Newbie looking for help on Brand

LDMC

I don't wantt to start a brand war here, I know all brands have there issues.

I'm making the move from a tag to a 5ver. Two brands keep coming to the top of my list, the Keystone Montana and Heartland Big Horn/Big Country.

The floor models, weights and features are close to the same.

I'm looking for your honest reason you chose Heartland over another brand.

Is there a feature that help you make your decision?

Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When we first looked at 5th wheel trailers, Montana Cedar Creek and Heartland Bighorn were at the top of the list.
Once we established the top three we looked closer at each one. Based on our wants, Bighorn came out on top.
We purchased our second Bighorn based on the great experience we had with the first one.
If we purchase a third RV it will be another Heartland product.
So, not only do we have a great RV, we have this great forum made up of a lot of helpful friendly people and we have the Heartland Owners Club.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

HI IDMC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The quality of the folks on the forum and the quality of the service from the factory is outstanding. All units will probably have a few problems, but the Heartland line is the best for us.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Gary521

Revisit both brands and check out the fit and finish, then check out the standard features then the options. This is how we chose Bighorn over Montana.

happykraut

My current rig is a Heartland previous to this one it was Heartland the two rigs before that were Montanas. Too many issues on the last Montana.. Absolutely love my Bighorn.

dbbls59

One can get lemons in any brand. Choose the one your wife likes the best and you will be happier.

LDMC

please keep the input coming, this is good information. I"m putting together a list of the Pros and cons of the two. Two things that are being brought up from both dealers is the insulation, block vs fiberglass batten and the Dexter axles. So I'm trying to do some research on these items as well.

And yes the one that makes DW happy.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have looked at many fifth wheels over the years. We are currently on our second Heartland product. If we had the chance to do it again we would purchase another Heartland product. In our case we would probably downsize. One of the many factors in our decision would be this forum. We have an abundant amount of experienced owners here. We also have factory participation. You won't see that on any other forum. Another reason is Heartland's commitment to their customers. They get it, keep your customers happy, provide a lot of value for your dollar. One of the bigger reason for us is the Heartland Owner's Club (HOC) and the rallies. We have met so many wonderful people over the years and run into some of them here and there. It is a pretty neat feeling when you see that Heartland rig pulling into the campground and the first thing you do is look for the plaque to see if they are members. You live in Michigan so if you do purchase a Heartland product make sure you join the club and then look for our National Rally in Goshen for 2015. If you are lucky enough to have time to come to the rally you'll understand everything I just typed. Safe travels.

BTW, I hope that whichever brand/model you purchase you have a great experience with your dealer. Do your homework and do not let the dealer push you out the door after the sale. Be diligent and ask many questions.

SeattleLion

I think there may be a bit of a gap in the comparison. Keystone considers the Montana line to be mid-range. Heartland puts the Bighorn in the luxury group. My neighbor has had his Montana for over a decade and loves it. We bought our Bighorn this spring. It has 26 problems that the dealer will correct in a week or so. None are serious enough to waste any summer time getting them fixed.

From what I have seen, both trailers use quality components and both have the same poor quality control. The biggest difference to me is that the Bighorn has a great customer service organization behind it. For example, I sent my punch list to my dealer's service manager and to Heartland customer service. Unlike anyone else in the industry, Heartland called the dealer to assure they understood what they needed to do to satisfy the problems and to make sure the correct parts were ordered. Who else does that?

If everything else is equal, I would choose the brand with the best post-purchase support. The real pain with any trailer is what you have to go through after you take delivery to get things right. Heartland is amazing at this and fortunately, so is my dealer.

Miltp920

We have owned two Montanas, our last one we bought new. We now own a new Heartland Cyclone. We were looking for a luxury toy hauler. The cyclone to us had the best luxury look. We loved our montana, but I would put the quality about the same - cyclone being a bit better, nicer countertops, stainless steel appliances, vessel sink in bath. I have been in a big country, and I was impressed. I did not know about this site when I bought, but this site and the free advice given has been valuable. We have had our 5th wheel a year. Heartland has fixed every issue we brought to them. This may be more-our dealer, but I think they had to get Heartland to approve each item.
I wish it had come with better tires, but I upgraded them, and that issue is history. My best advice, know your tow vehicle is capable of hauling the 5th wheel you want BEFORE you buy the one you do not already have. These 5th wheels are heavy!

LDMC

Ok, I was talking to one of the Major dealers in the Michigan area and they told me that they stopped carrying Heartland do to Warranty issues and lack of support. Also, Heartland products start to delaminate around the 4-5 year mark. Any input on this would be great part of this thread.

Appreciate all of your views and I'm talking it all in for my knowledge base.

SeattleLion

If you are talking about Bighorn, my guess would be that either the dealer or Heartland decided not to continue with that dealer carrying the products. Bighorn and Landmark, in particular, have a very limited dealer network. Heartland's strategy was to make fewer units and have less dealers. This reduced price slashing (too bad!) and offers more control to Heartland. Do a search on the forum for delamination for the model you want to consider. Pay particular attention to more recent posts.

danemayer

Ok, I was talking to one of the Major dealers in the Michigan area and they told me that they stopped carrying Heartland do to Warranty issues and lack of support. Also, Heartland products start to delaminate around the 4-5 year mark. Any input on this would be great part of this thread.

Appreciate all of your views and I'm talking it all in for my knowledge base.
Unfortunately, sales people on commission will tell you whatever they think will help them make the sale. If you want something they don't have, they'll give you a reason to buy the something they do have. Sounds like that's what they've done with you.

wwenstad1

I have the heartland bighorn 3010RE. We traded our 2009 wyoming for it. It was best decision ever. Go with bighorn, it's a great well made product.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know my dealer doesn't carry HL anymore. Their claim was similar... But based on my experience with this dealer's complete disorganization and lack of professionalism in the parts and service dept., I am sure they were the source of the problems, not HL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk