Question on 17.5" wheel choice

JeromyS

So this forum has been the best "scare me sleepless" forum I've ever read. DW and I are looking at replacing our tires on our 37 ultimate (long, heavy 2 axle beast). I'm set on the 17.5" wheels and the GoodYear G114 tires. The reason I'm posting is that I see a lot of references to the 17.5" HiSpec Series 3 wheel (http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/765/Series-03). While looking around I noticed that there is a Series 7 8 spoke wheel (http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/775/8-Spoke) which I was interested in over the Series 03 for look/feel. Load rating seems to be ok for the G114 tire (can't tell max wheel PSI) but I wanted to get the opinion of the experts here before I make a silly/bad choice.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have the 8 spoke series 07 with the G114's and absolutely love them. We have nearly 20k miles on them and not lick of problems with them. Do yourself a favor and contact Kevin at trailertiresandwheels.com and get all the specs and questions answered and get a quote. I bet he beats whatever you have been quoted.

Rod Ditrich

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
X2 on trailertiresandwheels.com...best decisiion we ever made. These G114's were on the Bighorn for two years and now almost two on the Landmark...not one issue!!

wkcox

Thanks guys for the info, I'm starting my search for new wheels and tires this week. My thread was the one showing the photos from my first Blomax blowout. I don't ever want a repeat of that tire changing event on the side of I-95.

A great, ethical camper salesman would have educated me about trailer tires when I purchased my RW415. Something like: "You will want to upgrade these tires. The Towmax tires only last a short time and are prone to blowouts. The experienced campers use..." That kind of discussion would have earned repeat business from me.

Jim.Allison

Internet tire and wheel order, no freight, no sales tax (Texas), PayPal 0% 6 months.........seemed like a good deal to me.

Right now I'm asking the question, should I sell my remaining towmax tires and the rims that go with them, or should I keep them in case I want to sell my rig and keep my G114s for another rig? Looking at them with 3/4 in of tread, regroovable another 1/2 inch, and retreadable, I wonder if I will ever need another tire for any rig?

if you are ordering assemblies, don't forget to order it balanced. I forgot and had to pay more to get them balanced locally, plus the time and expense of loading them up and delivering them to someone who would balance them. A benefit of having them already balance is that if something is wrong with the assembly they can catch it there before they ship it. Good luck with whatever brands you choose, but since you are investing money, the benefits of the HiSpec cant be overlooked.......post pics when you get them.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

The HiSpec mod 03 has "0" offset, the 07 8 spoke is 12 mm offset. I dont know what this means. You will have to consult with the folks you are going to buy from. The 03's have 6 more pounds of aluminum in the casting. Both are rated for the same loads. The spokes are available in colors, I like that. I just don't know what the implication of a 12mm offset, or the implication of the weight of the aluminum. Otherwise I would choose whatever looks good on your rig.

My install on the Big country resulted in moving the sidewall of the tire toward the frame by 1/4 of an inch. The outer sidewall was 1/4 of an inch further out too. So my Mod 03 "0" offset had little effect on my install. I dont know what the effect of the 12mm offset would be.

So this forum has been the best "scare me sleepless" forum I've ever read. DW and I are looking at replacing our tires on our 37 ultimate (long, heavy 2 axle beast). I'm set on the 17.5" wheels and the GoodYear G114 tires. The reason I'm posting is that I see a lot of references to the 17.5" HiSpec Series 3 wheel (http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/765/Series-03). While looking around I noticed that there is a Series 7 8 spoke wheel (http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/775/8-Spoke) which I was interested in over the Series 03 for look/feel. Load rating seems to be ok for the G114 tire (can't tell max wheel PSI) but I wanted to get the opinion of the experts here before I make a silly/bad choice.

Cjackg

Here's the Hi-Spec 07s on my Cyclone... no problems with offset 0.0, clearance, etc and they are serious looking wheels/tires!

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29899&d=1400711672

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You want to go with 0 offset. That is how the axles are spec'd to carry the load. I am no expert, but was told when we replaced our axles that this was critical-- to match the wheels and axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeromyS

Sweet thanks for pointing that out. Found a good overview of Wheel Offset here: http://recstuff.com/theanatomyofatrailerwheel.aspx This gives me something else to think about. Who knew wheels were so complicated! That is exactly why I have come to trust this forum and to seek advice prior to rash decisions.

I sadly do not have my RV with me (It's back at the factory for repairs and a 6 point level up install) so I cannot check my existing wheels.

Last edited:

MrRvGypsy

Internet tire and wheel order, no freight, no sales tax (Texas), PayPal 0% 6 months.........seemed like a good deal to me.

Right now I'm asking the question, should I sell my remaining towmax tires and the rims that go with them, or should I keep them in case I want to sell my rig and keep my G114s for another rig?

we sold our old E-rated tires and wheel when we invested in our 17.5 inch wheels and tires on our previous trailer to a thrilled local contractor for his construction business truck that way they weren't taking up room in my tiny storage shed.
When we traded this year we wrote in the contract that our 17.5 inch wheel and tires were to be transferred to our new trailer upon delivery to the dealer. The dealer removed them as sooner as we dropped the trade and he put them in storage for us so he could install some other wheels and tires so he could market the trade with out them.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Here is the Before and the After photos of our Bighorn. The new 17.5's look SOOOOOO much nicer and the piece of mind of not having to worry about the tires every second of travel time is awesome!

Rod

Attachments

• Before 2.jpg
    Before 2.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 79
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 80

Jim.Allison

They doooooooo look good and I know what you are saying when you talk peace of mind........

Here is the Before and the After photos of our Bighorn. The new 17.5's look SOOOOOO much nicer and the piece of mind of not having to worry about the tires every second of travel time is awesome!

Rod

Just to clear up the offset issue on the wheels as discussed in a few of the above posts.

1. Most of the RV's and fifth wheel trailers use a "0" offset wheel meaning the mounting flange is in the center of the wheel.
2. Some of the RV's and fifth wheel trailers have a mod 16" wheel that has a -8mm offset. In most cases the "0" offset 17.5 wheel will be the correct choice if you are going to upgrade.
3. Hi-Spec builds the Series 07 wheels in 16" and 17.5" with both a "0" offset and a +12.5mm (1/2") offset.
4. The offset wheel in most cases is used on some horse, livestock and enclosed car trailers.
5. Dexter "Never Lube" hubs MUST have a "0" offset wheel or the warranty is void.
6. Positive offset wheels move the wheel in toward the frame of the trailer. Negative offset wheels move the wheel out toward the outside of the trailer away from the frame.

Thanks to all of you for your support.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Scott
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com
PH: 419.272.2277

JeromyS

Thank you a bunch for clearing that up Scott. This gives me confidence on the series 7 wheel. Just waiting to get my unit back from heartland and this will be my next purchase!