Suspension and Brakes on my 2008 Landmark Mount Rushmore

G_Hage

Having just bought this beautiful unit used from a Florida based dealership, and it having no owners manuals with it when they obtained it, I'm at a loss on many things related to our new to use Fiver.

Upon inspecting the undercarriage I'm not sure what type of suspension (name/type) this unit actually has. Each axle is independently hung onto the frame with what appear to be rectangular hard rubber block assemblies (similar to the suspense systems in the stands the large jet engines we transport are mounted in) mounted at each end of the axles. Each axle is also fitted with two shock absorbers each. Is this considered the standard or upgraded suspension in this build period, and is it a good system?

I also noted what appear to be thin aluminum hydraulic lines connected to larger diameter rubber lines connected to each hub assembly. I assume this unit has hydraulic rather than electric brakes? Also without pulling off a wheel, would this have come with disc or drum brakes?

The handicaps of buying a used unit with no directions, etc! LOL

Attachments

• Mount Rushmore 1.jpg
    Mount Rushmore 1.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 63

jbeletti

Re: ATF: Landmark - Suspension ? on my 2008 [built year = 2006] Mount Rushmore

Hi G Hage,

Sounds like your unit was fitted with disc brakes. Look for a master cylinder/reservoir - likely in the front generator cabinet.

The suspension that was used at that time - is the Mor/ryde RE system. Mor/ryde products are pretty good. There were some issues with some of the RE systems on the Landmarks. Mor/ryde did a good job os standing behind them. From your description, you may have the Mor/ryde IS system.

There is no detailed operators manual for your coach - only a general owners manual. Here's a link to the current manual.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners family! If you have more questions about your rig, kindly post them in sub-forums that are relevant to the issue in question. There, you will get quick feedback from other product owners.

And if you want to join us at rallies for tons of fun, all over North American, consider joining the Heartland Owners Club!

iowaone

I think you will find you have a very good upgrade with disk brakes. It is a very expensive add on

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member

Sounds like it might be Morryde's Independent Suspension with Disc Brakes. Give them a call with the full VIN number they might be able to tell what was installed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you could snap a picture of the suspension, we could tell you more. Does it have leaf springs with a black metal box mounted between the springs on each side?
Anything you need help on, the members are here for you. There's a Rally just north of Ocala in March at Williston Crossings. In addition to meeting a great bunch of folks, you can learn a wealth of information about your Mount Rushmore.
Here is a LINK to the Williston Rally info

G_Hage

If you could snap a picture of the suspension, we could tell you more. Does it have leaf springs with a black metal box mounted between the springs on each side?
Anything you need help on, the members are here for you. There's a Rally just north of Ocala in March at Williston Crossings. In addition to meeting a great bunch of folks, you can learn a wealth of information about your Mount Rushmore.
Here is a LINK to the Williston Rally info

No it does not have leaf springs or the rocker arms between the axles that the springs would be attached to. I'm sure as others have said in this thread it has the Mor Ryde suspension with hydraulic disc brakes in which I'm very excited to learn. Especially since we will be towing this with an HDT (class 8 tractor with an air ride head).

We will be keeping our unit at Grand Lake Golf and RV Resort full time so the rally is just up the road from there. We definitely will have to bobtail over to the rally as we still have to get our Max Brake, Jackalope, and air head installed on the toter.

Attachments

• Ft Jackson 2 The campsite.jpg
    Ft Jackson 2 The campsite.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 71

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Man, you need to play the lottery...you are extremely lucky....that upgrade just cost me $5,000!!!

donr827

Call Heartland customer service with the vin number. They should be able to tell you about the equipment that the trailer left the factory with. If the prior owner made any upgrades after the sale customer service would not be able to help you with that. Some manuals for individual components can be found at the top of the page under tools.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Man, you need to play the lottery...you are extremely lucky....that upgrade just cost me $5,000!!!

That's exactly what I was just thinking reading this. I could have saved myself some money this past fall. :)

To G_Hage,

look under your coach. From what you described it sounds like everyone is right; you have IS and disc brakes. Just to be sure, does the back side of each "axle" look like this???
IMAG1250.jpg

G_Hage

That's exactly what I was just thinking reading this. I could have saved myself some money this past fall. :)

To G_Hage,

look under your coach. From what you described it sounds like everyone is right; you have IS and disc brakes. Just to be sure, does the back side of each "axle" look like this???
View attachment 22908

You win the prize for sure, along with the rest of the responders! That is exactly what I have on our Rushmore. I got a bonus prize on this purchase!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You win the prize for sure, along with the rest of the responders! That is exactly what I have on our Rushmore. I got a bonus prize on this purchase!!!

Now that you know what you have, also know that there are grease fittings on the bottom of each axle. These require regular lube and Mor Ryde recommends that the tire is off the ground (weight off of the suspension) for best results.

G_Hage

Now that you know what you have, also know that there are grease fittings on the bottom of each axle. These require regular lube and Mor Ryde recommends that the tire is off the ground (weight off of the suspension) for best results.

Thanks for pointing that out. Plan to have grease gun and jack in hang for regular maintenance on these axles!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You should grease the IS about every year or 6,000 miles. Also inspect the disk breaks often. Many people set their break controller very tight and cause the disk pads to wear faster than the ones on the truck. I would adjust them so they will stop the trailer and let the truck help a bit also.

For the grease you need to use Highpressure Hightemperature grease such as this below.
Red Grease.jpg

Harbor Freight and I purchased the 12V Electric Grease Gun.

Here is a PDF copy of the manual for IS and Kodiak DB.

BC

Attachments

• Kodiak Disk Brakes Manual.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IS153-003-IS%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    265.5 KB · Views: 10