New Rubber for the Cyclone!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Howdy all! The time has come to put some new running shoes on the Cyclone! Those Missions got to go! I'm leaving Whiting, IN in a couple of weeks and heading to SW Texas (west of Odessa!) for my next job. Current tires are Load Range E and wheels are rated for 3042 lbs. In looking at the Mich XPS, they have 235/85 but not the 235/80 - which is my current size. I believe this is because the XPS's are LT tires and the Missions are ST.

Since they are .9" larger and will therefore be closer together when mounted on the Cyclone, has anyone else done this on their Cyclone?
I'll check the distance between the Missions when I get off in about an hour. How close is 'too close' to increase to the larger diameter tire?
I would assume the axles wouldn't be too close to prevent this, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I used them on my previous Big horn and they fit with a little smaller gap between tires. I never had a clearance issue and had a lot more confidence in the mich xps tires.

TXTiger

I have them on my rig. They do look a little close. Had Lippert examine my rig when I went to the National Rally last year and they said everything was fine. Have been running them for a year and a half with no problems.

jnbhobe

HT, how ya doing? you can go to any LT 235-85-16 LR-E all are 3042 lbs @ 80psi they will work fine. If you can do the width you can use LT265-75-16 and go to 3415 lbs @ 80psi I did that on my last rig. Glad to see your still hanging around.

Jim.Allison

Howdy all! The time has come to put some new running shoes on the Cyclone! Those Missions got to go! I'm leaving Whiting, IN in a couple of weeks and heading to SW Texas (west of Odessa!) for my next job. Current tires are Load Range E and wheels are rated for 3042 lbs. In looking at the Mich XPS, they have 235/85 but not the 235/80 - which is my current size. I believe this is because the XPS's are LT tires and the Missions are ST.

Since they are .9" larger and will therefore be closer together when mounted on the Cyclone, has anyone else done this on their Cyclone?
I'll check the distance between the Missions when I get off in about an hour. How close is 'too close' to increase to the larger diameter tire?
I would assume the axles wouldn't be too close to prevent this, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx This is the tire for your trailer. You Rim spec is on the back side of the rim, if it does not say 3750 @ 110 PSI, then you have the wrong rims. AS far as I know there is no other trailer tire with this spec. This is not a ST tire it is a LT specificly for trailer service. Do not become involved in the ST v. LT debate. If your rims are not approved 3750 LBS at 110 PSI then you need to get the rims that are approved. I suggest this website; http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/product/ARG2358516GPH66865HDB You can buy a tire and wheel assembly here and they will come to your front door mounted and balanced. Just be sure to measure your lugs and bolt pattern correctly. you probably have an 8 on 6.25 and 9/16 lugs. As an extra step I would try to go with HiSpec rims/wheels. If your rims are only good for 3040 like you say (I'm not a believer) you will need new rims. If that is the case you might want to step up to 17.5 inch HiSpec mod 03 and go to the g114 tire. The g114 is expensive but Michelins are half the price and there are many others in this category that will do your job. But you are running 6 tires on your rig you need good tires and you cannot afford to make the wrong choice because you will be living with it for a while. The placard on your rig calls for the g614. Go with it or better.

Jim.Allison

One must forget this ST v Lt tire debate. ST stands for crummy tire or will pop, or blowmax, or what ever you want to call it. They were running LT radials on trailers long before ST tires came to the market. ST tires are rated so high in load rating because there is little service factor built in. An LT is approved for vehicle use and has a much higher service factor. You can feel the difference between a 37 lb ST tire and a 50 lb LT tire. Which is more substantial, the difference between a ballon and a basket ball is a good analogy. The ballon being the ST. For the cyclone in question the tire is a G114 and the wheel is a 3750 LB rim 110 psi rim. OR BETTER assembly in the 17.5 in rim arena. Here is another place that can help you decide
http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/tires-175-trailer.php

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One must forget this ST v Lt tire debate. ST stands for crummy tire or will pop, or blowmax, or what ever you want to call it. They were running LT radials on trailers long before ST tires came to the market. ST tires are rated so high in load rating because there is little service factor built in. An LT is approved for vehicle use and has a much higher service factor. You can feel the difference between a 37 lb ST tire and a 50 lb LT tire. Which is more substantial, the difference between a ballon and a basket ball is a good analogy. The ballon being the ST. For the cyclone in question the tire is a G114 and the wheel is a 3750 LB rim 110 psi rim. OR BETTER assembly in the 17.5 in rim arena. Here is another place that can help you decide http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/tires-175-trailer.php

Sure is hard to read these small fonts.

Jim.Allison

HT, how ya doing? you can go to any LT 235-85-16 LR-E all are 3042 lbs @ 80psi they will work fine. If you can do the width you can use LT265-75-16 and go to 3415 lbs @ 80psi I did that on my last rig. Glad to see your still hanging around.

The 2009 Cyclone 3950 calls for Load Range G tires. NOT E. The 10 psi is actually 110 psi, I guess they did not have room for the 110 so they put _10.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 10.29.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 10.29.34 PM.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 53

caissiel

Beware the sheet is wrong.
The axles do not match the tires and I would check the wheels.
We have a 2009 BC with similar build sheets with 6000lbs axles and 80psi ST tires.
The actual axles are 7000lbs with 8 bolts hubs and 9/16 studs. 7K springs and 9/16 Ubolts.
Tires are Freestar load range G at 110psi.

Someone must have been sleeping at the controls those years. I rolled under the unit when we first bought our BC, to check the problem of tire difference in description. I knew that 6000lbs axles only had 6 studs.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I knew that 6000lbs axles only had 6 studs.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

We had 8 lug, 6k Lippert axels on our 14,430 gvwr 2010 ElkRidge. We upgraded to 7k Dexter after a bent axle the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Well, I checked the distance between the tires when I got back last night and between the front and middle tire there was 2 1/2" and between the middle and rear tire - 1 1/2". I can easily see this is due to the differing position of the equalizers between the axles, which allows for the articulation of multi-axle trailers. The 1 1/2" distance sure has me concerned that by closing that gap another inch, may not be the best thing to do!

Also, my current tire are definitely Mission ST235/80R16 Load Range E and my wheels are marked with 3042 Max load, which is Load range E.
My sticker is attached, which confirms load range E.
HT 216.jpg

Jim.Allison

Well, I checked the distance between the tires when I got back last night and between the front and middle tire there was 2 1/2" and between the middle and rear tire - 1 1/2". I can easily see this is due to the differing position of the equalizers between the axles, which allows for the articulation of multi-axle trailers. The 1 1/2" distance sure has me concerned that by closing that gap another inch, may not be the best thing to do!

Also, my current tire are definitely Mission ST235/80R16 Load Range E and my wheels are marked with 3042 Max load, which is Load range E.
My sticker is attached, which confirms load range E.
View attachment 30223

WOW, I have to check my sources. Your sticker is the last word:cool: