New TT, bathroom unfinished?

select

Ok, just bought a brand new 2011 Trail Runner 27FQBS. Getting ready to go camping this weekend for the first time in it.

In the bathroom, I noticed what seems to be a pretty major oversight. At the top of the shower/tub, the seem between the show/tub material and the wallpaper is unsealed. In fact, in between the screws, there is a definite gap wehre water/condensation could easily go down to rot/mildew.

I feel like the top edge of the shower/bath should have been sealed somehow, with either an edge piece, like there is on the front edge, or some sort of silicon or something.

I'm not sure what to do. And suggestions would be welcome.

jimtoo

Hi select,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hopefully someone will come in and give their opinion soon. I did go and check my Big Horn and it is not sealed around the top at the wall. I guess I really never thought about it because I don't splash the water that high and have never noticed any condensation on the walls above the shower.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

I did move the thread to proper area.

select

I don't really understand that, TBH. I mean, regardless of how high the water splashes when you take a shower, water is absolutely certain to get between the shower and the wall sooner or later, either through splashing or through condensation.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
select, you are right.....kinda. Ours is not sealed along the top either. If your splashing that high, move the party outside. As far as the condensation goes, avoid prolonged use of hot water using the shut off valve and be sure to have the ventilation fan on. We don't even steam up the mirrors.

Peace
Dave

select

select, you are right.....kinda. Ours is not sealed along the top either. If your splashing that high, move the party outside. As far as the condensation goes, avoid prolonged use of hot water using the shut off valve and be sure to have the ventilation fan on. We don't even steam up the mirrors.

Peace
Dave

I hear what you're saying, but I'm a short man, and my head is as high as that seam. With as small as that shower is, I don't see how yo can wash your hair and NOT potentially splash that high. Even with low pressure, the water bouncing off of my head is certain to hit that wall above the seam. And I don't know about you, but I love a nice hot shower in the morning.

It seems like that's an awfully strange oversight. I mean, the number one problem with trailers seems to be water damage, from both inside and out. I would have thought that a manufacturer would have easily added a trim piece there or at least some caulking or something that would keep the water out.

Does anyone know if that's the 'official heartland stance'? Just don't splash too much and keep the hot showers short?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
select, you may be right. There may be a piece of trim missing. You should get a few replies from fellow Trail Runner owners soon. The replies so far have been from owners of Bighorns and have Fiberglass 1 piece shower enclosures. What material is in the Trial Runner? Your best bet is to bring your isssues to your dealers attention.

WG894

If it bothers you that much then do what my buddy did(and many other people I'm sure)when he had this same problem upon purchasing his new TT a month ago(assuming of course that a part isn't actually missing)...go to your local hardware store and spend the $8 on a tube of the appropiate sealant and then fix the problem yourself.It's a quick,inexpensive fix,and is really easy to do.I'm not sure what you are looking for people to tell you on here when your only 3 options are to fix it yourself,take it back to where you bought it from and have them fix it,or just live with it.The popular opinion in here is for you just to live with it but it sounds like that doesn't sit well with you so I guess that really only leaves you with 2 options.Correct?

Furthermore,after my buddy called his salesman to report this problem he advised the salesman that he was going to fix the problem himself.The salesman politely apologized for the problem and said that he would "take care" of him the next time he came in.Well,2 weeks ago in preparation for his first camping trip my buddy realized that he needed a few trailer accessories so he went to the accessories store located at the dealer where he bought the trailer from and upon talking to his salesman he was given a $75 certificate for the store.My buddy was quite pleased as a result because instead of a $150 bill it was only $75!

silverhawk

We just picked up our new Elk Ridge and during the PDI we also noticed that there was no sealant around the shower stall. The ER has the one piece fiberglass shower enclosure. My wife was concerned that water might get in between the enclosure and the wall so we mentioned it to our Dealer and he had it sealed/caulked before we picked it up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just checked the stall in our BH. There is a moulding cap that runs along the top of the shower wall. Can't tell if there is any silicone behind it, but it is tight to the wall.

select

...I'm not sure what you are looking for people to tell you on here when your only 3 options are to fix it yourself,take it back to where you bought it from and have them fix it,or just live with it.The popular opinion in here is for you just to live with it but it sounds like that doesn't sit well with you so I guess that really only leaves you with 2 options.Correct?
I was asking to see if other trail runner owners have a trim piece that I am missing. it seems like there's a piece missing.

And if there's not a piece missing, if that's just how it's designed, then I wanted to provide feedback for the manufacturer and give them an opportunity to correct and obvious oversight. I've got a brand new 2011 trailer, so I figured it's possible that this oversight hasn't been reported yet.

select

Select,

Please contact your dealer or Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032).

Jim

I called the number you provided, and they said there's supposed to be a piece of 3m tape at the top that would serve to both keep there from being a gap and to keep water out. I just too a look at the trailer, and there's definitely no 3m tape there, so I guess it was forgotten.

I'm a bit skeptical about how effective 3m tape will be in resiting water, but I'll take it in to the dealer, and let them add the tape, and withhold judgement until then.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
my 2cts. Unless your dealer is very close to you...I would get some silicone and seal it myself. 3M makes some pretty good tape....but. An $8.00 tube of sealer verses $50.00 of fuel and your time. Would be a no brainer for me.

I called the number you provided, and they said there's supposed to be a piece of 3m tape at the top that would serve to both keep there from being a gap and to keep water out. I just too a look at the trailer, and there's definitely no 3m tape there, so I guess it was forgotten.

I'm a bit skeptical about how effective 3m tape will be in resiting water, but I'll take it in to the dealer, and let them add the tape, and withhold judgement until then.

select,

If you are handy and confident you can do it, call Heartland back and ask that they send you the tape to install. Save you a trip.

Jim

select

my 2cts. Unless your dealer is very close to you...I would get some silicone and seal it myself. 3M makes some pretty good tape....but. An $8.00 tube of sealer verses $50.00 of fuel and your time. Would be a no brainer for me.

With the gap as wide as it is (1/4 to 1/2 an inch), and the fact that the shower wall is very thin and moves very easily, I'm not sure silicon would make a very good seal. Or if id did make a seal it would be easily broken.

Also In order for the tape to be effective, I fell like I'm going to need to remove the screws/grommets from the top of the shower wall. I'm sure I would do that without any problems, now that I know that that's what the factory recommends.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I see your delema. Not having seen what your up against, your probably correct in your observation. Not knowing what the tape looks like...I guess you need to see it first.

I have a thought about how to fix it if the tape does not work. Let us know what happens.