Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

funntheson

I'm a Popper. He's a Popper. Wouldn't you like to be a Popper too?

I just wanted to jump in to say I have had the same issue with the popping. I kind of ignore it, but it drives my wife crazy!

I look forward to a solution.

Larry

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Larry, can you send me any details about the popping noises that you've noticed. I'm trying to gather data for Lippert.

funntheson

At this point, I haven't really kept track of when it is happening. It does appear to be weather related. I will try to pay closer attention on future trips.

cszimmer

LANDMARK RUSHMORE
I also have the same popping noise on our Rushmore. Seems to be early morning as the sun comes up on the sunny side also. Not sure if that is just a coincidence or not but it is really annoying. Dealer can't seem to find anything wrong. Not leaking fluid and it isn't a big deal but if there is a fix that would be great. We have tried boards, plastic and even TSC horse stall mats under the landing gear and none have taken the popping away.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
cszimmer,
If it becomes to annoying use something to block the direct sun off of the front jacks including the feet. It might not look pretty but it works.

Zamora

We too have had this problem with a popping somewhere in the jacks or the frame. Walking around inside made it pop all the more. Somewhere on the Heartland owners site someone mentioned using a penetrating white grease spray and spraying where the foot and the leg meet. You have to do this in the retracted mode so you can spray the underside as well. Also wiggle the foot as you do this to fully lub the two parts.

After doing this our problem was 90% fixed.

Pizzaguy

I know this is an older thread, but has anyone found a fix for this problem yet? Ours has been doing the popping also, especially at night and you can actually feel the rig move when it does this. Feels like it drops down when it pops but there are no evident leaks.

jayc

I forwarded a lot of information to Bob Tiedge, inventor of the Level Up system and a Lippert employee now. I also spoke with him at the Gillette rally and was told that the problem is being addressed. Since then I haven't heard anything else from him but I'm sure that he will let us know when they come up with a fix for the problem.

I would suggest that anyone still experiencing these issues to take good notes on things like weather conditions and if any measurable movement is observed. Then either post your info here and it will be reviewed by Lippert.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We haven't had any issues here in Alabama since mid-April...seems like when it was getting fairly warm during the day and the temps dropped at night is when the most of our popping/creaking went on.

KiwiRVer

This seems to have turned into a major issue for Lippert and I also have been feeding information to Bob Tiedge for the last three months. Last contact I had with them was yesterday at which time I was was advised they have a team working on the problem but no solution has yet been suggested.

funntheson

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but if we are set up on loose rocks or gravel, as opposed to a solid surface such as asphalt or concrete, we get little or no popping. I have observed this on more than one occasion.

Larry

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but if we are set up on loose rocks or gravel, as opposed to a solid surface such as asphalt or concrete, we get little or no popping. I have observed this on more than one occasion.

Larry

Yep! That's what we've experienced all along. Ours gives almost no problem when traveling, where we are usually on gravel, etc. On our concrete lot we MUST use six in blocking on the low side to lessen the stroke of the pistons to stop the popping....

Sorry that I have not been around for a wee bit. I have been real busy with work and getting the big house sold. I finally got around to building some wooden "jack pads" that are about 7 inches thick. I placed one under each of the 4 hydraulic feet. (I have the 4 point). This lessened the stroke length of the piston. I was dissapointed at first because the popping although less was still present. However after about 2 days it was gone. I dont know what changed, if it was just reducing the length or getting the foot off of the concrete then I would think that it would be immediate. Anyhow I'm happy. I'd still like to know the cause and a real fix for it but I'm pop free. As a side note before I placed the wooden pads under the feet I put a tripod under the kingpin and built some homemade jack stands and placed them at the rear of the drop frame and in front of the axles but neither helped with the popping. They are still in place so I dont know if it is a combination of all things or just the wooden blocks. I'm pop "freeing" for the time "being" so not gonna change a thing! Although I'm happy I must still state that with an MSRP in the 90's one should not have to deal with this issue as well as some of the other common poor "Quality Control" issues

jayc

I've had the same experience as others, less popping on gravel but lots on concrete.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
So going way out on the theory limb here: When the ambient temperatures change (e.g. from day to night or vice versa), the metal jacks (or possibly the hydraulic fluid?) actually expand or contract just a hair. On gravel they are able to move on the surface as the change occurs, but on concrete, pressure holds them for awhile until they "pop" over on the surface a little bit.

Sounds interesting in theory, but maybe not real plausible in practice. How about some theoretical physics discussion on this?

By the way, I have never had this popping effect with my level up system (knock on wood).

marvmarcy

I started this thread and have applied some of the recommended "fixes" which helped. The biggest change came when I left Colorado Springs and came to Montana. Since I parked the fiver on my place near Polson, MT (by Flathead Lake) I haven't noticed any popping, and its been almost two months now. I think it is because the temperature swings are less and the front jacks are barely extended. This summer has had fantastic weather - haven't used the ac at all, with highs in the 80s and lows around 60 overnight, with low humidity and gentle breezes. Come visit western MT!

donr827

On another web site there was someone complaining about the popping noise of their Big Foot system.
Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been on the road since May...blocking the high side whenever it seemed necessary, and our unit hasn't made one sound...not one! Still think it has to do with the surface and the extension of the pistons....it's gone from the fifties in the mornings to well over 100 numerous times... temps don't seem to affect it...JMHO.