Odd California Drivers License Question

JanAndBill

Re: Odd Drivers License Question

Sounds like "fun", JanAndBill. Fortunately, I checked and Alabama only requires a Class A/B/C license for commercial drivers. A good old standard operator's license is all we need to pull our fivers down the road. I know the total GVWR of my truck and trailer is 27,000 (11.5 and 15.5, respectively).

Per the lady at the DMV when I licensed my truck, it has the Alabama "P 1" plate (or something like that). Not a standard vehicle tag.

I believe it was in 2004 that they came out with the P1 tag which bridged the gap between the standard passenger vehicle tag and the first heavier weight classification. I'm not sure how this applies in all states, but in Alabama they base the weight classification of the truck on it's GVW loaded in a RV application. For example my F350 has a base weight of 6769# and a cargo capacity of 5500#. A P1 tag has a maximum weight limit of 10,000. If I add up the curb weight of the truck, the pin weight of the trailer and the other items (like people, fuel, dogs, etc) I'm just at or over the 10,0000# mark. Since I use my truck for some other towing on the farm, I elected to go with the XA tag which gets me up to 12,000#. Requirements for CDL vary with the weight classification.

JanAndBill

Sorry didn't respond to the CDL requirement on the previous post. There's been some changes over the years to the CDL requirements in Alabama. There are different requirements for Commercial vs non-commercial, but there are also some specialty requirements such as bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc and endorsements for things like air brakes. I'll try to research it a little more and respond on Alabama. However while the CDL requirement is pretty standardized across the country for commercial drivers, it doesnt' seem to apply to RVs. Each state may have a different requirement, and unfortunately may or may not honor the drivers home state requirments. I've kept my CDL A in force and will probably continue, because of my individual needs other than RV.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I click the link, get to the site and get a 404 page not found error when clicking the link. I manually typed the URL and it seems to work now.

MCTalley

Each state may have a different requirement, and unfortunately may or may not honor the drivers home state requirments. I've kept my CDL A in force and will probably continue, because of my individual needs other than RV.

I previously had a Class B CDL with passenger and air brake endorsements (church bus). Just gave it up for a regular license last time I renewed.

I did check directly with Alabama's website. If I remember correctly, there is somewhere that specifically mentions you only need a Class A, B or C if you are driving commercially.

I agree on the other state thing. Guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

JanAndBill

Guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

I remember well the words of a former DOT officer and friend who once told me, "Most of our guys have a little sense about them and are not going to hassle someone to nitpick, but unfortunately we always have a few young AH's out there that haven't learned." Pretty much true everywhere, obey the traffic laws, and treat them with respect if you are stopped and they'll do the same with you.

JanAndBill

Finally found the amended regulations for CDL's in Alabama

§32-6-49.7

"(a) Except when driving with a commercial driver license learner's permit and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless the person holds, and is in immediate possession of, a commercial driver license with applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle he or she is driving.

"Active duty military or national guard personnel operating government vehicles, farmers operating certain commercial motor vehicles, fire fighters and operators of emergency equipment exempt from licensing provisions of the CMVSA are exempt from this article as detailed in FHWA's "Notice of Final Disposition" published in the Federal Register, September 26, 1988, 53 FR 37313, and as hereafter updated.

"Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle

MCTalley

Yup, that sounds like what I ran across, as well. Seems like I had to download the driver's test manual(s) to find that specifically noted.