Power Cord Reel Question

relic57

May be a silly question but wondering on the power cord reel. How long is it and is it directly hardwired into the unit, or is it a loose cord. Thinking about having having it put in when we order our BC

Thanks
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you the exact length, but it's long.
The cord wraps around the reel. That's why it's called a cord reel. No loose cord.
Yes it is wired into the unit.
I have one and I think it is a great option.
If not getting the power reel, you will have a big heavy roll of wire to handle and store.

Peace
Dave

Snow

Mine was a loose cord that you put on a reel in the storage a big waste of space IMHO not unless you are talking about something else . It's a waste I took my reel out as soon as I got home ,it was all you could do to wind up the cord on the reel ,I just roll it by hand and put in the back of the truck ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Snow brought up an interesting thoughtIt sounds like there is a power cord reel and a power reel.I am talking about a power reel. Push a button and the cord winds on the reel.Be sure to clarify what type of reel is available to you.

On edit, I just checked on the Heartlandrvs web site and the option listed for the Big Country is the manual crank cord reel.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

Snow

May be a silly question but wondering on the power cord reel. How long is it and is it directly hardwired into the unit, or is it a loose cord. Thinking about having having it put in when we order our BC

Thanks
Dave
Yea you might want to check but if it's a power reel that would be sweet our buddy has one in his SOB and it works slick I don't know how long it is but he has no problem with it being to short anywhere we go ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

porthole

Retired
Snow brought up an interesting thoughtIt sounds like there is a power cord reel and a power reel.I am talking about a power reel. Push a button and the cord winds on the reel.Be sure to clarify what type of reel is available to you.

On edit, I just checked on the Heartlandrvs web site and the option listed for the Big Country is the manual crank cord reel.

Peace
Dave

If the option is a manual reel, that may still be something to think about. Check to see if the included cord is the "SO" version. That is the flexible outdoor cable, unlike the base model "Anaconda" wire.

If it is the hardwired electric reel the cord should be 33' long IIRC. That length is set by RIVA based on the height of the inlet off the ground.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
33 ft is about right. We have the option on our 3010RE and I've had the cord out about max and it reaches from the back corner to just past the landing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizzadigger

If some one needs a manual crank cord reel out of a 2014 Big Country . I took ours out and it's sitting in our garage. I can make you a reel "sweet deal". sorry I couldn't resist....

Andy

stevenssr

Personally, I think the manual reel works pretty good. I can spin up the cord in a few seconds. Would I rather have a powered cord reel? Sure. If I ordered a new RV would I add the power reel option? Probably. But this came on mine, I use it, and think it works pretty good. Thats despite the dealer telling me it was for a water hose during PDI, and that there is no way the power cord would fit on it. Of course, they also told me I had to take the basement wall out to winterize the unit. However, in general I would include most of the options available if I were ordering a new RV.

Scott

pegmikef

I physically measured mine with a hundred foot tape and from where it hits the reel to the plug it is 34 feet.

relic57

THANKS, everyone for your comments, appreciate it.

YES it would be the motorized one, within its own compartment. Will make sure about the flex cord also.