New cyclone 4100 King

Mizmary

We picked up our new cyclone 4100. So far we love it. I was only a little disappointed that the kitchen storage is a bit awkward. The rest makes up for it though!! I am SO in love with the tub/water heater. We are full timers and a 6gal water heater in the SOB 5er we had last was awful. The first thing I did after we hooked up and got sort of unpacked - was to give both of our kids a hot bath. Then I took a LOOOONG hot shower.

One thing we didn't notice was that there are no toilet paper holders in either bath. We are going to put some in but since everything is rounded, it's hard to decide where. Any advice?

scottyb

Mizmary, welcome to the 4100 club. I think HL has hit a homerun with that model. We installed wall-mounted TP and towel racks. we found some at HD that come close to matching the antique brass fixtures.

Mizmary

Thanks! I though about the freestanding one, but the DH prefers wall. ...so-- Where did you mount them? We are having trouble deciding. We don't really want to put holes in the cabinet door but that seems like the best option right now.

scottyb

I mounted it on the wall between the two doors. I also mounted a towel bar that I cut to fit on the same wall. Then I mounted 2 towel rings, 1 above the toilet, and 1 between the medicine cabinet and bedroom door. My wife found a free standing towel rack for the garage, to allow dirty towels and wet clothing to dry. seems like we generate a lot of wet clothes and towels on most of our trips. It folds up flat, and rides in the 1/2 bath, when not in use.

Mizmary

Nice. I will probably have to move my towel hooks and mount there also. I don't know what I'd do without those 3M hooks!!

Wrenched

Hi - we just got a new Cyclone 4100 as well. I put the TP holder in the front bathroom on the wall in between the 2 doors - and a little to the right closer to your right hand.
In the back, it was so tight, there were no really good spots. So, I went to the hardware store and bought a recessed mount unit, cut a square hole in the wall to the right of the toilet (while facing the toilet) about shoulder height so taller folk wouldn't run into the roll when getting up and down on the commode. It works well.
I put a towel ring on the wall behind the toilet - unfortunately putting in the screws before realizing that they went through the wall where the ladder is for the loft on the other side LOL. I solved the temporary lunacy with a couple of brass bolts that I put in from the other side. They look OK and hold the towel ring well.
Full length towel racks went on the doors in both bathrooms (not the slider though - that would have been another funny one for sure!)

danemayer

Do any of you CY 4100 owners mind sharing how much you paid for yours? I am going to be buying one in the next few months and I see the price listing vary dramatically. I would love to know what people are really paying for them so that I don't over pay. Thanks in advanced.
If you want to share what you paid, please do so via PM. Do not post the prices.

choprpilot76

I have a small, unusual request/favor to ask of you 4100 owners. I have a 2012 F350 Dually for my TV when I get my 4100, and as much as I know people don't like the idea, I was wanting to lift my truck slightly. I am not talking about a large 8" lift with 38" tires or anything. I was going to put some new aftermarket wheels and tires on the truck which in itself will raise the truck 2.5". I know that this small amount alone won't affect the towing profile of the TH, but I was wanting to add a 4" suspension lift and airbags as well, which would total to 6.5" above stock for the truck. My concern is the TH sitting to nose high and resting more of it's weight on the back axle then an even distribution on all three. The new wheels and tires (22.5" American Force Wheels and H rated tires) will clear and fit without the lift, but I LOVE putting small, modest lifts, on all my trucks. Can any of you tell me what the measurement is from the ground up to the plate above the king pin is when the TH is in a level (towed) profile? Basically I am looking for the height from the ground up to where the two plates (the hitch reciever plate, and the hitch pin plate) meet to give me an idea what kind of "play" I have. I am sure more of you will chime in just to tell me not to do it though, lol. Thanks for any info.

scottyb

Paked level, 49". You might get away with it with your Ford Dually. I went from a Chevy to a Ford. The Chevy was a couple inches taller with higher bed rails than the Ford. There is some room to spare in clearance with the Ford.

choprpilot76

Paked level, 49". You might get away with it with your Ford Dually. I went from a Chevy to a Ford. The Chevy was a couple inches taller with higher bed rails than the Ford. There is some room to spare in clearance with the Ford.

Wow, that actually seems low. I measured from the ground up to the top of the bed rail and that alone was 55", and I read that you should have the TH approximately 4-6 ABOVE the bed rail. Interesting, thank you for the info. In the end I know people tow these TH with these F350 dually's, just curious how high I can go.

scottyb

That is to the plate that rest on your 5th wheel hitch. The bottom of the trailer is 63" so the plate is 14" below that.

haulinem

I have a small, unusual request/favor to ask of you 4100 owners. I have a 2012 F350 Dually for my TV when I get my 4100, and as much as I know people don't like the idea, I was wanting to lift my truck slightly. I am not talking about a large 8" lift with 38" tires or anything. I was going to put some new aftermarket wheels and tires on the truck which in itself will raise the truck 2.5". I know that this small amount alone won't affect the towing profile of the TH, but I was wanting to add a 4" suspension lift and airbags as well, which would total to 6.5" above stock for the truck. My concern is the TH sitting to nose high and resting more of it's weight on the back axle then an even distribution on all three. The new wheels and tires (22.5" American Force Wheels and H rated tires) will clear and fit without the lift, but I LOVE putting small, modest lifts, on all my trucks. Can any of you tell me what the measurement is from the ground up to the plate above the king pin is when the TH is in a level (towed) profile? Basically I am looking for the height from the ground up to where the two plates (the hitch reciever plate, and the hitch pin plate) meet to give me an idea what kind of "play" I have. I am sure more of you will chime in just to tell me not to do it though, lol. Thanks for any info.

Not an engineer but I would have several concerns. First, if your desired setup increases the weight on the rear axle, (which you seem concerned about) in doing so it would decrease the weight on the other two axles and increase your pin weight. I would be concerned whether excessive stress would be placed on the structure with two points bearing more weight then designed for. These units are nearly 15000 lbs empty so you will easily reach your 18000 GVWR. I believe it is important to have the weight distributed as evenly as possible across your axles since each is only rated at 6000 lbs. Exceeding axle limits can lead to several issues including braking and probably tire failure. These units are also high at 13'3" so double check your clearance since 6.5" above stock could possibly put you at 13'9.5" or more depending on the height of your hitch. Hope you enjoy your rig as much as we have.

oscar

I'm not an engineer either, but I am willing to bet a good sum that raising the pin 5 inches will change the pin weight and or respective axle weights a negligible amount. 5 feet, maybe. But, for shniz and giggles if you have the time and inclination you should weigh the rig before and after the lift. It won't tell you what happened to the axles but it will tell you what happened to the pin.

choprpilot76

Not an engineer but I would have several concerns. First, if your desired setup increases the weight on the rear axle, (which you seem concerned about) in doing so it would decrease the weight on the other two axles and increase your pin weight. I would be concerned whether excessive stress would be placed on the structure with two points bearing more weight then designed for. These units are nearly 15000 lbs empty so you will easily reach your 18000 GVWR. I believe it is important to have the weight distributed as evenly as possible across your axles since each is only rated at 6000 lbs. Exceeding axle limits can lead to several issues including braking and probably tire failure. These units are also high at 13'3" so double check your clearance since 6.5" above stock could possibly put you at 13'9.5" or more depending on the height of your hitch. Hope you enjoy your rig as much as we have.

Yeah, I am completely hearing what you're saying, that is why I was trying to feel out the measurement play in these things. Obviously they were designed to hook up to the industries main trucks out there (Ford, GMC, Dodge) and all three of them are different in bed heights by AT LEAST a few inches, minimum, if not more, so I know there is some tolerance in how much the hitch point can go up or down. As much as I want to lift the truck a little, believe me, I WILL NOT pull that trigger if it will ultimately sacrifice safety or structural limits. As you pointed out the axles are rated at 6k each. Coincidentally I ave already been looking at that problem with respect to another problem. Based off of my math for weight allowances for "payload" (fresh water, gasoline, four Quads, groceries, etc.) on the TH, I would be exceeding that 18k gross weight limit. This still boggles my mind considering that these are supposed to be "toy haulers" and things like quads ("toys") are a good 700-800lbs each, and just the water and fuel weight, this 18k would be easily exceeded all the time. I already looked at the Dexter's Axle website and learned (if I am reading it correctly) that I can just add a leaf to each of the spring packs for a minimal dollar amount and increase each axle limit 1-2k pounds each. My wife and I have four kids, so will be carrying a lot of weight in the garage of this thing just in quads alone, and I don't want to exceed the axle and overall weight ratings. I will do my math very carefully when I take on this new lifestyle, I'm not going to jeopardize my families lives. I have a nice advantage living on a military base, most bases, like this one, have truck scales, free for the service members to use. I am actually going to the scales tomorrow to grab all my base/empty weights for my truck.

So back to my original point, I am not "committing" to a lift yet, I am just trying to see what, IF anything, I have to work with. I already know that the wheel/tire upgrade won't be an issue, like you said, the Chevy's alone are taller then the Fords and people are pulling the 4100 with the Chevy's just fine. If anything, those H rated tires will be an improvement over the stock E rated tires. Thank you for the advice and input though you guys, I appreciate it.
DSC_0488.jpgDSC_0508.jpg

danemayer

Obviously they were designed to hook up to the industries main trucks out there (Ford, GMC, Dodge) and all three of them are different in bed heights by AT LEAST a few inches, minimum, if not more, so I know there is some tolerance in how much the hitch point can go up or down.
Not sure this is a valid assumption. Consider that the hitch height and the pinbox height are typically both adjustable to allow you to correct for variations in tow vehicles. I think it's more reasonable to assume that the trailer is designed to be level while towing.

If you load the axles unevenly so that the rear axle is carrying extra weight, let me speculate that you could see tire blowouts, bent axles, and worn out bearings down the road.

oscar

I still haven't seen evidence that raising the pin a few inches will increase the weight on the rear axle measurably.......and I seriously doubt it.

Yes, choprpilot with full water and fridge and toys in the back you are well over. I contain the damage as much as I can by traveling with a quarter tank of water and gas and empty holding tanks. If there is no water/electric where I'm going I top off at the last possible moment.