New Transporter Truck

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
IMG01319.jpg

Steeple chase?? You teaching it jump...sit up...can it rollover and play dead?

Inquiring minds wanna know....

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Steeple chase?? You teaching it jump.
No... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:D

Truck is officially done and ready to work. Passed her annual Federal inspection with flying colors. Bonus was the Western Star dealer was running a special for FREE!!! inspections this month so it cost me nothing but a little time. Will finish packing out tomorrow morning and get ready to depart for Wakarusa Indiana.

Had a local sign shop do the vinyl lettering for me.
IMG01338.jpg

Installed aluminum splash/rock guards front and rear of the drive tires.
IMG01341.jpg

IMG01343.jpg

IMG01345-1.jpg

Mounted the tool box and bolted 3/4" plywood to the bottom. Without the wood, the heavy metal, like the weight distributing hitch, will punch holes in the thin aluminum as it bounces around.
IMG01346.jpg

IMG01350.jpg

irvin56

Roll over and play dead

:eek:

That's the last thing you want it to do
Right :D

Look good.
Now just to get the first couple loads picked up delivered.
And then your hard work and mind (take a load off ;))can relax a bit.

HOSS

Looking GOOD!!!!, and yes we gotta see some pictures of it loaded and ready to earn its keep.

Duramax1

11,700 views of your thread!!!! That must be a record. It has been really interesting following the progress of your project. You are a very talented individual and do very good work

jimtoo

11,700 views of your thread!!!! That must be a record. It has been really interesting following the progress of your project. You are a very talented individual and do very good work

I agree with you completely Duramax1, but you need to remember he only has so much head room in the cab. With comments like that,, he will not even be able to get in the door.

But, to be honest, he has done a great job, kept us up todate with good pictures, comments and explanations of what is being done and why.

So, it is with great admiration, that I wish him nothing but the best of luck and continued good business and health.

Jim M

pmmjarrett

I ain't teaching nothing to roll over and play dead.

Thanks all, it's been my pleasure. Will keep things updated a bit and definatly include Y'all on updates to the truck as it evolves. There are things I want to add and some I want to change but for now the bank is tapped and it's time to make it pay it's keep.

I want to try to pop in at the Goshen Rally if possible.

pmmjarrett

I agree with you completely Duramax1, but you need to remember he only has so much head room in the cab. With comments like that,, he will not even be able to get in the door.

But, to be honest, he has done a great job, kept us up todate with good pictures, comments and explanations of what is being done and why.

So, it is with great admiration, that I wish him nothing but the best of luck and continued good business and health.

Jim M

And that old body style regular cab Ford ain't a very big cab either;)

CrazyScotsman

Great work Mike, it was interesting following the progress. I'm like the OP I want to see it loaded and ready to roll. Now don't stay on the road to long I want to see the Dodge getting pimped.
Hope it works out well for you.

Cheers .. Ken

pmmjarrett

Maestro, Drum roll please!!!!!

Finished her maiden voyage to Saint Antonin Quebec with a 19' trailer on the deck and a 24' trailer behind and almost back to Goshen, IN now with a factory return 30' trailer from Ontario in tow. Will pick up two 19' trailers tomorrow or sunday in Goshen In headed for Salt Lake City.

Yep, she has a few "new truck bugs" and a few things I need to change and add too on my "work in progress". Best of all it's getting the job done nicely.

Was averaging 9.5 mpg loaded, havn't been able to get a good check on the empty mileage yet.

Hitch pinned in place
IMG01366.jpg

Tires strapped down
IMG01369.jpg

Stinger extended and hooked up
IMG01371.jpg

My choo choo train.... ya want me to put it where!!!!! Bwaaaahahahaha
IMG01361.jpg

Ready to go
IMG01363.jpg

irvin56

looks good

Nice looking rig and setup.
Just have to watch that right turns.
(Give me 40 acres and I'll turn the beast around:D)

How much weight can the stinger handle?
How did it handle and how did trailer track?
Do you have 2 hitch pins setup to pull 2 small ones on to deck ?

I know ("God, I just started this, don't ask me all the silly questions.:eek:)
Wait for a couple loads:)

pmmjarrett

Nice looking rig and setup.
Just have to watch that right turns.
(Give me 40 acres and I'll turn the beast around:D)

How much weight can the stinger handle?
How did it handle and how did trailer track?
Do you have 2 hitch pins setup to pull 2 small ones on to deck ?

I know ("God, I just started this, don't ask me all the silly questions.:eek:)
Wait for a couple loads:)

Nope, right turns are easy, left turns are the problem on long wheelbase medium duty Fords, it's the way they are built for running city delivery routes. Need to modify the steering to even things out a bit.

Don't know what the stinger can handle but did good w/ about 700 lbs tounge weight on really rough roads.

Trailer tracks straight. With stinger extended the trailer follows the trucks rear tire track pretty good, with stinger in, I need to go a little wider for the trailer to clear curbs.

I only have one ball stand right now, will make a second when I extend the bed.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Maestro, Drum roll please!!!!!

Was averaging 9.5 mpg loaded, havn't been able to get a good check on the empty mileage yet.

My choo choo train.... ya want me to put it where!!!!! Bwaaaahahahaha
IMG01361.jpg

The thing almost looks obscene. Course, it could just be me.:eek:

truknutt

Committed Member
Congrats, good to hear she's gonna pay off for ya. Now for some rookie observer questions if you don't mind...

What is the longest trailer you figure you can load up on the deck and still use the stinger?

Is your stinger hitch height adjustable or is it welded solid (can't tell from the photo and for some strange reason I get the feeling that you seem to like the smell of welding rod in the morning!) I ask 'cause in the Choo Choo shot it looks like the toad is low in front (may be the photo and terrain)?

Most important question (the last one)---How did it feel to sleep in a sleeper bunk as compared to your Dodge's back seat?!

Great job and great to follow the entire process. Thanks for sharing!

jbeletti

Congrats Mike. Hope you made some mad money too!

Only problem I see is those aren't Heartland North Trails :eek:

Glad you got the beast on the road. Hope you do well with it. Can't wait to see 2 Heartland Edges on the bed and 1 in tow!

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice Job Mike! Thanks for the play by play and all the rest. Now git to work. It's that time of year and I hope you have a busy one. Will you be able to stop by and visit us at the rally in Goshen? It would be great to meet you.

pmmjarrett

The thing almost looks obscene. Course, it could just be me.:eek:
It's youNone

Congrats, good to hear she's gonna pay off for ya. Now for some rookie observer questions if you don't mind...

What is the longest trailer you figure you can load up on the deck and still use the stinger?

Is your stinger hitch height adjustable or is it welded solid (can't tell from the photo and for some strange reason I get the feeling that you seem to like the smell of welding rod in the morning!) I ask 'cause in the Choo Choo shot it looks like the toad is low in front (may be the photo and terrain)?

Most important question (the last one)---How did it feel to sleep in a sleeper bunk as compared to your Dodge's back seat?!

Great job and great to follow the entire process. Thanks for sharing!
With stinger extended to max of 4' I can get almost 32' on the deck which is usually a 26 or 27 series trailer

Adjustable up to 4' Toad was actually pretty level

Nice to stretch out and have room to get dressed too.

Congrats Mike. Hope you made some mad money too!

Only problem I see is those aren't Heartland North Trails :eek:

Glad you got the beast on the road. Hope you do well with it. Can't wait to see 2 Heartland Edges on the bed and 1 in tow!

Jim
Me too, wonder what a triple header would pay. Need some mods to get to that point though, but it's coming. Have breifly discussed having two 14 footers on the bed with the boss as it looks like the market is swinging to much smaller and smaller units right now.

Actually spent a bunch taking care of nickel dime problems, still made decent money though, leaving out tomorrow for Salt lake and hopefully a very nice pay day;) Looking like I will see some of that nasty white stuff too about Wyoming

Unfortunatly they are SOB too, couple Crossroads Zingers, stick and tin, love to get some Heatlands, can ya hook a brother up man;)None LOL

Nice Job Mike! Thanks for the play by play and all the rest. Now git to work. It's that time of year and I hope you have a busy one. Will you be able to stop by and visit us at the rally in Goshen? It would be great to meet you.
Thanks Ray, I am going to try my best to make Goshen and hang out a bit for a day. I'd really like to meet some of the fine folks here.