New Transporter Truck

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I'm gonna have to drive down some weekend and check this out...the pictures got me so confused, I'm not sure if I'm seeing one or five trucks.

CrazyScotsman

Mike, your wife don't mind the grass being red ?

Well, I just got back in from a quick trip to San Bernadino CA. Left Friday at 5.30am, got back in at 1pm, and even had to wait 2 1/2 hours getting a trailer tyre replaced, in BFE Arizona.
Hope I get more than 1 run this coming week.

I can't wait to see the finished product Mike. Look's good apart from the red grass.

Cheers ....Ken

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
C'mon now, the grass is black now:D............... and red and green and brown.

Went out last night and splurged and bought LED lights for the truck. Tail lights are now the 27 LEd oval lights and marker lights have 9 LEDs each and boy are they bright. If you can't see me hit the brakes you are blind.
IMG01273.jpg

IMG01271.jpg

IMG01274.jpg

Let me light up my tail lights for you. In case somebody might have trouble seeing just 2, I installed 6
IMG01266.jpg

Now if you are having trouble seeing those 6, let me tap the brake pedal for you. If you can't see me now, you need to turn in your drivers license and sell your vehicle.
IMG01270.jpg

Yes these are DOT approved and legal lights.

CrazyScotsman

now all you need now is the clear lens amber leds along the side Chicken truck
Oh yea, big chrome TX bumper and chrome air breather's

pmmjarrett

now all you need now is the clear lens amber leds along the side Chicken truck
Oh yea, big chrome TX bumper and chrome air breather's

Oh man yer slipping. How could you forget the 10" stove pipes and the train horns.

I'd end up spending more than I paid for the truck lighting up a 40' straight truck like that.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, you need at least 1 6" straight pipe on the beast. Let that cum-a-long bark. What you mean "willis" no air horns? Bob:D

pmmjarrett

Stock 4" and muffled will be just fine:D

Spent about 1/2 the day on the phone with both the NC Motor Carrier enforcement working out the location of my ICC lights to stay out of trouble and Milemarker winch trying to figure out the wireless remote which turned out to be fried by the PO.... as well as the fried thermal reset on the winch motor itself.

Finally got the ICC lights mounted and legal and got the winch working now but one change I made on my center rail has my cable alignment goofed up so all the cable wants to load on one end, OOPS. Need to get a snatch block up where I originally intended to route the cable to correct this.

No pics today, used up my camera time throwing wrenches.

pmmjarrett

OK, I'll play nice, here's the pics.

Regs call for 3 identification marker lights on trucks and trailers over 80" wide. The center light needs to be as close to the center of the vehicle as possible and the ones on each side must be not less than 6" or more than 12" from the center to center of each light AND must be evenly spaced.

My problem is I forgot to make room for the ICC lights, the 7 way plug being close to the stinger was killing the distance I needed to keep between lights, I really didn't want an asymetrical look, I had to remove the bracket I originally made for the light for the stingers 2" receiver and I need to place them where they won't be torn off using the ramps as well as be visible when not towing a trailer.

I was considering putting them on the sleeper like on a pole truck but I would need to get a ruling from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or risk a ticket on this unique specialty carrier.

Solution, skinney lights LOL. by mounting the lights vertically vs horizontally the distance from the edge to the center of the light is 1/4" vs 2" drasticly reducing the amount of space I need to mount them.

BTW, did get the 7 pin connector wired and installed too.

IMG01278.jpg

IMG01281.jpg

IMG01283.jpg

IMG01287.jpg

pmmjarrett

Much accomplished today. Sleeper and cab interior are done.

IMG01293.jpg

Nice 8" thick 32" x 80" inner spring mattress
IMG01295.jpg

It is a sit in bunk. No climbing through the back window or steps to an outside door like is common on pickup cabs like this.
IMG01299.jpg

Mocking up the perfect seat height with some 1x3 lumber, 3" is just right for me. This cab is too short for the standard air ride that came on these Peterbilt seats. This particular seat is a Bostrom Talledega LSO, it's comfy. I do have the matching passenger seat but I'm not putting in a second seat, I want the extra space.
IMG01300.jpg

IMG01306.jpg

New seat base is made from 2 pieces of 1-1/2" angle iron.
IMG01310.jpg

IMG01311.jpg

It's all painted up and installed now, burned up all the daylight today from dawn to dusk to Git-R-Dun and my Blackberry doesn't take good pics at night.
IMG01316.jpg

Tom of Ypsi

Loved Red Green use to watch him while living in the Detroit area. Not many people in the states heard of him especially here in the south.

jayc

Legendary Member
Tom,
I've heard of Red Green and his show, which was shown on PBS. I never watched it, but I have heard of him.

pmmjarrett

Anybody that doesn't own at least one roll of 200 mph tape can't call themselves a mochanic. The most used tools in the box are the roll of 200 mph tape, the BFH, the cresent hammer and the one size fits all bolts pair of vice grips.

Got the insurance and tags today and ran around getting a few things done that I can't do myself for lack of a few tools that cost more than paying somebody else to do it.

Lowrider bunny hop competition......... Nope, but the sight did draw spectators. Jjust getting the exhaust stretched because it has to exit behind the sleeper. Had them cut off the turn down on the muffler, add 5-1/2' of 4" pipe and weld the turn down back on as well as use 2 hangers for those smooth highways.
IMG01319.jpg

IMG01323.jpg

IMG01325.jpg

Baby got new shoes on the steer axle today
IMG01328.jpg

Better shot of the seat and mount in daylight
IMG01331.jpg

IMG01333.jpg

Got it out of the shop without tearing anything up.
IMG01335.jpg

Almost done, will be finished in a few days and ready to terrorize the highways. Hopefully get her first load on Monday or Tuesday.

nhunter

So if I understand this, you built the whole truck yourself and paid someone to put the exhaust on??? Where was your duct tape?