New Transporter Truck

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
CARNAGE!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Not too bad but still a PITA during busy part of RV shipping season.

Had a coolant leak that I had a hail of a time finding. Finally found the trail down the right rear corner of the block and head. Head is at the machine shop now getting pressure checked, cleaned, magnafluxed, resurfaced, valves ground and new valve stem seals.

Found my other oil leak too. Oil was running out of the shut down solenoid shaft on the right side where you can't see chit between the pump and head.

Just ordered new Stage 1 40-60 HP injectors and a #6 fuel plate for the pump too...... Prolly gonna regret the latter but my reason for a #6 is that my 190 hp Cummapart has a CPL of 1551 which is included with the group of 160/175 HP Dodge Ram a 49 state emmissions CPL which should put me around 230 HP and 605 TQ, Ain't trying to get too stupid, just trying to get power close to what my 2004.5 Dually has....... Even though it exceeds the rating of my Allison tranny by about 150 ft lbs of torque.
I don't need the power down low but am waaaaaaay underpowered on the top end, especially when running againt a stiff head wind, I can barely maintain 50 mph then.

Head is at the machine shop now. Passed pressure test and magnafux for cracks and is now being resurfaced, grinding the valves, new valve guides and seals. Should be done tomorrow.... Was supposed to be done today dangit.

Brain Surgery
IMG01513.jpg

Parts
IMG01500.jpg

More parts
IMG01507.jpg

Flipping oil leak on governor...Unreal how much oil that tiny O-rin will let by.
IMG01496.jpg

#6 back of block, water getting out running over to right side then down side of block.
IMG01491.jpg

Gasket is in bad shape at the rear of #6 cylinder
IMG01485.jpg

3 out of 6 injectors were so stuck and carboned up they wouldn't come out with a slide hammer...... You don't wanna know how I got them out but it wasn't very ummmmmmm....... surgical with a BFH and a drift.... 3 patients died on the operating table here.
IMG01499.jpg

nhunter

Yikes that sucks. Hopefully the Ford end is still holding up good, just the goat parts are dieing. Hope it gets back running soon.

jbeletti

Mike,

Reading your thread is as good as any ebook I have every read. I love the picture too :)

Best of luck. I will be on the road Thursday early. Your turn to call me to keep me awake. 502 miles is a lot for me in one day but it is the plan :eek:

Uncle Rog

Wow, any chance the "jefe de pero tres peros" had anything to do with the failure, or just too many miles?

pmmjarrett

Wow, any chance the "jefe de pero tres peros" had anything to do with the failure, or just too many miles?

NOPE!!! Wrong truck.

Only chips you can get on the 12 valve mechanical Cummins in the '98 Ford are made by Frito Lay;)

Update:

New injectors showed up today and the machine shop said the head will be ready for pick up about 9 AM tomorrow. Gotta get a good night sleep tonight and get ready to thrash on it tomorrow and friday. I want it done and ready to roll friday afternoon so I can pack up and depart for Elkhart Sunday

pmmjarrett

Nice talking to you today Jim. Hope your trip went well.

Got the head back from the machine shop this morning. Been thrashing all day and almost have it all buttoned up, should be done around noonish tomorrow if I don't sleep in too late LOL

Making the approach for landing at a steep angle because of the short runway
IMG01515.jpg

Pulling the nose up (ya this is the other side of the truck, too much stuff in the way on the drivers side for a pic)
IMG01518.jpg

Almost there.
IMG01520.jpg

A perfect landing. Going in at an angle like this, I left the head gasket off until I had the head in the right place and angle to avoid damaging it, then lifted the head up a couple inches and slipped the gasket in.
IMG01522.jpg

When torquing down bolts I make a mark with a sharpie on each bolt as I torque them down, one mark for each step, these are on step 2 of 3. Doing it like this you don't miss a bolt and know exactly which step you are on for each bolt. I leaned this one AFTER pooching an small block chebby engine rebuild 20 soem years ago where I missed one rod bolt and the engine threw the rod a couple minutes after I started it for my customer to listen too...... Oh yea, he was impressed.
IMG01527.jpg

Just about done, will finish it tomorrow.
IMG01529.jpg

jbeletti

Looks good Mike (what would I know) :)

Yep - made it to Granite City, IL (STL area). Had dinner with Kenny and Kathy (katkens).

Heading out first thing to push into Sedalia, MO about noon Friday. About the time you'll be firing that beast back up.

Bet of luck.

Jim

nhunter

I learned somethin' new today. Never heard of the sharpie trick, I just thought they were for autographs!

CrazyScotsman

Mike.. I talked to a guy last week that pulls for same company as you. He actually was on a backhaul to TX with a BH 3580. Now why is it I never see you on the road ?
I'll keep looking for ya... Cheers Ken, Hope the truck is working out for ya.

pmmjarrett

Mike.. I talked to a guy last week that pulls for same company as you. He actually was on a backhaul to TX with a BH 3580. Now why is it I never see you on the road ?
I'll keep looking for ya... Cheers Ken, Hope the truck is working out for ya.

Because you spend too much time in truckstops sleeping ??? :confused:None Can't make no money sleeping;).

I have a 15,000 mile a month average.... loaded:D, this truck is rolling, usually NW Canada.

I'm looking into a Freightliner cabover to replace her, prefferably an Argosy, simply breaking too much expensive stuff running an under powered class 6 truck over the road and don't have room or any place to keep anything. Really a PITA to run like this.

Took this 2003 Freightliner Argosy flat floor cabover out for a test drive last week when I was camping up in Sebewaing MI. 430hp C12 CAT, Eaton 10 speed autoshift, air ride everything, no doghouse between the seats, tons of room inside..... NICE!!!!!!!!

Oh Yea, I gotta get me one of these......... With the optional automatic staircase for getting in too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, that fruitcar is "YOU". Even has a 5'er hitch already. Dont know how many TT's you could get on the bed though. Bob:D

nhunter

OK, Im in NW Canada and how come I never see you? I keep lookin at them long transport trucks but I've never seen yours.

pmmjarrett

The bed's deck is rusted out, rest of the truck is cherry. Bed need serious changes and a beavertail for transporting like I do, but the rest of the truck is spot on for what I need. That stinger fifth wheel has to go.

Nhunter, ya gotta be quick to catch me, been to Yellowknife, Red Deer, Balzac and High River so far this year on runs to or through AB

Now for the fun stuff.........

Let the games begin..... Can you guess what I'm doing this time..... HINT, it ain't the tranny.
IMG01590.jpg

Have the whole front of the truck ripped apart again for the 3rd time since March.... I am over this @#$% and quite fed up with it. Tired of chasing oil leaks and don't want to even mess with just replacing the cracked head the machine shop didn't find or fix the first time so I'm swapping in a low mile Reviva Reman longblock engine that was in a bread truck.

I'm replacing both the front and rear main seals as well as having the injection pump timed before I slap it into the truck.

Engine is about 1 hr from coming out of the truck all that is left to do is disconnect the fuel lines, disconnect the starter wiring, remove the throttle cable and take out the last 2 bolts from the tranny.
IMG01593.jpg

IMG01595.jpg

New engine on standby stripped to the longblock waiting for the goodies from the old engine. New Rear main seal already installed.
IMG01598.jpg

pmmjarrett

Engine is out and most parts are now swapped to the new heart of the beast.

Engine out yesterday.
IMG01603.jpg

IMG01604.jpg

Side by side for the parts transplant.
IMG01607.jpg

Can anybody guess what I am doing to the Injection pump here :rolleyes:
IMG01608.jpg

Installing a #6 Torque plate and turbo boost fitting in the Injection pump that should push this little 160 hp 400 TQ engine with a 190 hp injection pump up to about 230 HP and 605 TQ :eek: :D......... It's either gonna run like I want or die trying.
IMG01609.jpg

nhunter

Should have taken the opportunity to stuff a 7.3l in there. 500,000 school buses can't be wrong. Well maybe they can be.