Problem winterizing

Niles

As bad as I hate to do it. It's time to winterize the 3670, moved the valves and got the pink stuff in the hot water heater. What's yer thoughts, check valve bad? Thanks

traveler44

Yes it sounds like your check valve at the top back of your water heater is bad. The cheap plastic ones that come on them just fall apart. I bought a Camco brass one and rodded out the old plastic one to use for a pipe nipple. The camco comes with male on one end female on the other instead of the male thread on both ends like the plastic has. It is alot easier to change than the W.H. bypass valve on mine. Tom M.

Niles

Check valve is what I was thinking too, I've already changed it out to the brass one, but sounds like it has went bad too. I just bypassed the water heater totally this year to get it done, next spring I'll change the valve again. Thanks

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
you pull the diode out of the water heater, bypass it and don't put anti freeze in it, leave it open. The water heater should be empty and open...................

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
you pull the diode out of the water heater, bypass it and don't put anti freeze in it, leave it open. The water heater should be empty and open...................

That was my initial thought...drain the tank, remove the anode rod etc) but when I re-read the post, I believe the OP is using the bypass switch but is still getting anti-freeze in the water heater. Bad swirtch or check valve!

Niles

Yep, using the bypass and still getting anti freeze in the HW. I don't know for sure but feel like the check valve is the problem. Will replace that to start with then if that doesn't work try the bypass valve. Thanks all.