New Tires = Increased Stability in Wind

rxbristol

I installed new tires this weekend (Continental 235/75R17.5 HTL2) and one of the first things I noticed is how much more stable our rig is in high winds sitting on the pad vs the Goodyear G614s. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bones

I installed new tires this weekend (Continental 235/75R17.5 HTL2) and one of the first things I noticed is how much more stable our rig is in high winds sitting on the pad vs the Goodyear G614s. Has anyone else experienced this?
I would say it is the difference in sidewall of the tire. The 17.5 has a lower profile tire than the 16 inch Goodyear. This will give you a better handling rig. You do not have as much sidewall flex. I would also go and say that tire pressure plays a roll as well.

carl.swoyer

What is the weight ratings on the Continental's. Did you add weight capacity or loose..... As compared to the Goodyear 614. I run Goodyear s at 110 psi of nitro not air

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rxbristol

What is the weight ratings on the Continental's. Did you add weight capacity or loose..... As compared to the Goodyear 614. I run Goodyear s at 110 psi of nitro not air

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

These tires are definitely over engineered for my needs. The Goodyears were at 93% of capacity, the next size up would be at approximately 70 percent capacity while the tires I installed are at approximately 55 percent of capacity. The tires are rated for higher loads than the rims and are designed for long-haul semi-trailers. Even though I have weighed my rig, I do not have individual tire weights--that will happen this fall when we go down to Livingston, TX for the Escapees SmartWeigh. I agree with another poster that it's the stiffer sidewall that provides the extra stability. They make the Goodyears look very wimpy when set side by side. These tires are rated at 6005 lbs.