Quad steps

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
this is the best 4th step & very safe...

38293n.jpg
That's what we just bought...works great!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
For a 3-step unit perhaps, but with the 4-step unit, supporting the assembly looks to be the better option. That, or a big mattress under the steps.

That's true...we actually have a step support attached to the bottom of our current step, it too works just fine, but we don't use it often as the dog's lead is always getting wrapped around it. The 3-step units seem to be alot stronger than the 4-step was....not too worried about these breaking...just getting in and out when unlevel...rough on these short legs....:eek:

2010augusta

Update, I called Heartland on Friday for an update on the conversation, and was told the Elkhart T&D did not feel it was a manufacturing/engineering defect, Chris contacted them again with more information on the trailer and today (Monday) I get an email saying Elkhart T&D is now going to replace the steps. The only slow part of this process was waiting on the vendor to review pictures and other information, so again I feel Heartland provides a outstanding level of customer service, and works with vendors to extend this service. Thanks to all at Heartland.

Delaine and Lindy

Quad Steps.....

Our Ouad steps are from Elkhart T&D and still as sturdy as the day we pick the 5er up in Elkhart. We have used them for 2 1/2 Months now, so they seem to be working just fine. I weigh 206 lbs and when I'm on the bottom step there is no flex. May have been upgraded, they seem to be much stronger than the Quads we had this past April, they would flex about 2 or 3". Good Luck. GBY.....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Ouad steps are from Elkhart T&D and still as sturdy as the day we pick the 5er up in Elkhart. We have used them for 2 1/2 Months now, so they seem to be working just fine. I weigh 206 lbs and when I'm on the bottom step there is no flex. May have been upgraded, they seem to be much stronger than the Quads we had this past April, they would flex about 2 or 3". Good Luck. GBY.....

So what you are saying is the quad steps on the Mobile Suites are better than the quad steps on the Heartland unit?

2010augusta

Were the ones form "this past April" also Elkhart T&D or some where else? And which April 2009 or 2008? Ours really started bending after about 6 months, and I weigh about 280, I am big guy and will support this next set from the start.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
This makes me all the more glad I have the RV EZ Step. I am a "husky" guy too and I know that every time I don't set up my steps, I am uneasy going up and especially down the trailer steps. My wife has a bad knee, so this makes it much easier to handle going in and out of the trailer.

Delaine and Lindy

Not sure what or who the Manufactor was in April. I'm just saying the quads are different that the ones we had in April. I really don't know who made the ones we had before. GBY....

jmgratz

Okay...just wondering. It just seems to me that you made the right decision in going with the Mobile Suites as you seem to be alot more happy with that than the Heartland product you used to have. We love our Landmark and I guess that is why they make different brands.

Delaine and Lindy

My Opinion and comment....

Jim its more that liking or disliking the Heartland Products. Our 2009 Landmark (Augusta) we didn't like the design of the side bath at all, I didnt' like the situation behind the basement walls and didn't like the way you had to remove screws to get behind the basement wall to fix water leaks, there is a better way. We pulled a 175 miles and had four water leaks and one of the water lines had came completely off the connection? Jim our biggest reason was the Dealership, we normally don't return to the dealership and haven't had a reason but due to the dented Fridg doors we had to return it to have the doors replaced, Heartland authorized the replacement without question. We didn't have a problem with Heartland as a manufactor. Why should you have to return to a dealership and then be told one thing and then you are lied to for no reason at all. Some dealerships for some reason think RVer's are dumb as a Rock and in some cases we are, but we told the dealership up front there was no reason not to be truthful and if your weren't we would move to another product and we did. But after you own two or three or more RV's and have a little common sense you learn real quick. Its very sad to read some of the post about the problems about water leaks poor performance from dealerships and in some cases poor support from the manufactors. And there is no reason for a RV to set for weeks on end waiting for repairs. And all the bashing about different brands, mine is better than yours or yours is better than mine. Thats what kids do on the play grounds. There are some who would bash a donut. Bashing will never fix the problem. A person should move on and thats what we did. Is our brand problem free of course not, do I run to the dealership for simple repairs no. We use our 5th wheel about 8 to 9 months a year, and expect it to stand up if not we will go to another brand in a pair of seconds. I'm begining to see more and more dealerships tell you as a owner to call the component manufactor about problems, no problem with that if your out of the 1 year warranty if not it shouldn't happen. The relationship between the manufactor and dealership needs lots of work, there seems to be a communication problem on many issues, but we as owners must insist the issues be fixed and for us not to be caught between them. We as owners have to hold the manufactor accountable and make them do whats right or get rid of their product, thats the only choice we have. Heartland is very Lucky to have Jim B. as a person you can go to, and I have known Jim for sometime and have a great deal of respect for him and he does a great Job for Heartland and for the owners. And we welcome Jim B. to Tennessee. I haven't in any way bashed Heartland, being truthful isn't bashing. I will tell you up front I'm very opinionated and don't see a lot of grey areas, in most cases its black and white. But if I have offended anyone, I apologize... Our door is open to anyone, RVer's for sure. and we will help anyone if we can. GBY.......

jmgratz

Thank you for your reply. I understand where you are coming from and agree. The only thing I was wondering about is it seemed like the majority of your posts were negative to the Heartland product. We have had our share of problems with our Landmark also but Heartland has stepped up to the plate every time we have asked for their help. Unlike our Alfa Gold (top of their line) who did not stand behind their warranty, and maybe that is why they are not in business any more. I must say of all of the issues we have had with all of the RVs we have owned Heartland RV is the tops in customer care. RV Dealers on the other hand have a long long way to go with their customer service. Every RV Dealer we have ever dealt with are full of excuses, lies, poor workmanship, and more excuses. They think we buy RVs to have them stored at their repair facilities for weeks on end and if you are not handy in doing the repairs yourself, then you are at their mercy. Until we are the comsumers demand top notch service this will continue. Mobile Suites does make a great unit but is not my style. And I am sure yours is a beauful unit. Take care and Happy RVing....

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Whew-I'm glad that both of you guys have cleared that up. I enjoy reading both of your posts both here and else where and have always felt that both of you tell it like it is.

I agree with both posts on dealers. The couple of dealer experiences I have had have been a battle. Then you read about the other experiences. It seems the one thing bad dealers have in common-apathy.

The good stories about dealers semm to be the exception.

Maybe as Heartland grows, they can become more "picky" about who represents their units and even get to the point where dealers are on an actual waiting list to represent Heartland. Maybe then the dealers will take service after the sale a little more serious if they want to keep the Heartland line.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Now that I'm out of warranty I plan on avoiding dealers like the plague. I like to think I'm a little mechanically and electrically inclined and will try to fix almost everything myself. I just repaired the interior gearing in one of my front landing legs and it actually was somewhat fun. But I'm lucky to have the space to work on it and most of the tools I need on hand or close by. It also helps to have a mechanically inclined son to help out.

2010augusta

I second that Gus, I will be putting the new steps on in the campground, I carry enough tools with us to fix anything I can think of and then some.

2010augusta

Got the new Quad-Steps today from Elkhart Tool & Die, Thanks to Chris at Heartland Service. Now I have to try to figure out how to get the old ones off and hold 80# of steps up to the frame. I'll let you know how it goes.

wdk450

Rate the Dealer's Service for Everyone to See

Thank you for your reply. I understand where you are coming from and agree. The only thing I was wondering about is it seemed like the majority of your posts were negative to the Heartland product. We have had our share of problems with our Landmark also but Heartland has stepped up to the plate every time we have asked for their help. Unlike our Alfa Gold (top of their line) who did not stand behind their warranty, and maybe that is why they are not in business any more. I must say of all of the issues we have had with all of the RVs we have owned Heartland RV is the tops in customer care. RV Dealers on the other hand have a long long way to go with their customer service. Every RV Dealer we have ever dealt with are full of excuses, lies, poor workmanship, and more excuses. They think we buy RVs to have them stored at their repair facilities for weeks on end and if you are not handy in doing the repairs yourself, then you are at their mercy. Until we are the comsumers demand top notch service this will continue. Mobile Suites does make a great unit but is not my style. And I am sure yours is a beauful unit. Take care and Happy RVing....

I suggest all RVers and Heartlanders rate their RV service experiences on the RV Service Reviews website. Here is the link:
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/ReviewAdd.asp?ReviewID=0&FacilityID=0

All prospective buyers should check out the dealer they are thinking about buying from and let them know if a good/bad service reputation makes/breaks the deal with them.