Overflow when NOT filling up Fresh Water Tank

Prairiedog

Here's a new issue:

I am full-timing, but I drained my fresh water tank before I left on a trip and came back today and filled it up. In fact, I filled it up so much that both overflow spigots began draining a bit. So, I turned off the water to the rig, switched the valve back to CITY (from TANK), turned the park spigot back on and began normal operations...or so I thought.

Even with the switch switched back to CITY, water still came back out of the Fresh Water overflow. I switched the valve switch around to the other positions just to make sure I had it solidly on CITY, but to no avail -- water still came out of the overflow drains. I then went to the fresh water drain I could control and let water out until the overflow drains stopped flowing. That worked for a few minutes, and then the water began draining again.

As a last ditch effort, I let out enough water to bring me down to 2/3ds full to see if maybe this was just a full-pressure issue. Apparently its not, because the meter just read FULL just 5 minutes later.

I would presume my four-way switch in the UDC is broken, but perhaps there's something I'm missing. Any help???

Thanks folks!
Rob

danemayer

Hi Rob,

The water pump has a type of check valve built into it that's probably causing the problem. If it gets stuck partially or fully open, water flows backwards through the pump and into the fresh tank.

Take a look at our Water Systems Guide. Pages 10 and 11 describe the problem more fully and gives solutions.

Prairiedog

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just posted a reply but apparently it didn't show up...so I'll try again!

Are there any ways to get the check valve "unstuck" that you know of? Also, out of curiosity, should the water pump work with the valve in CITY mode, and should city water work with the valve in NORMAL mode? In other words, I'm trying to see if the valve itself is broken, because the water pump works in both positions, and city water will flow with the pump off regardless of water position the 4-way is in. Just curious to see if this is part of the problem.

Ugh. With the freezing temps coming down hard over the next few days in Alabama, this is not what I was hoping to come back to.

My thanks,
Rob

danemayer

Rob,

I ran into the attached drawing a few days ago. If it's accurate, the city water is blocked when set to NORMAL and the pump output is blocked when set to CITY. But I don't know if it's accurate. Could it be a problem with the valve? Maybe. But over the past few years, I don't think we've seen a post about a valve failure causing this. I recall one post where the valve was replaced first but the problem was actually with the pump.

As to fixing the pump, I've never heard of anyone fixing the pump. The good news is that if it's Shurflo, they're pretty good about sending replacements. I called them when mine failed and they asked me to peel the label off the pump and mail it to them. The replacement pump showed up a few days later. I also installed the inline check valve which was pretty easy to do.

4way water valve.jpg

Prairiedog

Just a quick update.

Once the fresh water tank was completely drained, I re-attached the hose and ran it back on CITY (with the fresh water drain closed). So far (after a day), I don't believe the water is flowing back into the fresh water tank. It seems as though once the tank was drained, whatever back pressure that existed must have been released. However, this is obviously not normal operations so I'm calling to get a new pump regardless. Shouldn't be an either/or between the two methods.

At least, in the meantime, this is a viable solution.

Thanks again for the help!

aatauses

I agree with Dan---I would check that check valve in the pump or have the pump replaced.
al
currently in surprise, AZ

TedS

There is in the pump one check valve for each piston. Three pump pistons, three check valves. The pump head cover can be removed by removing a few screws. Then the check valves and seats can be inspected for debris and cleaned. Also check the suction strainer for debris and clean it to prevent more dirt from getting into the pump.

Lynn1130

Dan,
I just wanted to put in a plug for you and all of the information and help that you give here. I know that I appreciate it and I am sure others do also.

Lynn

jbeletti

Dan,
I just wanted to put in a plug for you and all of the information and help that you give here. I know that I appreciate it and I am sure others do also.

Lynn

+1 for Dan Mayer. As I do with all our forum Moderators, I also really appreciate Dan and all the time he's able to take giving ideas and potential solutions.

Prairiedog

+2 -- Dan, you assistance has been and remains an invaluable asset in this endeavor. Thank you so much for all you do! //Rob

wqmiller

Dan,<br />
<br />
............... Also, out of curiosity, should the water pump work with the valve in CITY mode, and should city water work with the valve in NORMAL mode? In other words, I'm trying to see if the valve itself is broken, because the water pump works in both positions, and city water will flow with the pump off regardless of water position the 4-way is in..............
Many thanks,<br />
Rob

Rob,

On my 2013 Landmark San Antonio, I have the very same performance on my 4-way valve as you state above. It is curiosity more than anything, as you say, but I am puzzled by the situation......I believe it is actually by design rather than a failure. Maybe some other owners will weigh in with more info on this subject.

Also, regarding Dan and his "spot on" answers to problems, I give ten thumbs up to him! I have been reading the forum for almost two years and he has saved me countless hours with his well written responses. Of course, there are many others that contribute as well. The forum is a wealth of information as are the Owner written Guides. THANKS!!!

Quinton Miller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD