Odd California Drivers License Question

Ladiver

I just placed an order for a new 3100, our first trailer. I have about 7-8 weeks before I get it. I need to decide if I get a new drivers license or what.

I am in California and they require a fifth-wheel endorsement for any 5er up to 15K GVWR. Anything over 15K requires a noncommercial Class A.

The 3100 looks to have a GVWR 15,500. My big question...is anyone in CA actually using a noncomercial Class A or CDL? What is the punishment if I don't have it? What about "re-stickering" to show a GVWR of 15,000? Is that even possible?

I will not be hauling toys, so I doubt I will ever get to the 15,500 anyway. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
PS Sorry for all of the questions. Hopefully after I actually get the TH and use it a few times, I can provide feedback to others in my current situation.

JanAndBill

Re: Odd Drivers License Question

Not sure about California regulations, but typically if it's based on the weight then it goes by the manufactuers weight regardless of if you've loaded it to the max or not.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Most full size rigs are in the neighborhood of the weight you stated.
Hardly anyone I know has a 5th wheel endorsement and even fewer have a class A license.
Stay safe. Trace

wino2

Just spoke with DMV very few people have applied for that license. He also stated chances are local law enforcement is not aware of this. Just some nut job in Sacramento trying to make it difficult on all of us.

scottyb

Texas also requires a different license, but as described about CA, most of the LEO's are unaware of it. Texas and many other states are pretty close in their interpretation. RV's are exempt from CDL requirements, but not from weight requirements. Over 26,000 GVWR or CGWR requires a Class B operator. If the trailer being towed is over 10K, Class A operator.

wino2

California DMV RV handbook states Travel Trailers over 10000 GVWR and 5th Wheels over 15000 GVWR require Class A license. But as stated before not many people are aware of this requirement for Class A license.

mikenjulie

I got my non-commercial Class A after we bought our Landmark just in case of an accident and they find out I didn't have the required license and RV endorsement.

Mike

wdk450

I went through this whole discussion 4 years ago when I bought my rig. In fact, I was at a Sacramento RV show where they had DMV and CHP representatives in a tent. I asked them SPECIFICALLY about getting my rig to the test center for the test. I was told if you don't arrive with a correctly licensed driver driving the rig, they can confiscate it.
I couldn't find anyone with the correct license to possibly drive me there. So I just decided to do like everyone else, and forget about it.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084

Scotty I just moved to Texas and went to the DPS office to transfer my DL from Tennessee to Texas and had this conversation with them as to what I needed for my Fifth wheel, they told me that I didn't need a class A or B that the Class A was 21k or over. They then gave ma a class C. I called Austin and they also told me the same thing. Tennessee also is in the same class with Texas.

SilverRhino

Scotty I just moved to Texas and went to the DPS office to transfer my DL from Tennessee to Texas and had this conversation with them as to what I needed for my Fifth wheel, they told me that I didn't need a class A or B that the Class A was 21k or over. They then gave ma a class C. I called Austin and they also told me the same thing. Tennessee also is in the same class with Texas.
I had the very same conversation, with the same answers.... Class C is all you need in TX under 21 k

scottyb

That's exactly what I was talking about. I had the same difficulty getting them to understand what I needed. Every attendant at the DMV got a blank look on their face. Finally it went up the chain of command far enough that someone knew the law.

This is straight from the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 521, Subchapter D. Interpret it how you may.

SUBCHAPTER D. CLASSIFICATION OF DRIVER'S LICENSES

Sec. 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec.521.082
. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.162, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation. Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 521.083. CLASS C LICENSE. A Class C driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle or combination of vehicles not described by Section 521.081 or 521.082; and
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds.

521.085. TYPE OF VEHICLE AUTHORIZED. (a) Unless prohibited by Chapter 522, and except as provided by Subsection (b), the license holder may operate any vehicle of the type for which that class of license is issued and any lesser type of vehicle other than a motorcycle or moped.

Ladiver

I have opted to go for the non commercial class a. The last thing I want is a legal problem. Plus, with all the practice, it will only make me a better, safer and more confident driver. Who knows, maybe I will even convince a few others to get the training too.

Thanks for all of the replies.

jeff

Last edited:

SilverRhino

This thread covers a subject that has come up more than once and on more than one forum. Thought I knew that I was "legal", but decided to do a little research today while watching my Grandson.

In the state of Texas
the law is that if the combined GVWR of your tow vehicle and the RV is less than 26k, you are only required to have a Class "C" non CDL license. In my case I am below the 26k so the Class "C" is good. These figures are based upon my '01 Dodge 3500 and a 2010 BC 3250TS.

If I had a heavier truck and/or trailer then it might be that I would be required to have a non CDL Class "A". I have a friend who has the same truck but he pulls a flat bed low boy that has a GVWR of 20k, putting him over the 26k figure so he was required to obtain a non CDL Class "A" license.

I spoke with the head of the DPS for my area, the head of the DMV of our area and two different departments in Austin......All said the same....."add the GVWR of your tow vehicle to the GVWR of the trailer, and if that number is over 26,000 lbs. you will need a non CDL, class "A" license. I also verified this with my insurance agent so I am comfortable with my status.

Once again, these figures are for the State of Texas......I am sure others may vary.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

OH I know of 1 Socal member that got a ticket for not having the endorsement to his class "C". NOW, what he did to get stopped is a mystery to this date.

frumbawa

I have opted to go for the non commercial class a. The last thing I want is a legal problem. Plus, with all the practice, it will only make me a better, safer and more confident driver. Who knows, maybe I will even convince a few others to get the training too.

Thanks for all of the replies.

jeff

Ladiver,

What part of California are you in? I have a Non Commercial Class A and would be willing to help you get to the drive test assuming you are within a reasonable distance. I am in north San Diego. If you have any questions about the test itself, let me know.

Frank

Ladiver

Frank,

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it! I am in Orange County, about 10 miles west of the 91/15.

Jeff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Jeff, just to add to your delema. The GROSS weight of the 5er is what the chippys look at...not the empty weight. It will posted on the yellow sticker on the door frame. BTW, what is the gross weight of a 3100?? What is posted on the web site is a strippy model not loaded with options. They do weight each coach as it rolls off the line.

JanAndBill

25 years of owning a trucking company and I only know of one serious enforcement of the CDL requirements. This happened during the first Annual DOT Spring Blitz enforcements. Every year around April or May they hold a 72 hour enforcement crackdown. That patiicular year here in Alabama they set up on I-65 about mid state at the rest area. They pulled everyone in, trucks, RV's, buses you name it. Lots of tickets issued, and a lot of unhappy drivers had to call for someone with a CDL to even move their rig out of the rest areas, or ended up getting towed. They were even weighing 1 ton and 3/4 ton pickups and giving them overweight tickets (if they were running standard pickup tags). We sent several drivers over to move some of the equipement they shut down. Since then I think they are a little more relaxed with Rv's and tour buses. They really don't want that headache. Still the laws are there, and you never know when an officer might be having a bad day, and decides to make yours bad as well.

Eddhuy

My major concern with DL certifications would be if you are in an accident, your fault or not. Are you leaving yourself open for a lawsuit for not being properly licensed and will your insurance company back you up? I live in California and am staying at or below the 15,000 pound GVWR and will get the Fifth Wheel certification.

MCTalley

Sounds like "fun", JanAndBill. Fortunately, I checked and Alabama only requires a Class A/B/C license for commercial drivers. A good old standard operator's license is all we need to pull our fivers down the road. I know the total GVWR of my truck and trailer is 27,000 (11.5 and 15.5, respectively).

Per the lady at the DMV when I licensed my truck, it has the Alabama "P 1" plate (or something like that). Not a standard vehicle tag.