Ok, is this idea insane? Lay it on me, good and bad.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just spoke with Mor/Ryde the other day about my 3670RL Bighorn and having them equip my trailer with the IS suspension. I have built race cars from the ground up, have a pretty good understanding of suspensions. But, it's always been my belief the ones that build the units are the experts and I will let them decide what I need. I will also weigh my trailer so that they know exactly what they have to work with. I want the best possible ride for the trailer and they are experienced and know what to do.

I am doing this as I have the problem of frame flex and Heartland has come up to the plate and willing to fix this when I get there in May at no cost to me. So it just seems like it would be a good upgrade to maybe help eliminate from this happening again. Along with helping the contents of the trailer a lot also.

Dave
Dave, not to steal the thread here but, MorRyde will weigh your trailer and measure the frame to ground distance front & rear to determine their needs for the IS install. This all happens right in front of the shop before the rig is brought inside. No need for you to do it before arriving.

G_Hage

OK folks, talked to Mor/ryde today and had a very nice conversation with the gentleman that assisted me. I now know that I have 8K rated Mor/ryde axles that were installed at Mor/ryde (not Las Cruces) on our MR. Apparently, standard axles were put under it temporarily to get it back to Elkhart for repairs.

I'm extremely excited to learn it does have the heavier axles. He also told me there are three levels of rubber springs in the Mor/ryde IS system, an 11, 30, and 35 with 35 being the heaviest. He could not tell me which were currently on the fiver but told me how to determine which I have. It appears we have the middle range spring which from what I learned should be more than adequate for our needs.

With that now known about the under carriage on our MR, I plan to take the suggestions on this forum and up size our rims to the 17.5 with GY G114 H tires and remain a two axle configuration. Our current 16" GY tires are only rated for 3750 lbs @ 110 lbs.

The jury is still out at this time on reinforcing the frame with 2x2 tubular steel.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
But, it's always been my belief the ones that build the units are the experts and I will let them decide what I need. I will also weigh my trailer so that they know exactly what they have to work with. I want the best possible ride for the trailer and they are experienced and know what to do.

You won't need to weigh your trailer before you go there. They will weigh each tire seperately when you arrive and again when you leave. This is what they did with mine.

You should't need to reinforce the frame. They installed extra tubing surrounded the IS installation to support the frame.

I don't think you have any need to worry... Take it out and enjoy.

BC