New guy on forum, ford diesel tech

porthole

Retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MTPockets //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50383-New-guy-on-forum-ford-diesel-tech/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
Regarding coolant test strips. I had the Ford part number and got the strips from NAPA.

Sounds like you got the wrong test kit. Or tested wrong.
That engine should not need the revitalizer at that low of a mileage.

----------------------------------------------------

i agree.. Test strip I used said add, and tested good after after adding.... What should I do now that I've added twice, had dealer check with Ford strip who says it checks OK, and, where is secondary cooing system checked. Dealer did not know? (Cody, WY)

There are two drain petcocks on either side of the radiator near the bottom. This is where you are "supposed" to get your sample. They are nearly impossible to access, especially for the consumer.

I have seen 2 different dealers check my truck at the "de-gas" tanks, right front near radiator, and left rear near hood hinge. That is not correct, but the general consensus is that testing there is better then not testing because access is so difficult trying to get a petcock sample.

I am good with testing at the de-gas tank. Over 15,000 miles there is enough fluid change in that bottle to provide a fairly accurate sample.

If you tested at the tank and added revitalizer it would take quite a few miles of travel before you should consider a retest accurate. Several thousand would be my guess.

BTW, have you verified you used the correct kit?
There are 2 different kits that I know of for Ford. .
Personally, I would use the correct Motorcraft branded kit and not a parts store kit, which may have some universal applications.

One "coolant" test kit requires 4 different tests, 2 for each cooling system. How many tests were in the NAPA kit?

StagNW

Thanks for all the great info StagNW. I have a 2012 F350 King Ranch with the 6.7. Recently I accidentally put a small amount (less than a cup) of DEF in the diesel tank. I drove it about 5 miles before the water in fuel light came on. I drained the fuel filter under the truck and the light went off. Then after driving another 5 miles it came on again. Drained the filter again. Light off drove another 4 miles and the 'Reduced engine power' light came on and the truck went into the 'limp' mode. I limped it another 4 miles into the Ford dealer where they told me the fuel system had to be replaced at $7500. Luckily the auto insurance paid for the repair minus my deductible. Here is the strange part. Since my repair my mileage has increased about 3 MPG. Just curious why that would happen. (i'm not complaining)

Im sorry to hear this happened! Glad your insurance took care of it, awfully inexpensive also, I see the repair closer to 13k! As for your MPG going up, I do not know, if I was to wager a guess it would be updated parts, or clearing the adaptive tables and letting you start fresh would be my guesses! Either way that's the silver lining on a bum situation!

There are two drain petcocks on either side of the radiator near the bottom. This is where you are "supposed" to get your sample. They are nearly impossible to access, especially for the consumer.

There are two petcocks, one on each radiator, accessed from either side of the vehicle, the primary cooling system is easily accessible, the secondary is not.

I have seen 2 different dealers check my truck at the "de-gas" tanks, right front near radiator, and left rear near hood hinge. That is not correct, but the general consensus is that testing there is better then not testing because access is so difficult trying to get a petcock sample.

Would you please supply your source that this is an incorrect place to take a sample? Taking a sample from the petcocks you are "opening" the cooling system, creating a potential for an air pocket which could in turn, potentially, cause a momentary temp gauge spike and a potential incorrect coolant level depending on the volume of the sample you take. Coolant circulates through the primary system and secondary systems, therefore the sample you get out of the degas bottle is the same as the petcocks, while not opening the cooling system. At school, when I was certified on the 6.7, this is where we were told to take a sample.

I am good with testing at the de-gas tank. Over 15,000 miles there is enough fluid change in that bottle to provide a fairly accurate sample.

If you tested at the tank and added revitalizer it would take quite a few miles of travel before you should consider a retest accurate. Several thousand would be my guess.

BTW, have you verified you used the correct kit?
There are 2 different kits that I know of for Ford. .
Personally, I would use the correct Motorcraft branded kit and not a parts store kit, which may have some universal applications.

One "coolant" test kit requires 4 different tests, 2 for each cooling system. How many tests were in the NAPA kit?

cdensomnia

I just posted in the Cyclone forum but I thought I would ask you all here since it sounds like this thread is full of Ford owners. I currently have a 2011 F250 with an extra leaf and F350 blocks\shocks (essentially turningit in to a F350 SRW). I am looking at two trucks to pull my Cyclone 4200 when it arrives since the legal pin weight will be over what my truck "should" handle.

The two trucks I am looking at are a 2011 F450 and a 2013 F350 DRW. Price wise the 350 is a bit more but not by much, but it also is a King Ranch so it makes up for it. What just baffles me is Ford neutered the F450 of old(pre 2011) so the 2011 and up F350's and F450's are very VERY similar. The only big difference is the front axle which improves the turning radius. The F350 actually as the 14k GVWR package and the F450 has a 13300 GVWR package. I don't think there are any tune differences on the 6.7 (please correct me if I am wrong). Would love to hear what a ford tech would take, the 2011 F450 or 2013 F350?

StagNW

I just posted in the Cyclone forum but I thought I would ask you all here since it sounds like this thread is full of Ford owners. I currently have a 2011 F250 with an extra leaf and F350 blocks\shocks (essentially turningit in to a F350 SRW). I am looking at two trucks to pull my Cyclone 4200 when it arrives since the legal pin weight will be over what my truck "should" handle.

The two trucks I am looking at are a 2011 F450 and a 2013 F350 DRW. Price wise the 350 is a bit more but not by much, but it also is a King Ranch so it makes up for it. What just baffles me is Ford neutered the F450 of old(pre 2011) so the 2011 and up F350's and F450's are very VERY similar. The only big difference is the front axle which improves the turning radius. The F350 actually as the 14k GVWR package and the F450 has a 13300 GVWR package. I don't think there are any tune differences on the 6.7 (please correct me if I am wrong). Would love to hear what a ford tech would take, the 2011 F450 or 2013 F350?

Hi cdensomnia; there are engineering differences between the 350 / 450, quite a few actually. The few I can think of are a cast EGR valve, non vgt turbo and the emissions order in the exhaust is different. I will look at work tomorrow and post specifics. They are very different and will drive very different. The GVWR may not be much different, but I believe the tow capacity is different. I'll give you specifics tomorrow.

now let's talk about steering; the 450 / 550 turns way better then the lighter trucks. I mean night and day different. You'd be blown away if you drove both.

I'll post more specifics tomorrow if I make it in. I've fallen ill.

pegmikef

For the first 10k miles on my F350 I routinely got 12 - 13 mpg towing my rig dependent on wind and terrain. Now, with 17 k miles on the truck, my mpg seems to have dropped by 1 to 2 mpg. Is there some cause to for this. I just towed the rig to Florida (1200 plus miles) and my average ranged from 10.3 to 11.2 for the whole trip. I am on my way back and yesterday driving into a head wind I ran at 9.9 to 10.4. You mentioned clearing adaptive tables. Is this a routine procedure that my dealer can do and would it in fact improve my mpg? Thanks

porthole

Retired
Hi cdensomnia; there are engineering differences between the 350 / 450, quite a few actually. The few I can think of are a cast EGR valve, non vgt turbo and the emissions order in the exhaust is different. I will look at work tomorrow and post specifics. They are very different and will drive very different. The GVWR may not be much different, but I believe the tow capacity is different. I'll give you specifics tomorrow.

Aren't those differences for the cab & chassis model?

The specs I have on the 350 DRW and 450 "pickup" are the same for the most part with the exception of the GVWR, wide track axle and 4.30 gearing. Don't remember if the brakes are different between 2011 450 and 2013 350.
The neutering cedesomnia mentions really is the change from 19.5" to 17" wheels and tires AFAIK.

Cedensomnia, the 2011 truck you looked at. Early models had different engine calibrations (less horsepower & torque) and different chassis configurations (lower GVW and towing). "Job 1 or Job 2". Some very early 2011's also had some valve breakage problems.

Personally, as good as the new platform is, I would go for the newest model I could afford.
There are just so many little differences and improvements over time. 3 examples for model year 2011.
The pickups had a running chassis improvement around mid August 2010 that increased the GVW, towing and overall strength.
Trucks built after November 1st 2010 got a heated, power, sliding rear window as an option.
And it has been fairly well documented on the various Ford forums that a mid 2011 engine & power train programming update drastically affected fuel mileage with some trucks - mine included.

I had no engine drivability or transmission shifting issues when the dealer performed the update that I specifically asked not be done. My towing mileage dropped from an average of 11.5 to 9 - 9.5 mpg.

cdensomnia

Aren't those differences for the cab & chassis model?

The specs I have on the 350 DRW and 450 "pickup" are the same for the most part with the exception of the GVWR, wide track axle and 4.30 gearing. Don't remember if the brakes are different between 2011 450 and 2013 350.
The neutering cedesomnia mentions really is the change from 19.5" to 17" wheels and tires AFAIK.

Cedensomnia, the 2011 truck you looked at. Early models had different engine calibrations (less horsepower & torque) and different chassis configurations (lower GVW and towing). "Job 1 or Job 2". Some very early 2011's also had some valve breakage problems.

Personally, as good as the new platform is, I would go for the newest model I could afford.
There are just so many little differences and improvements over time. 3 examples for model year 2011.
The pickups had a running chassis improvement around mid August 2010 that increased the GVW, towing and overall strength.
Trucks built after November 1st 2010 got a heated, power, sliding rear window as an option.
And it has been fairly well documented on the various Ford forums that a mid 2011 engine & power train programming update drastically affected fuel mileage with some trucks - mine included.

I had no engine drivability or transmission shifting issues when the dealer performed the update that I specifically asked not be done. My towing mileage dropped from an average of 11.5 to 9 - 9.5 mpg.

@porthole - You are correct, it seems that the pre-2011 model years actually had some larger differences. In the 2011 model year they made the F450 and F350 VERY similar. However, from other ford forums I have read that the cab and chassis F450's did not have those changes made. So what I have read is that if you want a "TRUE" F450 like the pre-2011's you would get a cab and chassis and add a bed.

I guess I am just trying to figure out which one will suit my needs better from a towing perspective. Like I said I really like the tighter turning radius of the 450 which almost sells itself but I also don't want to miss out on potential improvements they made between the years.

porthole

Retired
If you want a true 450 get either a pre 2010 or earlier or a 2015.

Cab & chassis has reduced HP and torque (significant, programing, turbo etc.) and a few other things. But, a cab & chassis also has a 4" longer frame, so it is not as simple as just adding a PU bed. Different fuel tanks too.

Rodbuster

Good morning,

Yesterday I received a recall letter from Ford for my 2011 F350 Super Duty.
Emission Recall 14E03

It states that "the Selective Catalyst Reduction system calibration must be updated to meet emission guidelines".

In addition, Ford states that there are "additional improvements" to be made also.
Would you know what those "additional improvements" are?

Dick

PS. StagNW, thank you so much for the time and information that you provide on this forum. I look forward to reading all of your posts.

lwmcguir

Good morning,

Emission Recall 14E03

It states that "the Selective Catalyst Reduction system calibration must be updated to meet emission guidelines".

In addition, Ford states that there are "additional improvements" to be made also.

Dick

PS. StagNW, thank you so much for the time and information that you provide on this forum. I look forward to reading all of your posts.

Thanks StagNW as well, got the same letter am curious also

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Good morning,

Emission Recall 14E03

Dick

As did I and had the update done this am. Per the Service Mgr the update is in response to certain fault codes reported on the truck's message board by the computer that end up erroneous. He likened it to your laptop when software updates are available. When I asked about any noticeable effects I was told there'd be nothing apparent. BTW it took about an hour to "reprogram the PCM to the latest level".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StagNW

Hi guys, the information I recieve is about the same as you do regarding "why". The info provided in the "What the issue is" section essentially covers it. It only effects up to build date 8-6-13. I believe the the other improvements are from the software updated in another module. We cannot update just one module. Say I select PCM, if others have updated programming avail, it will program them automatically. I can't stop it without risking file corruption in the module and possibly losing the module if it doesn't come back online. I did three 14E03 recalls today. Two reprogrammed PCM, GPCM, NOx and TCM modules. (GPCM is glow plug control module and NOx is nitrates of oxygen module.) one truck took PCM and TCM only. Let me me know if I can help further.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
StagNW, I enjoy reading all of this info and have a mod question. I have a 08 F350 and would like to add an engine brake. What would you recommend? I love my 08 but wish it was more fuel friendly. My son wants to do the dpf delete but I'm not sure if I would get caught somehow. I used a supertech programmer and while it greatly increased power, it made no difference on mileage so I returned it.

StagNW

StagNW, I enjoy reading all of this info and have a mod question. I have a 08 F350 and would like to add an engine brake. What would you recommend? I love my 08 but wish it was more fuel friendly. My son wants to do the dpf delete but I'm not sure if I would get caught somehow. I used a supertech programmer and while it greatly increased power, it made no difference on mileage so I returned it.

Hi Superduty08; unfortunatly the emissions kill the fuel milage. If your concerned about the recourse of doing something like that, then I wouldn't do it. As for the exhaust brake I have little to no experience with them on this engine. I know Banks makes a programmable version and bd makes a inline valve. You'd have to research them and see if one is what you're looking for.

To to solve both of those issues, I'd get a 6.7! Wish I could be more help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know Banks makes a programmable version and bd makes a inline valve. You'd have to research them and see if one is what you're looking for.
I had the Banks system on my 2007 GMC. Simple plug and play and it really worked well.

Peace
Dave

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
StagNW, I wished that I could have the 6.7. I had a '03 with the 6.0 and apparently was the only one that had no problems. I just had to have the 6.4 with the dual tubos and more power. It was my retirement truck. When it was paid for, I retired. I love it anyway and I'll have it as long as it last. I'll have study a little more on the engine brake. Just thought Ford may have one I could use.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey Mark,

I just scheduled my truck in for the 14E03 Recall and a LOF with you on February 10. See ya then!!

Rod Ditrich

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I guess I will put in my 2 cents worth. I have a 2006 F250 6.0 Long Bed. I have the EGR Delete and SCT Program to kill the warning light and add a 65hp in the towing setting, which I leave in at all times.
I have 203k + miles on it. I have a great technician here in McKinney TX, Powerflo Diesel. Great place for all diesel work.

He, and others have told me that the head gaskets will go, not if they will go out.

I can regularly get 10mpg towing on even highways. Get about 17mpg around town with no trailer.

Only thing I would like to have is an exhaust break or such but I don't think one can be installed on the 6.0.

Glad you're on the forum. It's nice to have someone with your experience.

BC