Powerking Tire Failure on Cyclone 4200

CDN

B and B
Sorry to hear you have issues. The Powerking tires are known to be weak in construction. I replaced them on my previous trailer after 1 year of use, they were rotting inside on the bead, fell apart.. Was a little Leary of them. Salium are good and Goodyear are even better.

My new trailer I picked up today as Salium so I hope they stand up for a couple years.

jbeletti

...Btw, even the best tires can fail. A few years ago one of our Goodyear G614s threw its thread, taking out the j-wrap and fender.
Agreed! In October, one of my LR-H Goodyear G114 tires failed. It can happen to any tire. I got lucky as I was doing 50-55 mph and felt a bit of wiggle and saw smoke and pulled right over. Probably had happened within minutes of pulling over. No damage other than the tire.

porthole

Retired
Re: RV tires

First you'll need to tell us what brand tires were on it, and then there should be a stamp on the backside of the wheel saying it's load rating (like 3750 or similar) or psi (80 or 110). Then we can help recommend tires.

Could it be you hit something that caused the blowout, or were your tires under inflated? Were you running faster than the Speed rating of the tire? Could you be overloaded? Have you rubbed a curb, or hit large potholes in the past?

All these things contribute to tire failure.

Not the least of which is they are junk to begin with for heavy loads.

- - - Updated - - -

First, the tires are warranted by the distributor, not by Heartland.

As is the case with every tire on every vehicle.

Bones

Can I take a wild guess that the trailer is a late 2016 to early 2017. I think Tree14 should post a pic of the yellow sticker showing the tires that were suppose to be on the trailer. Take a pic of the tires that are on it now. Call heartland to confirm which tires shipped with it to make sure it came with Saliun tires. If so and he has Tow max on there, some where the tires were swapped out. Also make sure to look at the spare tire too.

OEFVET

Re: Enough of the Big Country and Landmark threads.. Go Road Warrior and Cyclone's!

2016 Cyclone 4200 Power King tires

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This rig definitely came with G rated Sailun Tires. I'd go after the dealer if I were you.

Bones

Re: Enough of the Big Country and Landmark threads.. Go Road Warrior and Cyclone's!

This rig definitely came with G rated Sailun Tires. I'd go after the dealer if I were you.
I must have missed that post somewhere.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If the trailer was special ordered and the dealer swapped out the tires, then Heartland might have something to say about it.

If it was purchased off of the dealers lot, then you'll have to get the dealer to come clean.

Our Prowler had BlowMax tires on it from the factory, but since we had just purchased new tires (same size and load rating) for our previous trailer a week before we traded it in we had the dealer swap them out for the BlowMax tires.

Jim-Lynn

Tree14; everything you have heard is true, now I had the Towmax on my last 5th wheel, 35,000 miles and no issues. When I got me 4200, 2015, it came with Towmax tires. I have probably been lucky, and will replace at the beginning of this season. just not sure what to get, any manufacturer's tire can blow at any time. Best of luck and remember you need good rubber under that monster trailer.

Tree14

Re: RV tires

Tree14, sorry to hear of your mishap.

First you'll need to tell us what brand tires were on it, and then there should be a stamp on the backside of the wheel saying it's load rating (like 3750 or similar) or psi (80 or 110). Then we can help recommend tires.

Could it be you hit something that caused the blowout, or were your tires under inflated? Were you running faster than the Speed rating of the tire? Could you be overloaded? Have you rubbed a curb, or hit large potholes in the past? All these things contribute to tire failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powering, we never speed or overload. It took 3 months for camping world to repair but still missing 2 parts!! STAY AWAY from CAMPING WORLD'S

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Westwind

I highly recommend reading through this forum when you have time, there are certain brands of RV equipment (tires etc.) which have proven to be problematic and even dangerous that other owner's have identified. Power King or TowMax are at the top of the list for tires. I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt or in a serious accident due to the blowout. Safe Travels.

Tree14

There are tons of posts on these tires. A member told me to file a complaint with NHSTB , we should all do this. What did you replace the POS ones with? ?

We are looking at new Goodyear highly-rated I will get back to you and tell you which ones were getting. The rating is better well anything's better than with what we have. I spoke to Heartland and they said they just put on whatever is available more or less. I think we should all get a hold of the NHS TB. These toy haulers are big monsters and we should have the best available rubber underneath! We do not travel at high rates of speed nor do we overload our rig. I will look at the date of manufacture on our trailer since we just got it back from the awful Camping World. Never go there I've experienced nothing but disaster at all that I have gone to. I contacted the regional vice president he did nothing but lie and backtrack when I asked why they had taken 3 months to do my repairs it's at on the parking lot for over a month! Please pass that on I'm working with Heartland to make sure that they do not sell their product because they cannot service nor repair.

danemayer

I think we should all get a hold of the NHS TB. These toy haulers are big monsters and we should have the best available rubber underneath!

Tree14,

On these large rigs, Heartland heard owners and switched several years ago to tires that have a very good reputation, Sailun S637 on most, Goodyear G614 or G114 on some.

Of course there are people still riding on older tires that have a bad reputation, so we continue to see posts about recent tire failures, amplified by recaps from people who had failures years in the past. The number of new failure reports has been declining dramatically compared to past years, but obviously will continue for some time.

NHTSA is the agency you want, not NHSTB. NHSTA investigates tire complaints and can require tire manufacturers to issue a recall if a manufacturing defect is found. But anecdotal reports like we typically see here are pretty useless. They need specific information including the DOT # from the failed tire. And I'd suggest pictures and that failed tires be made available for NHTSA inspection.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tree14, you never posted what tire your white sticker on the rig says you should have, nor what psi your rims are spec'd to use. It's not advisable to put 110psi rated tires on rims spec'd for 80 or 90 psi max.

Camping World (overall) has a reputation of not good service after the sale, for any brand of RV.

In the future it's best to find a independent service center that only does service, and get pre-approval from Heartland to have work done.

I hope it all works out for you and one day you get to enjoy your Rig.

Tree14

Tree14,

On these large rigs, Heartland heard owners and switched several years ago to tires that have a very good reputation, Sailun S637 on most, Goodyear G614 or G114 on some.

Of course there are people still riding on older tires that have a bad reputation, so we continue to see posts about recent tire failures, amplified by recaps from people who had failures years in the past. The number of new failure reports has been declining dramatically compared to past years, but obviously will continue for some time.

NHTSA is the agency you want, not NHSTB. NHSTA investigates tire complaints and can require tire manufacturers to issue a recall if a manufacturing defect is found. But anecdotal reports like we typically see here are pretty useless. They need specific information including the DOT # from the failed tire. And I'd suggest pictures and that failed tires be made available for NHTSA inspection.
My trailer was built spring 2015 and had Tow Max bought it March 2016 as a 2016 model new

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My trailer was built spring 2015 and had Tow Max bought it March 2016 as a 2016 model new

Our Prowler's birthdate is January 26, 2015 and it had BlowMax tires on it from the factory . . .

But is didn't when we pulled it away from our dealership!

NewProwler-P1000041.jpg NewProwler-P1000050.jpg

LBR

Like mentioned earlier, sounds like your trailer's tires were swapped from Sailuns to Towmaxes in it's first year before your purchase....your new tires will hold up great!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

What tire spec is listed on the tag you saw the date of manufacture?

tireman9

There are tons of posts on these tires. A member told me to file a complaint with NHSTB , we should all do this. What did you replace the POS ones with? ?

Proper agency to report any tire failure is NHTSA
Don't forget to have the full DOT serial including the data code portion. They will need that iinfo. They may or may not ask for more info but it would help if you have a number of pictures of the failed tire taken in full sunlight.