Normal noises?

jrzygrl64

Bill and I have a 2014 Landmark Grand Canyon that we have lived in full-time since Aug 2014.

Near the area of the landing gear/under the bedroom floor mostly on the door side - there is a creaky/popping sound. It isn't constant - mostly when we walk around - we think it is due to the cooling off/warming up of the rig but can't be sure. I can say we didn't notice it as much when we were in the Keys, but are noticing it more now that there are larger day/night temp changes again. It has done this since we got the rig and we thought it was normal, but we had friends over tonight and they heard it and asked about it. They own SOB and theirs doesn't do it.

Guess i should say everything works fine with the landing gear as well as everything else. We are totally happy with our choice of rig.

Hope someone can help solve this mystery. Thanks in advance!

Kelly

danemayer

Hi Kelly,

If it's a popping noise from the landing gear, Lippert has a LIP Sheet, here, describing the problem and a fix. Many people have had success with this; a few have not.

I've moved the thread to a better area.

jrzygrl64

Thank you for your quick reply and potential solution.

If it is the hydraulic system - has it been damaged since its been doing this since we got the rig? Is there a way to tell?

Thanks again!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It causes no damage...our Bighorn did it years with no problem, other than annoyance. Our Landmark does it very infrequently....

danemayer

A lot of people had noise for an extended period (years) before the LIP sheet came out. No posts about the noise having caused damage.

Hunter11

Kelly, our front landing gear does pop even after the supposed Lippert fix and ours does jerk the trailer when it does pop. So far it has cracked one of our dual pane windows (wife was sitting next it when it happened). We are going to have to take ours to a dealer for many warranty issues in a couple of weeks and on the list is replacing the front jacks and the broken window.

jjriker

Our landing gear has made the popping noise occasionally since we have had our rig. We did the "fix" about a year and a half ago but it still does it once in a while. We notice that it happens more often when there is a quick decrease in temperature, and if we put the landing gear directly on concrete. Most of the time we put wood cribbing that Harry made under the legs and that seems to help a lot.

danemayer

Kelly, our front landing gear does pop even after the supposed Lippert fix and ours does jerk the trailer when it does pop. So far it has cracked one of our dual pane windows (wife was sitting next it when it happened). We are going to have to take ours to a dealer for many warranty issues in a couple of weeks and on the list is replacing the front jacks and the broken window.

In my experience, how you describe a problem to the service writer is critically important. If you say it's "popping" or that it's "noisy", the service tech may end up listening for a noise problem, or may just apply the Lippert fix for noisy landing gear. Unless the jerking problem is really obvious, I'd suggest you focus your complaint on that part of the issue, and maybe mention that it's also noisy.

Hunter11

I have told Heartland, Lippert (LCI) and the Dealer (Camper Clinic) about the noise and the jerking movement. They are all aware the Lippert fix has been tried with little to no help and that may be the reason Lippert decided to send front jacks. The movement has me and maybe them more worried than the noise right now. All of the players in this issue have been in contact with each other and they feel like the issue is with the front legs thus the replacement. I guess we will see.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I had the loud and very unsettling popping noise on the hydraulic jacks when we first got our Landmark when it was new. It seemed to do it the worst or most pronounced when it was warm during the day but got real cold at night (vast and rapid temperature changes). My dealer removed 2 quarts of the hydraulic oil and then replaced it with the stuff Lippert told them to replace it with and we have not had a popping noise since. I am confident that when you do the hydraulic oil additive that Lippert recommends for the fix that it will take care of it for you.

Rod Ditrich

DougS

Doug S
Kelly, I have greatly reduced the "popping" sound by using plastic pads with a waffle texture on one side and a piece of plywood the size of the plastic pad. The plastic pad with the waffle side up cuts the friction down when the leg want to slightly move after auto level. The plywood under the plastic pad is only there to help protect and prolong the life of the plastic pad. This method works for our rig, I have yet to add the fluid. I have used this method for the last three years.

danemayer

I think part of the problem also has to do with how far the jacks are extended. The shorter the extension, the less movement. With blocks under the front jacks, the rig is more stable and noise less likely.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have done the Lippert "fix" and it helped but did not eliminate the popping. It pops regardless of how far it is extended, the temperature and whether or not it is on boards, plastic, dirt, asphalt or concrete. We have just learned to deal with it since Lippert has not be able to come up with a permanent solution.

Hunter11

I have 2 - 2X12 treated wood blocks screwed together under each jack leg with a rubber jack pad on top of them for the jacks to land on. Our site is level and all of the jacks are only extended 6" at the most. I do agree that the less the jacks are extended the better things will be but in our case it makes no difference.

We have just learned to deal with it since Lippert has not be able to come up with a permanent solution.

We would probably do the same thing if ours was not moving when it makes the noise. The popping noise would be minor compared to some of our other issues.

jrzygrl64

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will pass along all info to Bill and let him decide what he wants to do!

As usual - you all are awesome!

The "popping" has steadily gotten worse in our 2015 Bighorn. I did the "fix", using Caterpillar 1U-9891 anti stiction fluid, about a month ago. Still the same problem. I re-leveled the trailer today to find the front had dropped 1 inch of travel during the month. My Heartland rep emailed today to say a rep from Lippert was going to call. I hope there is a fix for this because this constant popping and movement has me at my wits end. It almost seems like a valve is by-passing, because there is no evidence of a fluid leak. Is anyone concerned with the use of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) rather than regular 32 weight hydraulic fluid? I am trying to find out if Caterpillar even ok's the use of their product with ATF.

caissiel

We had the most advanced hydraulic press in the industry and if we did not do a complete rebuild of all seals and o-rings every 5 years we had lots of problems with leakage at the valve units. Now a Micky Mouse set up on our RVs cannot be trusted to last any time under constant load.
Though my hydraulic slide hydraulics lasted 15 years, I would never have hydraulic jacks on my unit. To much to maintain. Its my opinion after maintaining million$ units for 32 years.

donr827

After the length of time this problem has been reported you would think that Lippert would know what the problem is. This should not happen with proper design and build. Maybe they know the answer but do not want to release the information $$$$$.
Don

porthole

Retired
Maybe the answer will be to use the same jacks used on DRV's.
Before it was Lippert product, 5th wheel hydraulic leveling was designed for the DRV Mobile Suites. They use steel jacks. They are heavy trailers and a Google search turns up no complaints of popping. Although the DRV forum has been offline for awhile now.
Maybe now that they went from the private company to corporate bean counter world, they will get the less expensive aluminum jacks and exhibit the same popping. Which would then confirm a material used issue.