New Landmark Rushmore - rattling water pipes !!!

gregd

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. It looks like a great support network and I look forward to offering any tidbits of knowledge I can in the future.

We just received our new unit and all I can say is WOW!!! We came from a 34' Class A single slide and what a difference!!! This thing is comfy!!!

My question is regarding the noisy water pipes. I mean...the unit is just gushing with quality workmanship everywhere you look but when I turn on the water pump it is like the poor thing is coming apart at the seams. Is anyone else experiencing this???

Does anyone know where the pump is located so I can at least put some flexible pipes between the pump and the rest of the rigid plastic plumbing? Any other fixes to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
First, congratulations on the new rig. We know you will have many fantastic times in it.

Don't know if this is the first RV, but FYI, water pumps do make noise. You should be able to hear it run (cycle) when you turn on the water. It should cycle on and off when using the water. It should not cycle when not using the water. If that happens it would be indicative of a water leak. Sometimes the pipes will rattle especially if they bump together or shake when the pump runs. You can check this out by looking at the pipes in the basement (you may have to remove the basement wall). If you see pipes shaking you can insulate them to help. You can insulate them by using the foam pipe wrap like you would use to insulate the pipes for winter. Good luck and congratulatons again.
PS check out the Heartland Owners Club. I would suggest you join and take advantage of the club benefits.

jimtoo

Hi gregd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Like jgratz said, open the basement up and check the mounting of the pump. It may be loose, who knows. But check it out and let us know.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

gregd

but FYI, water pumps do make noise. You should be able to hear it run (cycle) when you turn on the water.

Thanks Jim...ya we have had numerous MH's but this is our first 5vr. We have just come from a 34' Class A.

The water pump is running quiet. A little vibration but nothing out of the ordinary. This noise is definitely from rattling pipes. They sound like they are loose and rattling against the floor penetrations or frame somewhere.

Can you guys help me out with instructions on how to access the basement (removing the basement wall)? Which wall...where...in the storage area?

Thx,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The wall panels you need to remove are the rear walls of the basement storage area. Depending on the layout of your basement area, you may need to remove 3 or 4 screws from inside the UDC, as well as some from where the panels join in the center of the area (if they do). You will need a #2 square drive bit to remove them. Usually, the water pump is mounted to the floor behind the UDC area.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not sure on your Landmark but our Landmark has two sliding door panels on the back wall of the basement. You can slide the door (wall) panel and see the water pump. Once at that point you can have someone inside turn on the water pump and then the water and watch and listen to see what is causing the noise. Once you find it then you can work on securing or insulating the item causing the noise. It might even be the water pump itself is not secured to the floor like it should be.

Willym

The Rushmore has a removable panel on the off door side. It attaches to the door side panel with at least one screw, mid way up. There may be a few screws to remove where the panel meets the inside edge of the UDC surround. The water pump is behind the UDC, as is the isolation valve for the ice-maker supply if you have one.

I can hear my pump, but I don't get any pipe rattle. However, the piping layout behind the UDC is not the tidiest bit of plumbing work, and no lines are clipped down. You may have some lines banging against each other. Any air in your system will also cause more rattle, so you may want to check the pump connections on the suction side to see that they are tight and that no air is being drawn in.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Greg, just so you know. Unless HL has gone to hard pipe (plumbing) you should only have pex tubing. As one poster said...you may have a piece of pex hitting or rubbing on the floor or the frame somewhere. Normally, vibrating plumbing is caused by the water pump cavitating from air in the lines or maybe too much water pressure. My2cts.

sunflower

Get a childs plastic foam swim noodle,a sharp knife,some electrical sticky tape,plastic tye wraps and go to it,when you are done it will be nice and quiet.Cut the noodle into blocking and surround and isolate the pipes.

gregd

Get a childs plastic foam swim noodle,a sharp knife,some electrical sticky tape,plastic tye wraps and go to it,when you are done it will be nice and quiet.Cut the noodle into blocking and surround and isolate the pipes.

cool...great idea.

Thx for all the advice guys.

I'll get to it and post the results.