New Haul and Tow RV transporter truck build..... Season II

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Thanks Dew.

Been slow going last few days. Spent all day yesterday at the DMV taking care of business. Snails move faster than these people do. Fastest thing I seen them do all day was run out the door for lunch.

Finally finished welding up the drop frame and putting a few bolts in it this morning before we got a downpour that flooded my shop 1/2" deep in water in a matter of 10 minutes, had about 6" of water just outside the shop. I have never seen my yard and shop flood like that in the rain before, It came down so hard that I had to put my ear plugs in inside that metal building and the ditches filled within a couple minutes. An hour later everything was dry again. Ten 5/8" grade 8 bolts washers and lock nuts ought to do the trick....... Especially when you consider that the shear strength is approximatly 22,000 lbs and clamping force is roughly 25,000 lbs......... EACH!!! The only reason I'm bolting through is because I don't have enough area to weld to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I also added a crossmember up front to stiffen up the area where the crossmember gussets are attached to prevent this area from bowing down under load. This crossmember is the most important part of the bed as it carries almost the entire weight of the trailer when the truck is loaded right here.

The rear of the drop frame is bobbed at 12'-3" from the center of the rear axle. This gives me almost 10-1/2" left for bumper, ramp mounts, stinger and hitch. We are limited to 4 meters of tail swing in British Columbia which is 13'-1.48" and they do measure us. They usually just measure to the back of the bumper and let us slide on the hitch but I'm gonna give a little wiggle room for some rookie trying to make a name for themselves.

Tomorrow I hope to make some headway and get the deck crossmembers and stinger in. We'll just have to see how well mother nature cooperates as it's calling for scattered thunderstorms for the next 2 days.

IMG00432-20100602-2004.jpg IMG00437-20100602-2005.jpg IMG00444-20100602-2007.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

pmmjarrett

Got the 4 degree taper cut on the drop frame, the rough holes cut for the tail lights, stinger, marker lamps and 7 pin plug and have the rear bumper tacked into place. With any luck tomorrow I'll get the bed crossmembers and stinger receiver in and get this section welded up.

IMG00448-20100603-2027.jpg IMG00450-20100603-2027.jpg IMG00454-20100603-2028.jpg IMG00457-20100603-2029.jpg

pmmjarrett

Starting to look like something now. Today I got the deck crossmembers pierced through the drop frame and fabricated the 3-1/2" extendable stinger receiver. Everything is just tacked in place right now. Will weld it up solid in the morning.

I have about 2 days worth of metal fabrication left and then it's time for paint and final assembly.

IMG00469-20100604-1655.jpg IMG00460-20100604-1653.jpg IMG00465-20100604-1654.jpg IMG00462-20100604-1654.jpg

pmmjarrett

Just finished welding for almost 9 hrs straight, doing the final welding and aligning of the crossmembers and bumper to the drop frame, installing the new flange on the tapered portion of the drop frame and adding a couple eyes to hold the lanyards for the stinger pins and installing a couple loops for the safety chains. There's a lot of out of position welding when working with channel iron. Channel is a pain to work with but it's strong and light.

The water cooler for the TIG torch holds over 10 gallons, has been running all day and the water tank was too hot to touch when I closed up shop. I had to add 3 gallons of water a few hours ago when the TIG torch was getting too hot to hold, that's how much evaporated today.

Was hoping to finish up the fabrication today but there was simply more welding than I thought there was to do today.

IMG00474-20100606-2120.jpg IMG00476-20100606-2121.jpg IMG00480-20100606-2121.jpg IMG00482-20100606-2122.jpg IMG00483-20100606-2123.jpg

pmmjarrett

Woo Hoo....... All structural fabrication and welding is done. Only fabrication and welding left now is small stuff like the ramp holders, deck plate, light brackets, last section of center channel, rub rails, etc.... All metal fab work will be done in the next day or 2. Then it's time for paint and final assembly.

Today I fit and welded in the last deck crossmember, install the deck sides and almost finished up the center channel before I ran a last minute 15 minute errand for Mama picking up a matteress from her sister 2 miles away..... that ended up taking almost 2 hrs:rolleyes: when she got gabbing with her sister that she sees almost daily as it is:mad:. She finally got a clue when I walked out of the house, got in my dually and started it.

IMG00488-20100607-1950.jpg IMG00489-20100607-1950.jpg IMG00497-20100607-1952.jpg IMG00492-20100607-1951.jpg IMG00496-20100607-1952.jpg

pmmjarrett

Last section of the center channel is in. Currently working on the ramp pockets and deck plate. Hopefully I can finish all of the remaining fabrication today and get it painted.

IMG00501-20100608-1746.jpg IMG00502-20100608-1746.jpg IMG00506-20100611-1947.jpg IMG00508-20100611-1947.jpg IMG00515-20100611-1950.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Looking good Mike! I'm sure it's a visual thing but the part aft of the rear axle sure looks like a long stretch. Will there be much/any flex back there? I can't wait to see it after it's painted.

Brisco

Hey PMM!!

We've missed you over on the Auto board.

I just joined today so that I could see all the pics of this new build. Looking over this site, I'm glad I decided to join. Lots of cool stuff here.

Sorry to hear about the white truck. Where's it at now?? By the looks of the 3 pictures you put up, it looks like it would be an easy repair for you, know what I mean. Are you going to sell it or bring it back home as a "Back Up"? Had the same thing happen to me up in Ohio back in 2005 when I was with RAD. Didn't hit my truck though, took out the back corner of the 31ft "Tag" trailer I was delivering over to Pennsylvania. You got lucky here, the guy that took out my trailer didn't even stop. Was walking back to truck and something didn't look right. As I got closer, I was like what the heck!

Sure do like this new truck build. One question though, you didn't have to file IFTA on the last one did ya? Looks like you'll have to have to this one. I know with the weight of these trailers we haul, you are never never going to be working that engine and I bet your MPG is going to be much much better. Also, if you go ahead and finish the top deck from the dual to the cab, you'll have plenty of room and the carrying capacity for a 2 car backhaul gig. If Horizon is not getting you backhauls, then we need to talk. PM me and I'll tell you who NEEDS Haul & Tows desperately right now for their outbound trailer deliveries and their auto hauling backhauls.

Can't wait to see this one finished!! Don't be a stranger, OK!! Pop in over there and say HEY sometime.

Brisco

(PS - Admin or Members!! Where's the button I push to make threads show 1st Post 1st??? I hate reading boards backwards - 1st post way back on page 7 - and then having to read this thing in reverse!! I looked and cannot find the settings to correct this. Thanks!)

pmmjarrett

Looking good Mike! I'm sure it's a visual thing but the part aft of the rear axle sure looks like a long stretch. Will there be much/any flex back there? I can't wait to see it after it's painted.

Thanks Ray.

This truck has more tail swing than the Ford, This one is out at 12'8" of tail swing to the back of the stinger. There is always a lot of twisting flex in long wheelbase trucks, this one has less than the Ford though.

Paint might happen tomorrow.;)

pmmjarrett

Hey PMM!!

We've missed you over on the Auto board.

I just joined today so that I could see all the pics of this new build. Looking over this site, I'm glad I decided to join. Lots of cool stuff here.

Sorry to hear about the white truck. Where's it at now?? By the looks of the 3 pictures you put up, it looks like it would be an easy repair for you, know what I mean. Are you going to sell it or bring it back home as a "Back Up"? Had the same thing happen to me up in Ohio back in 2005 when I was with RAD. Didn't hit my truck though, took out the back corner of the 31ft "Tag" trailer I was delivering over to Pennsylvania. You got lucky here, the guy that took out my trailer didn't even stop. Was walking back to truck and something didn't look right. As I got closer, I was like what the heck!

Sure do like this new truck build. One question though, you didn't have to file IFTA on the last one did ya? Looks like you'll have to have to this one. I know with the weight of these trailers we haul, you are never never going to be working that engine and I bet your MPG is going to be much much better. Also, if you go ahead and finish the top deck from the dual to the cab, you'll have plenty of room and the carrying capacity for a 2 car backhaul gig. If Horizon is not getting you backhauls, then we need to talk. PM me and I'll tell you who NEEDS Haul & Tows desperately right now for their outbound trailer deliveries and their auto hauling backhauls.

Can't wait to see this one finished!! Don't be a stranger, OK!! Pop in over there and say HEY sometime.

Brisco

(PS - Admin or Members!! Where's the button I push to make threads show 1st Post 1st??? I hate reading boards backwards - 1st post way back on page 7 - and then having to read this thing in reverse!! I looked and cannot find the settings to correct this. Thanks!)

Hey Brisco, Look at top of page and bottom of page, there is a button labled "first"

I didn't know Y'all moved over to Autoexpediters when Rvtransporters shut down. I'm not registered there...... Yet.

Now that I have found you.... and Karl, Colorado, Blacktruck and Roadmedic... I'll be there shortly.

White truck had $12k in damage. Much more than a tore up hood and bumper, got the insurance check and then sold this one to a buddy who sold it to somebody else out west who wants to fix it up.

This truck is only a few thousand pounds heavier than the Ford so I am running apportioned plates and IFTA to maximize what I can haul. I could swing it under IFTA with a 26k plate but that would limit me to just the small haul and tow freight only instead of being able to grab 2 larger pickup truck towaway singles that pay MUCH better.

pmmjarrett

Now for the rest of the story.

Both ramp pockets are done exept for the rear latch I am fabricating to secure all 3 ramps with one handle and one lock.

I used the stinger off the old Ford and just had to make a few modifications to make it work here. That piece of 3-1/2" square tube, chain and 2" receiver is over $200 of steel and parts to make again from scratch, dang skippy I kept it when I left the wrecked truck at the body shop in Oregon. Fabricated the center channel ramp today too.

Also put in a couple more loops for the stingers safety chains, another part salvaged from the Ford. Cut these off of a custom gooseneck adaptor I had made for that truck that isn't going on this one.

IMG00522-20100612-2003.jpg IMG00518-20100612-2000.jpg IMG00524-20100612-2003.jpg

IMG00525-20100612-2003.jpg IMG00528-20100612-2004.jpg IMG00530-20100612-2005.jpg

Brisco

I didn't know Y'all moved over to Autoexpediters when Rvtransporters shut down. I'm not registered there...... Yet.

Now that I have found you.... and Karl, Colorado, Blacktruck and Roadmedic... I'll be there shortly.

Wow.......When you show up, you really "Show Up"!! HaHa

(To your friends here - PMM said he was only going to post his new build diary here. Well, he's been busy tonight catching us all up with the build over there too!! Ya'll don't mind sharing him, do ya??) HaHa

I could've sworn you were already with all of us over there at the Auto board. Just figured you were so busy that we had slipped your mind lately. I would've invited you way back in January when I found you were here showing off the "build" here too.

Anyways, I'm sure the guys are going to kick out of you finally showing up. Just make sure you don't abandon all the friends you made here, OK! This is a very clean and well received discussion board. I like what I've seen so far.

Just what I need............Another discussion board to keep up with! HaHa

Brisco

pmmjarrett

Y'all never slipped my mind, checked rvtransports many times but in case someone brought the site up again. Just didn't know where everyone went.

This Forum is one of the cleanest best moderated on the web. The people here, and I have met many in person, are some of the most fun loving easy going bunch you would ever have the pleasure of meeting.

I am an RVer and enthusiest but I still have to watch myself a bit here because I'm the worlds most famous RV transporter:cool:

pmmjarrett

No way to sugar coat this so here goes.

Ahem........ After sleeping in until NOON today, OOPS, and finally wandering into the shop this afternoon only to retreat shortly thereafter due to a nasty thunderstorm until it subsided about 2 hrs ago..........

I finally managed to finish up the latch assembly for the ramps. All I have to do is take off one lock and push the handle down and all 3 ramps are ready to slide out. Only metal fabrication left is the rub rails, deck plate, a few marker light brackets, cut a hole for the reverse light and add a mount for the Hula skirt and then it's ready for paint and final assembly.

IMG00531-20100613-2117.jpg IMG00534-20100613-2117.jpg IMG00537-20100613-2118.jpg IMG00538-20100613-2119.jpg

pmmjarrett

One problem with living in the boonies like I do is a quick trip to town blows 3 - 4 hrs, half the day shot running to get an 8' piece of angle iron and an 8' section of square tube.

Used the angle for the Hula Skirt mount and had the machine shop chop up the square tube into 3" chunks for stake pockets. Worth every penny of the $30 shop labor especially considering my chop saw motor is just about shot.

Hula Skirt mount is welded on and one side of the rub rail is almost done and one of the marker light brackets is welded on.

IMG00546-20100614-1828.jpg IMG00543-20100614-1828.jpg IMG00548-20100614-1943.jpg IMG00551-20100614-1944.jpg IMG00553-20100614-1945.jpg

pmmjarrett

Been welding all day on the deck plate, rub rails, marker light bracket and ramp mount. Left side of the bed is complete. Deck plate is cut and ready to weld up on the right side tomorrow. All welding and metal fabrication should be done tomorrow if the weather cooperates a bit. calling for a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Will have to go get my 4th bottle of Argon for the TIG welder tomorrow. These 160 cu ft bottles are good for about 10 - 15 hrs each so I have about 30 - 45 hrs of just welding on this bed so far.

I sure could use a little break from this heat and humidity. 97*F, no breeze and 90% humidity bites. Been like that the last few days and see no break in the forcast for the next 10 days. Oh well, suck it up and drive on.

IMG00556-20100615-2039.jpg IMG00560-20100615-2039.jpg IMG00563-20100615-2040.jpg IMG00565-20100615-2041.jpg

pmmjarrett

Deck plate is done. Only thing left now is to finish the rub rail and ramp mount and a few minor details on the right side, touch everything up and remove any sharp edges with the grinder and then it's off to paint, powder coat and chrome....... errrrr.... well a $28 gallon of red Rustoleum anyways.

I think I have figured out a couple of my "Top Secret" timesaver ideas and may make a couple minor changes and additions tomorrow too.

IMG00566-20100616-2056.jpg IMG00571-20100616-2057.jpg IMG00573-20100616-2057.jpg

pmmjarrett

Metal fabrication is done and it's all painted red now.... as well as my own hands and arms. Could use another coat but that ain't happening right now.

Shop lighting makes it look orange LOL. I'll get it pulled out of the shop tomorrow in daylight for a few pics.

Time now for a 3 day thrash to finish it up and be ready to work.

IMG00575-20100617-1835.jpg IMG00579-20100617-2159.jpg IMG00580-20100617-2200.jpg