out and I can get at the stuff at the very back with no problems. I only lost a couple of inches closer to the door on one side where I store some brooms and longer items.

MurryN, would love to see some pic. And maybe a project list.