New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Well the shake down run came to an early end as I managed to coat 2 trailers in oil on my last trip which cost me $169 to clean.

I knew I had an oil leak but it was manageable. I put it in the shop last week to locate it and they quoted me $2100 and 2 - 3 days to repair so I decided to make a few more runs during our busiest month since last July before putting it in the shop.

Well she only made one last run. My oil leak turned to a gusher blowing out 3 gallons of oil in the last few miles. Oil was coming from the between the timing cover and the engine block. Limped home after delivery and my fan clutch froze up. Started ordering parts over the phone and picked them up on the way home from NY.

Now for open heart surgery on a Cummins...... Looks more like I ripped her heart out...... actually I did.

Front completely off truck and engine torn down to remove camshaft to get the timing gear housing off. Radiator core support, radiator, intercooler and expansion tank were removed as one assembly.
IMG01411.jpg

IMG01401.jpg

IMG01404.jpg

1/2" wood dowels jammed into lifters to hold them off the camshaft and keep them from falling into the oil pan.
IMG01408.jpg

Valvetrain kept in order so it can be put back on exactly where it was.
IMG01413.jpg

The heart of the beast..... This is the camshaft for the "mechanically challenged"
IMG01415.jpg

I also managed to set the AC condensor off to one side and not have to evacuate the system and remove it.
IMG01417.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully it all goes as planned and you can get back on the road and make some money. It's good to hear the work you did to the beast is functioning as planned.

dewwood

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your truck issues. Looks like you have a handle on the problem though and will be back on the road in no time. I have been seeing a lot more campers being toted the last few weeks and this week there has been a huge migration north of the snowbirds. I also have noticed many more of the smaller units this year that must be what people can afford. Good luck on the repair job!

pmmjarrett

It's all good, hey it was a $3000 truck...... there had to be something wrong.

Stuffed her guts back in and did get it to fire up no problem. I pooched a $30 timing cover seal trying to install it and will have to wait until monday or tuesday to button it up. Upon closer inspection it looks like a speedy sleeve has already been installed on the crankshaft and the seal I had was for a crank that doesn't have this.
IMG01421.jpg

Also the fan clutch Ford ordered is the wrong one.. Not even close. Called on it and they said there was a change that requires me to buy a new "upgraded $300 fan as you can't get the old fan clutch and the new one I got is wrong for the conversion so they will have to order another one that costs $70 more than the one they got me...... I just love getting kicked in the teeth.

If this happens again I will be swapping ALL of the Ford pullies, alternator, PS pumps and AC to Dodge 3/4 ton or freightliner FL50/60 parts.

Parts guy said parts will be hard to get for the "old" F800 trucks as they are geared for the F650.... I told him that if it's this much of a PITA to get common parts for an F800 do you think I'd even consider buying an F650.
IMG01425.jpg

IMG01427.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, sorry dude about the engine problem. Looking at the fan clutch, it sure looks a GM Duramax fan clutch. Ford has used GM parts before. Bob:D

pmmjarrett

Mike, sorry dude about the engine problem. Looking at the fan clutch, it sure looks a GM Duramax fan clutch. Ford has used GM parts before. Bob:D

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. The new one looks exactly like the one I put on my 2000 7.3 PSD.

pmmjarrett

Well ....... no more jokesNone, it's time to get serious.

Got the right parts finally..... Which of course lightened my wallet another 500 bones as the correct parts naturally cost more than the wrong ones did...... Oh yea, I'm just thrilled about that.

On a good note my dispatcher called me up wanting to know how fast I could get up and going because they want me back on those trailers going to Salt Lake so hopefully I'll be back on the road Wednesday and pick them up on Thursday.

All that's left to do up front is change the oil, pour in the coolant and slap the hood back on.

IMG01428.jpg

IMG01430.jpg

CrazyScotsman

Well, I hope it holds up for you this time Mike.
One good thing is, you were able to get it home and do the repairs yourself, instead of getting stuck in BFE and having to rely on a shop.
Anyhoo good luck mate... Cheers Ken

pmmjarrett

Thanks Ken, doing any better work wise yet.

Engine done, oil changed, road tested, no leaks and ready to work.
IMG01438.jpg

Changed out the sloppy drag link too.
IMG01433.jpg

As soon as I finish lunch I have a few minor modifications to make to the bed and ramps to make things much easier for me.

CrazyScotsman

It's hit and miss Mike, last week 1 run to Phoenix AZ, this week 2 short runs 1 to Shreveport LA, other to Austin TX. got in Monday am, here it is Wednesday, still waiting. :(

pmmjarrett

That ain't good Ken. Just dropped 2 in WI and headed back to pick a couple more up going to FL, then picking one up in FL going to VA

pmmjarrett

Hows your truck workin out.?
are you back on the road or is it ssssslllllooowwwww right now?

I'm so busy I havn't had time to post or read anything lately.

Truck's working out great, I have made a few changes and need to do a few more but working good for now. Will get everybody up to date once I settle back home to do more work on the truck in a few weeks.

I have put 17,000 miles on the truck since I leased it on in the middle of March and have already delivered 18 trailers with it.

I have 2 trailers loaded right now going to MA for monday delivery, then going to OH to pick up 2 bound for FL then pickup 1 in GA and bring it back to IN. That'll keep me busy for all of next week, hopefully get it all done by friday.

Here's a little something to wet yer appetite. I had my stinger modified to be able to hook up gooseneck trailers, once I get home again I'll pick up my Putnam Firehawk II fifth wheel head that mounts to the gooseneck ball.

The adaptor is welded to the bottom of the stinger, to use the gooseneck I simply pull out the stinger, flip it upside down and pin in the ball stand.

IMG01454.jpg

IMG01455.jpg

IMG01449.jpg

IMG01444.jpg

IMG01462.jpg

IMG01460.jpg

IMG01464.jpg

IMG01459.jpg

CrazyScotsman

Mike, Glad the trucks working out for you mate, looks like your keeping real busy, thats a good thing.
I quit down in TX, had enough of that sitting BS. I came home 4/10.
I went and done a specimen in the cup yesterday, going to start running out to the west coast again hauling produce. Going to be out 6-7 days then home 2-3. Thats better than the 2 weeks out and 2 days off , that the first company that offered me
a job had.
Well, good luck to you, may see you out on the road,
Take care and keeep the rubber side down.... Cheers Ken.

dewwood

Mike,

Looks like the rig is working out well for you, glad all of your hard work is starting to pay off.

If you are interested I have a gooseneck to 5th wheel adapter made by Putnam that I have never used. I would be willing to let you have it very reasonably, let me know if interested.

Keep on truckin!

Dewey

irvin56

Super job

Nice to see you are able to have the flexabillity to haul all different types of trailer setups. More flexabillity means more choices for company to use your unit = More money, less down time, but less free time for you.

You are a VERY creative man, good thinker and also have to tools to modify and inprove your own destainee.

How's the sleeper working out for your back and comfort?

How's loading the ramps doing. Have you found an easier way to slide them in? (rollers on bed frame maybe)

Keep up the great work and get some rest ( when you can)

pmmjarrett

Ken, I'd NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to hauling garbage in a reefer. A week out and 2-3 home ain't bad 2 weeks out and 2 days off is a joke.

Dewey, I'm all set with the Putnam hitch thanks, just need to swing by the house to pick mine up, forgot to grab it when I was home fixing the leak.

Irvin, I don't want free time when I'm on the road, it's time to make money....Sleeper beats the back seat of the dually hands down, still want more room though LOL. Ramps have been trussed for strength and shortened to 8' vs the 12' they used to be.... and also pin on now, pop 3 pins and slide them on and off the truck. Don't need rollers or even straps anymore even though I do keep 1 strap on them as a redundant safety just in case.... also cuts down on the rattling a bit.

Now for my next trick... I am in the process of buying an air ride suspention for the rear axle right now. It will have automatic load leveling and air dump features.