Normal???

Our new rig is currently in for service and has been there for almost 3 weeks. We picked it up the end of February. There is almost no air coming from the rear vent in the living room area - not enough to blow out a match. The local dealership called Heartland and their response was - that's normal. Really? They also called about same problem with a Big Country with the same amount coming out of the bedroom vent - same response, "That's normal." Really? We have plenty of heat coming out the bathroom and bedroom vents. We also have a faulty AC in the bedroom and are waiting to see if we get a new part or a new unit. Hey folks, this is a new unit with a number of pretty large problems. We had to insulate the door of the 4-door fridge ourselves. We were also told - that's normal. They say play in the door is satisfactory. Hmmm - don't really like melted ice cream. Other problem examples: cupboard units across rear are not lined up, cupboard doors don't line up, two dining table chairs have broken - no we don't weigh 500 lbs. There's more and I'm sorry really doesn't help. Heartland's response hasn't really been very satisfactory. How's your experience?

GOTTOYS

Maybe you should call Heartland and hear first hand what their replies are...I lined up my cupboard doors by adjusting the small screws on the hinges. Now they line up perfectly. Why can't your dealer figure that out? The screws are there for that purpose...My dealer isn't so hot, but my experience with Heartland has been great. Don

tmcran

Sorry to hear about your problems I know it is frustrating. Our 09 Sundance was in for repairers and etc for about 5-6 weeks the first 3 months we had it. However, the dealer and HL finally got most of the things worked out. Have you called HL customer service yourself. If not please do so and have your Vin #. The problems you mentioned are not normal . There are several threads on here about how to improve A/C flow. Do you have the LR down vent open all the way? If so that will cut down on air flow to the other vents.I'm sure more knowledgeable folks can help ya.

danemayer

Hi Karen,

If you're talking about floor vents, we also have uneven airflow. Best airflow is in the bathroom, then the bedroom, then the stairs, and progressively less as you go back. We do get some air out the very rear vent, but not a lot. Before next winter, I'm planning to change out the bathroom floor vent for one that's adjustable which I think might even out the flow.

Lots of people have experienced problems with the Dometic RM1350. There are many threads on the forum discussing problems. Recent threads have mentioned a sticky seal pivot on the left door; the panel doesn't go into place to seal across the doors. There's also a recent thread about Dometic releasing some type of change involving dealer installation of extra vents on the back. Ours cools well so far, but I watch it closely to make sure the doors don't stay open very long and that they close completely.

The hidden hinges on the kitchen and bathroom cabinets are adjustable - Heartland replaced 2 of our doors which I installed to save a trip to the dealer. I've not looked, but the rear cupboards are probably the same and could be adjusted by your dealer.

We've had more problems than expected, but the Dealer, Heartland, and the vendors involved have all supported necessary repairs.

branson4020

Icantre Member
The plastic ductwork to my living room vent was almost completely sliced through. It had also pretty much fallen off the bottom of the floor vent because the hose clamp holding it on had never been tightened. When I removed the floor grate and pulled up on the duct to reconnect it, I discovered that about a foot below the connection it had been cut during installation. Once I repaired it with duct tape, the air flow increased dramatically.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Just a thought. To increase air flow look for older threads and posts about the "tent in the vent". That modification improved our flow dramatically and has been around since 2009, I believe. Anyone technical please explain.

Good luck to you. Most Heartland RV's, just like other manufacturers have some initial problems, but usually their customer service is first class. Know this little secret, if u aren't happy with your servicing dealer, find an HL approved repair shop to bring your baby up to your expectations. Just remember, if you are on the road when u experience trouble, HL customer service can quickly find someone to solve your problems, especially if your rig is still under warranty.

danemayer

Gary & Karen,

If you're talking about A/C airflow, I just looked at our Rushmore and found that the main A/C vent over the kitchen island has adjustable louvers. They can be closed to force the air to the other ceiling vents for a more distributed cooling airflow. Wish I'd noticed that last week on the Gulf Coast. It was 90 and I had to set the thermostat about 3 degrees lower than what I'd normally do to get better cooling while sitting in the recliner. That left the kitchen colder than necessary and ran up a larger electric bill than we needed to.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Right HERE is a link to JB's version of the tent in a vent. Scroll down to post #44.

Peace
Dave

kkamshop

If you are referring to the floor vents, we covered the bathroom and bedroom vents with magnetic register covers - easy to adjust the right amount of air flow in those rooms.

It is possible that the flexible ductwork to the living room vent has come loose somewhere in the underbelly area, but the only way to know is to open it up to see, unless you can get someone with a flexible camera setup to take a peek.

We bought closeable vents today so we'll try them when we get the RV back. Somewhere we thought we read that closing vents inhibited the overall air flow but anything is worth a try.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, I did the "tent in vent" mod and it really improved the air flow to the bedroom. Our coach only has 1 A/C vent on the left side in the LR. Has 2 on the right (door) side. I am going to install 1 or 2 more on the left side. Yes, your right about restricting air flow... it can. I added extra tubing to the underbelly heating duct and it really increased the heater vent airflow. Long story but really worth the work.

Wharton

If you pull the vents out of the ceiling and block the hole on the far side from the AC you get a lot more air flow.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did that also with 2" hard foam and the GOOD duct tape. I sealed all the A/C ducts to the ceiling so as not to lose air flow into the ceiling. Just for grins and giggles....remove the A/C grill on the unit and seal anyplace that looks like it leaks air onto the roof and ceiling.