Nice enough - but tough to fill water tank

MTPockets

We stayed four nights at McPhee Recreation Complex near Cortez, CO. Sites have Electric only, no water hookups so we needed to fill our tank. There were plenty of water spigots around, plus fresh water access at the dump station, but all the spigots were plain end. No Way to connect the threaded water hose. We stopped at the host site and they said they get a lot of complaints about this but the park will not change it. The Host let us use his hose, but we needed 100 ft of hose to fill our tank but we were OK.... Anywhere else do this.... I can't figure out the Why? Neither could the camp host....

MTPockets

Water thief.. I have been trying to find this but didn't know what it was called. Searched go adapters, hose, connectors, etc. This is a big help.... You are a wealth of information.

Nason40

I, too, have stayed at McPhee and filled up at the host's site. Thought it was a great bargain while visiting Mesa Verde. I have noticed that many NFS CGs in the west make it hard for you to fill your tank. I think it is because water is in short supply in many areas. Rangers tell me big rigs filling up can seriously drop the water pressure in these CG's
I try not to take any more water than I think I will need in these areas. I, too, have a water thief.

wdk450

I have stayed at several Corps of Engineers lakes out here in the West that have communal water spigots (with hose threads), but are relatively far from the RV sites. It pays to carry a long water hose with you for such situations. A 50 footer was just long enough for me in Porterville, Ca.

priorguy

I remember going to New York state park a few years back. I read ahead about the water spiggots. My wife thought i was silly stopping before we got to our site to fill the tank until i explained it several times. My friend that met us there late at night forgot. I had 75' of hose to add to his 25' and another several lengths from other rvers nearby. Rvers really are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I run into those no-thread faucets a lot here in Colorado. I bought two water jugs with wheels for when I need to add water, but that Water Thief thingy looks like just the tool. I have 200 feet of hose that I carry with us, so I guess I'll have to stop at Camping World in Loveland on our way to Poudre Canyon tomorrow night and pick one up! :cool: