Question about winterizing water line to icemaker

37driver

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3890SS. One of the problems I've had that hasn't been addressed by warranty as of yet is no water to my icemaker. It's a residential Frigidare. The dealer told me there is a valve under the slideout in the supply line to the icemaker. I've located the valve and it's on so I'm waiting for the dealer to get a mobile RV guy out to find the problem.
In the meantime I'm wondering how to protect the line from freezing this winter. The line comes out from under the enclosed belly of the trailer to the underside of the slide. It runs straight out to the exterior wall and then 90 degrees along the outer wall about six feet and then up inside the floor to the fridge. The line is enclosed in what appears to be plastic wire loom but has absolutely no protection from freezing. I'm amazed that a manufacturer would do something this stupid.
Does anyone else have this set up and how in the world are you supposed to keep it from freezing? The RV is set up at the Outer Banks in NC. it's not really common for hard freezes there but they do occur and we plan on using it year round.
Any advice would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi 37driver,

The cutoff valve for the refrigerator water feed line is usually inside the coach. You'll probably find it under the sink, or behind the cabinet drawers next to the sink. If you follow the cold water PEX line that goes to the kitchen sink faucet, you'll find where the refrigerator's poly line is attached. That's where the cutoff valve is located. The thing under the slide is a drain valve. When Heartland started using residential refrigerators, they put in that drain valve thinking that it would allow owners to easily drain the water out of the feed line and the refrigerator to protect everything from a hard freeze. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job.

However, you can find instructions on winterizing the refrigerator and the water feed line in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

Even if using the trailer during the winter, you do have to evacuate the water from the feed line if there's any possibility of temps dropping below freezing. And if the trailer is not heated throughout the winter, there are going to be other components in the refrigerator that require winterization as well.

CoveredWagon

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2017 Bighorn 3890SS. One of the problems I've had that hasn't been addressed by warranty as of yet is no water to my icemaker. It's a residential Frigidare. The dealer told me there is a valve under the slideout in the supply line to the icemaker. I've located the valve and it's on so I'm waiting for the dealer to get a mobile RV guy out to find the problem.
In the meantime I'm wondering how to protect the line from freezing this winter. The line comes out from under the enclosed belly of the trailer to the underside of the slide. It runs straight out to the exterior wall and then 90 degrees along the outer wall about six feet and then up inside the floor to the fridge. The line is enclosed in what appears to be plastic wire loom but has absolutely no protection from freezing. I'm amazed that a manufacturer would do something this stupid.
Does anyone else have this set up and how in the world are you supposed to keep it from freezing? The RV is set up at the Outer Banks in NC. it's not really common for hard freezes there but they do occur and we plan on using it year round.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi 37 driver
What Dan said, plus maybe a bit more help from here. You found the drain valve under the slide out, and as Dan said there is a shut off under the sink. I found all of them but like you no water to the ice maker. Well I kept digging and found behind the Residential refrigerator (there is a locked inspection door on the outside of the slide out) there was a 1/4 inch plastic water line going to the blue solenoid valve. The line came through the wall and then went up the back of the fridge a ways (out of sight). What I couldn’t see was the line was kinked and pinched off the water. I rearranged the line and bingo, I had water. Everything worked AOK. Now to winterize, after I did as stated in the guide I also opened the drain valve (under the slideout, disconnected the water line at the solenoid valve and blew out the line. I just blew on it didn’t use a compressor or anything else. A small amount of water came out. Reassembled everything and tucked the Rv in for the winter ❄️

hope this helps

37driver

Thanks guys. I decided to go down to the coast tonight and sure enough, found the cut off under the sink. It's amazing that the service manager at the dealership is absolutely clueless about their product. They're a big Bighorn dealer too. He actually sent me a picture of the drain valve and told me it was the cut off. Amazing.

jimcat

I found my shut off valve.. turned in on.. but still have no water at the residential fridge.. I can hear the motor.. Is there some place else I need to turn something else on? 2015 Heartland Landmark 365