Norcold 2118xss model 18 cu.ft. Issues

SPARKY65

Has anyone had problems with their lp/elec. refrigerator by Norcold. At the dealer we didn't have side compartment holders on the doors. Also there are many things missing from the bottom refrigerator doors. It doesn't even have a gasket, and not lined up . I close the two doors and I see right into the fridge! I can put 2 pencils in the space. Do not know if it is a dealer issue, Heartland or Norcold. Any opinions or advice...What a 2 day shake down of the fifth-wheel.....

CDN

B and B
Hello. I have the same fridge and it arrived complete. Could you please take a photo of your gasket issue so we all know what to look for.

danemayer

I close the two doors and I see right into the fridge! I can put 2 pencils in the space. .

Dometic fridges have a flap on the left hand door that rotates into position when the door is closed, sealing the gap between the doors. Norcold probably has something similar. If the flap is sticking in the open position, there would be a large gap between the doors.

The refrigerator won't work properly if there's any air gap.

Hogladyrider

Has anyone had problems with their lp/elec. refrigerator by Norcold. At the dealer we didn't have side compartment holders on the doors. Also there are many things missing from the bottom refrigerator doors. It doesn't even have a gasket, and not lined up . I close the two doors and I see right into the fridge! I can put 2 pencils in the space. Do not know if it is a dealer issue, Heartland or Norcold. Any opinions or advice...What a 2 day shake down of the fifth-wheel.....

We have this refrig in our 2017 Cyclone and had a similar situation. We repaired it ourselves. This was not something we discovered during our shakedown, but after we were on the road.

IMO poor QC at the factory.

Susan & Gary

Gary521

I had the same problem with the center flap not closing. It was dragging on the bottom. I also fixed it myself. This can be accomplished by adding nylon washers to the bottom hinge on the large door. This can be done in about 15 minutes. One thing that you can try is to remove the American flag label off the bottom of the fridge. The flap drags on this.
Yes, the dealer can do this as part of the warranty work, if you have other things being done. For me, it was easier to fix it myself.

SLO

The same thing happened to me on my 2118. The pivoting seal between the two refrigerator doors was missing. Making the refrigerator unusable. A couple of door shelves were missing. The right freezer door was a left door turned upside down, which meant the tabs to hold the door shelf were upside down as well. Needed new pivoting seal, freezer door and a couple of door shelves ordered. Luckily caught it during my extensive pdi that I did on my own before delivery. Good thing is, refrigerator has worked perfect since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SPARKY65

Hello. I have the same fridge and it arrived complete. Could you please take a photo of your gasket issue so we all know what to look for.
Below are 6 attachments I hope this helps you. I have a pic of the bad parts and then of how they are suppose to look. I have been at the dealers all day trying to find a solution.
Hopefully Norcold will deliver with in 5 days the RIGHT parts....One can hope
This QC was missed by Norcold, Heartland, my Dealership, their prep inspector and myself!.

Attachments

• DOORS NOT EVEN PIN SLANTED AND THE COCKEYED PART.jpg
    DOORS NOT EVEN PIN SLANTED AND THE COCKEYED PART.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 125
  • NO GASKET CAN SEE INTO FRIDGE WHEN DOORS CLOSED - Copy.jpg
    NO GASKET CAN SEE INTO FRIDGE WHEN DOORS CLOSED - Copy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 109
  • MISSING FLAPPER IN OR RV.jpg
    MISSING FLAPPER IN OR RV.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 104
  • CLOSE UP OF COCKEYED PART.jpg
    CLOSE UP OF COCKEYED PART.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 105
  • HOW DOOR IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE A FLAPPER GASKET FOR SEALING.jpg
    HOW DOOR IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE A FLAPPER GASKET FOR SEALING.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 108
  • HOW THE PART IS SUPPOSE TO LOOK NOT COCKEYED.jpg
    HOW THE PART IS SUPPOSE TO LOOK NOT COCKEYED.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 94

SNOKING

I had the same problem with the center flap not closing. It was dragging on the bottom. I also fixed it myself. This can be accomplished by adding nylon washers to the bottom hinge on the large door. This can be done in about 15 minutes. One thing that you can try is to remove the American flag label off the bottom of the fridge. The flap drags on this.
Yes, the dealer can do this as part of the warranty work, if you have other things being done. For me, it was easier to fix it myself.

Do you have any guidance on removing the plastic around the top hing area of the left large door?

On edit: Never mind, I got the plastic hinge cover popped off. Just have to dig out a nylon washer and get the tools lined up.

Done!!! Took longer to round up tools than doing the mod.

Thanks Chris

Bern

We have a 2018 Big Horn and have several problems with our 18 cf Norcold. The first time we turned on the frig it didn't cool at all after 24 hrs. My husband went into the outside refrigerator vent cover and discovered the sensor was broke in half and all the coils were bent. He did a temporary fix on the sensor so we would be able to go camping that weekend. Frig temp was somewhere between 40-60 degrees on a 60 degree weekend. Took it back to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong ( later we found out they were looking in frig not outside vent). Went camping again and frig still wasn't working. Noticed scratches on opposite frig and freezer doors, center door flap didn't close, scrapes on inside of doors, puncture marks on floor in front of frig and doors wouldn't seal tight causing alarms to go off. Took back in again and dealer told us that doors don't seal good in camper frigs , they aren't going to be good as a home frig and we should buy a frig lock!
This is our first time on the forum, we have several other problems with the camper and the dealer keeps telling us it's a camper it isn't going to be like your home. Has anyone had luck going directly to Heartland?

danemayer

Has anyone had luck going directly to Heartland?

Yes, most everyone has. You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

It sounds like your dealer installed a damaged refrigerator in your unit, probably to fix someone else's problem. They are probably trying to talk you out of fixing the problem because they know Norcold isn't going to cover that type of damage under warranty as it's not a manufacturing defect.

Heartland should be able to talk to the dealer for you.

carl.swoyer

We have a 2018 Big Horn and have several problems with our 18 cf Norcold. The first time we turned on the frig it didn't cool at all after 24 hrs. My husband went into the outside refrigerator vent cover and discovered the sensor was broke in half and all the coils were bent. He did a temporary fix on the sensor so we would be able to go camping that weekend. Frig temp was somewhere between 40-60 degrees on a 60 degree weekend. Took it back to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong ( later we found out they were looking in frig not outside vent). Went camping again and frig still wasn't working. Noticed scratches on opposite frig and freezer doors, center door flap didn't close, scrapes on inside of doors, puncture marks on floor in front of frig and doors wouldn't seal tight causing alarms to go off. Took back in again and dealer told us that doors don't seal good in camper frigs , they aren't going to be good as a home frig and we should buy a frig lock!
This is our first time on the forum, we have several other problems with the camper and the dealer keeps telling us it's a camper it isn't going to be like your home. Has anyone had luck going directly to Heartland?
Door seals,on my 2012 Landmark Rushmore Norcold sent plastic shims which are placed in/ under the seal. When loading up the fridge make sure everything is cold before loading otherwise it will take a long time to cool. Set your frig on 9 the coldest setting. Once things settle in temperature you can return to 5 or 6. My first Norcold failed and it was replaced in Warranty. Next failure I'll install a residential frig.
As far as dealing with a dealer who's trying to give you the run around, I'd speak with Heartland customer service and ask them to influence the dealer to fix or replace it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mayflower

Our new 2018 Bighorn's Norcold refrigerator also has a missing flap that seals the doors so cold air won't leak out. Also, a missing right-hand cover for the door hinge, and the threads on the door handle are broken, so the door latch is loose, missing about 4 of the inside doors storage bins. AND, the inside of the frig was filthy when we got it home. Dirt plaster on the walls and inside doors. Looked like it came from the junk yard.

jbeletti

Our new 2018 Bighorn's Norcold refrigerator also has a missing flap that seals the doors so cold air won't leak out. Also, a missing right-hand cover for the door hinge, and the threads on the door handle are broken, so the door latch is loose, missing about 4 of the inside doors storage bins. AND, the inside of the frig was filthy when we got it home. Dirt plaster on the walls and inside doors. Looked like it came from the junk yard.

Are you working with your dealer or Heartland directly on this? I assume you're still within your 1-year warranty?

Consider calling Heartland on Monday at 877-262-8032 to have a discussion with them on the condition of your refrigerator. Be prepared to email them pictures (service@heartlandrvs.com). Include your VIN and contact info with any correspondence.

SNOKING

No PDI inspections?

mayflower

No PDI inspections?
Yes, we had a rather hurried PDI.. but didn't spend any time talking about the refrigerator. Only discovered all the problems, the first time we took it out. It was a very short trip. We've called Heartland and are waiting for Robert to call back. Thanks for your reply, Snoking.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you working with your dealer or Heartland directly on this? I assume you're still within your 1-year warranty?

Consider calling Heartland on Monday at 877-262-8032 to have a discussion with them on the condition of your refrigerator. Be prepared to email them pictures (service@heartlandrvs.com). Include your VIN and contact info with any correspondence.
Thank you Jim. We called Heartland today. So hopefully they will make it right. Bought the Bighorn last month.

SNOKING

Note to Norcold 2118 owners: Many have had problems with the center flap not closing right. The flap drags on the bottom of the frig, and a sticker there does not help. The solution is to put a spacer(Nylon washer works) on the bottom left hand door hinge to raise the door slightly. You remove term piece, remove the top hinge, lift the door off, put the washer on the hinge pin and reassemble. Chris

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Note to Norcold 2118 owners: Many have had problems with the center flap not closing right. The flap drags on the bottom of the frig, and a sticker there does not help. The solution is to put a spacer(Nylon washer works) on the bottom left hand door hinge to raise the door slightly. You remove term piece, remove the top hinge, lift the door off, put the washer on the hinge pin and reassemble. Chris

Yep. We ended up having to do this too. Easy peasy.
I blame it on the amount of goods (weight) that will fit in the doors. The bottom trays in both doors will hold gallon size jugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk