New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Should have taken the opportunity to stuff a 7.3l in there. 500,000 school buses can't be wrong. Well maybe they can be.

:eek: Bwaaaaaaaaahahahhaha.....There's a step backwards (the other 2 million school busses had Cummins)

I wanna tow stuff....... Not get towed None

Already had a 7.3 NA IDI..... good on fuel but gutless had a 7.3 PSD...... Worse on fuel and an money pit....... Had a 6.0h No.... Really poor fuel economy and a bigger money pit..... You'll never see me with any 13 letter Sheet spreader or with any engine they make ever again or with a V-8 diesel of any flavor. Little inline 6 bangers for me.

2010augusta

Should have taken the opportunity to stuff a 7.3l in there. 500,000 school buses can't be wrong. Well maybe they can be.

I had a 1994 F-350 with a 7.3 IDI with factory turbo. no intercooler or any thing fancy. It was fantastic had good power and not too bad on fuel. If it was a 4x4 and a Duelly I might still have it. But for now I am happy with the '06 F-450 even with the 6.0 PSD.

CrazyScotsman

Because you spend too much time in truckstops sleeping ??? :confused:None Can't make no money sleeping;).

Yep Mike I really sleep a lot, almost 4000 miles in 5 days. No wonder I am so UGLY, lack of sleep. My biggest problem is getting back out when I get home, seems to take forever to get a load back West.:(:(
Anyhoo I'll keep my eyes open for ya.
Be safe... Keep the rubber side down. Cheers Ken

nhunter

:eek: Bwaaaaaaaaahahahhaha.....There's a step backwards (the other 2 million school busses had Cummins)

I wanna tow stuff....... Not get towed None

Already had a 7.3 NA IDI..... good on fuel but gutless had a 7.3 PSD...... Worse on fuel and an money pit....... Had a 6.0h No.... Really poor fuel economy and a bigger money pit..... You'll never see me with any 13 letter Sheet spreader or with any engine they make ever again or with a V-8 diesel of any flavor. Little inline 6 bangers for me.

Sadly Fords new diesel will be a v-8 as well. When will they learn to go in a straight line. I like the sheet spreader though, never heard that one before. That Cummins on the floor looks like a money pit too though!

pmmjarrett

My IDI was a good solid engine, very little trouble, could squeeze 22 mpg out of it on flat land running empty, just gutless without a turbo.

Stay safe Ken, Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder LOL, now that I've had a few weeks off my comic book should have caught up to me;)

Sadly Fords new diesel will be a v-8 as well. When will they learn to go in a straight line. I like the sheet spreader though, never heard that one before. That Cummins on the floor looks like a money pit too though!

I was sad to hear the replacement for the 6.4 was gonna be a V-8. I like a Ford truck but don't like their engine selection.

The Cummins I yanked has been a money pit. On the positive side, I can buy a set of 6 injectors for less than it costs for one Powerstroke injector and has no puterized controls and it has always been able to limp home under her own power and easy to get parts for.... so far knock on wood.

I paid $1800 for the new engine with the Fuller 5 speed tranny. When I sell my extra parts, tranny and part out the old engine I'll be able to be very close to break even or a small profit making my net cost for the swap nil :D Right now it also gives me a bunch of small spare parts like a tensioner, belts, alternator, PS pump, fuel pump, injectors, turbo, Intercooler boots, clamps etc.... I can carry with me if I decide too.

Next truck will likely have a Series 60 Detroit in it. Bar none, the most dependable and fuel efficient engine I ever had in a big truck

Here's a sneek peek at a few of the trucks I'm considering purchasing for my next build.

79934749.jpg

80731179.jpg

75784179.jpg

80750515.jpg

pmmjarrett

On to the continuation of this never ending story. Pretty much everything I do from here out will be able to be transferred easily to the next truck.

I am installing dual 150 gallon aluminum Freightliner fuel tanks, yep that's 300 gallons total fuel capacity. This will significantly increase my distance between fills, oftem most trips will be able to be done on one fill, it'll greatly reduce the amount of fees I pay for transactions with my Comdata fuel card and save me a lot of money on my fuel costs as I will now be able to purchase fuel in only the cheapest states to buy fuel. In short I should recoup what I paid to purchase and install these tanks in about a month.

I have decided to buid my next bed in modules that can be transferred to the next truck. The first module is this fuel tank module. The subframe is nearly complete. Just a little more finish welding, paint and then start bolting it on with the tanks.

IMG01633.jpg

IMG01635.jpg

IMG01638.jpg

IMG01641.jpg

Upside down doing finish welding
IMG01643.jpg

pmmjarrett

Subframe is complete and painted. Managed to get one tank completely bolted up too.

Spent $120 on grade 8 hardware to bolt it up. This is the kind of misc. costs that are hidden and blow a project budget. If you want to figure the cost of a project, write down the cost of everything you can think of and add it up....... Now multiply this number by 2 and you might be close.... Multiply by 3 or 4 if you are really bad at planning stuff.

IMG01647.jpg

IMG01649.jpg

IMG01652.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! Those tanks are huge. Are you sure they didn't come from the NASA Surplus Store, once used as solid fuel rocket boosters? :D:D:D Nice job.

Peace
Dave

pmmjarrett

WOW! Those tanks are huge. Are you sure they didn't come from the NASA Surplus Store, once used as solid fuel rocket boosters? :D:D:D Nice job.

Peace
Dave

23" diameter x 89" long....... The frame height of my low profile F800 is only 30" and I can go up to a 36" bed height. I built the 4" subframe for ground clearance. I can use 2" x 2" square tube for the new bed when I get around to building the deck on the sub frame.

They didn't fit in the back of my dually with my 5th wheel. aux tanks and toolbox mounted in the bed
IMG01631.jpg

pmmjarrett

Do you have to run an IFTA card on that truck or are you excempted somehow?

I am exempt. I can take advantage of high fuel capacity and cheaper fuel stops.

Also my truck is light enough to be able to carry the extra 220 gallons / 1600 lbs of fuel beyond what I had. I am light enough I could carry another 100 - 200 gallons before the weight of the fuel would be an issue with the ultralight trailers I carry and tow.

I am under 26000 lbs gross combination and plated for 26000 lbs. At 26001 and up I would need IFTA and apprtioned plates or permits in each state.

pmmjarrett

Second tank is installed and winch is mounted. All that is left is plumb the fuel lines and put the center channel back on the truck.

IMG01660.jpg

IMG01659.jpg

IMG01657.jpg

IMG01655.jpg

IMG01662.jpg

truknutt

Committed Member
They didn't fit in the back of my dually with my 5th wheel. aux tanks and toolbox mounted in the bed
IMG01631.jpg

This pic reminds me of how the Koreans stack propane tanks on the back of their "mopeds" for delivery. Decadent Americans with your bigger tanks and "Bigger" mopeds! :D

pmmjarrett

Hey pmm, was your front bumper bent like that when you were in Goshen during the Rally this June?

Yep. This truck was used for concrete cutting by Penhall before I bought it from them. They musta been stuck good once, the frame horn & bumper mounts are bent on that side and the tow hook was hanging on by one badly bent bolt... the other 2 were sheared off. Been meaning to straighten the bumper a bit but never got around to it.

pmmjarrett

Wonder how far the Dodge will go with those tanks?!:D

Empty about 6600 miles, pulling my 5vr about 4200 miles......... Thats not without using the 135 gallons in factory fuel tank and the aux tank mounted in the bed..... I'll keep that as a reserve.;)