Overdrive

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this is originally about GMC's.. with a Dodge thrown in, so here it is for a PSD. I like that... makes it sound real cool... PSD.. Hee Hee...

When am pulling the 3400 on level ground I keep the transmission in OD. When I enter a town I engage the Tow/Haul (press the button on the end of the gear shift). This helps me slow down easier and if some slug pulls in real quick and hits the brakes it helps slow down faster.

I never use the cruise control in the Tow/Haul mode. The Tow/Haul mode keeps the transmission in the present gear longer than it would in OD. This will effect your MPG. However I found out that if it is in the Tow/Haul mode and my speed increases to about 63-65 it automatically goes into OD. My RPM's run about 2000 @ 70 MPH.

Now reading this forum has gotten me thinking ???? If like some of the posts indicated.. If I hold the Tow/Haul button in for 2 sec or what ever... It down shifts?? Any PSD owners know anything about this..

Here is a PDF about the Ford Tow/Haul feature.. If your intrested...
http://www.intermotive.net/Tech Tip/Tech Tip - August 06.pdf

Thanks for the thread.. it is very informative.. I like posts that get you thinking about something you may have never thought of..

Shadowchek

Tow Haul :confused: Us antique 7.3 Psd Owners don't know what that is :cool:.
For those of us with 4 speed tranny's :eek: I turn off the OD when towing. I heard it is easier on the transmission and I want it to be around for a while. Happy with my 7.3 Though. :D

Greg

jnbhobe

I use tow-haul when ever I have a good load on, like the fifth wheel or a big boat. In the torque shift tranny all it does is to change the shift points on upshift. I some times turn it off when I want it to upshift faster like Bobcat does because you do have to get rolling to get it to upshift. I really like the braking it gives on downshift.Hit the brakes once it goes down 1 gear hit them twice, goes down another gear, If you are in the RPM range to allow that to happen. JON:cool: :cool::cool:

PUG

Pug
I have an two thousand two Chev duramax and allison. If I pull my sailboat (10k) or rv (18K), the transmission will heat up a bunch. The tow haul mode locks the trans up and so it slips less so less heat. If you look at the Chev site it tells you to keep in taul haul mode when towing anything of weight to avoid slipping of trans and excessive heat.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hit the brakes once it goes down 1 gear hit them twice, goes down another gear, If you are in the RPM range to allow that to happen. JON:cool: :cool::cool:

That is what forced the first re-flash on our '03 Dually. We were tooling along the back roads in T/H mode (with no trailer or weight) and came to some RR tracks. I tapped the brake trying to be courteous as Momma doesn't appreciate the bounce while texting the office (another topic) Well, the ole girl downshifted 2 gears, left 4 black skid marks and Momma hit the dash! She doesn't cuss much but I heard it that day and then so did our Service Writer! :eek: All is good now though..except for that derned texting...:mad:

2010augusta

Thanks Bob

Thanks for the PSD tow/haul mode article. I have not done a lot of experimenting with the T/H on the '06, but I had a '94 F-350 turbo diesel (not a PSD) with the E4OD and the O/D button would also reset the tranny computer/brain. I was towing a 20' trailer with furniture across town and for some reason it went in to "limp home mode." I topped off the fluid and drove around some more but it would not quite flashing at me, so I held the button in for 30 seconds and the flashing stopped and it never acted up again.