Question on Selling an RV

avvidclif

I am contemplating on selling my rv and have a question. Looking at PPL Consignment sales. I know with an individual sale the add-ons I have added (TPMS, Camera, Surge Suppressor, etc etc) would add to the value but how about selling/consignment with a dealer? Would I be better off removing the options I added and selling them separately? IOW would a dealer get more for one with extras? I'll call PPL later today and ask but I'm sure their answer will be skewed in their favor.

Flick

I am contemplating on selling my rv and have a question. Looking at PPL Consignment sales. I know with an individual sale the add-ons I have added (TPMS, Camera, Surge Suppressor, etc etc) would add to the value but how about selling/consignment with a dealer? Would I be better off removing the options I added and selling them separately? IOW would a dealer get more for one with extras? I'll call PPL later today and ask but I'm sure their answer will be skewed in their favor.

I’ve sold several high dollar, more expensive toys over the years and the upgrades certainly can help move what you’re trying to sell.
However, my advice to anyone who is contemplating an expensive upgrade is to be sure that you will enjoy it because you won’t necessarily recoup your investment. It’s kind of like trading in a vehicle at a dealership. Generally, they don’t care if you have new tires on it or not.
As for PPL, they’ll give you a range and expect you to be in that range, sometimes with exceptions. They’re interested in moving the coach, sometimes at your loss. Upgrades are good when you have someone interested in several like units and your upgrades make your coach more appealing.
Personally, I would remove all the upgrades that I could. You’ll be ahead in the end.
But you knew all this. And you’re absolutely correct. Private sales will allow you to recoup upgrades easier.

Mark-Roberta 051995

I am sure you also know that PPL will be taking a commission on your sale. The extras that you have added can be a plus for the right buyer if there are multiple units like your available like FLICK was saying. I would add up the dollar amount that you spent on your upgrades and see if the dealer will sell your unit for a percentage higher since they are installed. I doubt they will but you never know.
If you took all the extras off and tried to sell them individually I am sure you could sell them quicker and could recoup your money back by 75% or so. There are probably folks on here looking for a TPMS system, camera, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark

Bogie

I only have limited experience with using a dealer to sell your used trailer on consignment. In my case, they couldn't care less what was added. They only went by what the factory installed as original equipment. That's how they set the price. I removed the expensive Ground Control leveling system I had installed and re-installed it on my new rig.

As was already mentioned, they do take their commission. But, that's the price you pay for not having to deal with selling it yourself.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you price it right you will be much better off using Craig's list.

Yes!

Had my Prowler listed on 15 different Facebook Marketplaces for over a month and not one single real inquiry.

I did, however, get several offers from Nigeria, the Soviet Union and the middle east offering to send me a personal check once their peeps traveled the seven seas to get here, pick it up and deliver it back to them in person...despite the big "CASH ONLY" in the post!

I placed an ad on Craig's List and the very next day it was sold!

MTPockets

Are you replacing your RV with another? I had ours on a consignment lot for six months, got some really low offers.. the extras you have may help sell it faster, but not likely going to sell for any higher price. In the end, we traded our Bighorn at a car dealership for a new SUV..... was happy with the deal....

esscobra

rv trader is the best place- I sold my tt trailer there while waiting for my bighorn to arrivre

avvidclif

I talked to an appraiser at PPL this afternoon. Their guesstimate on a price pending inspection was in the price range that would get me what I wanted to clear. The lady told me some of the aftermarket stuff could make it easier to sell and raise the price, depending on the buyer. As far as Craigslist, I listed it there a couple of years ago and never got a decent nibble. There is no market to compare it to. I have been semi tracking the value on RVTrader and other sites for several years. I've only seen 2 listed and currently there are none listed. Kinda a rarity. Once I get going again and get it emptied out I'll take it over and see what the actual appraisal is. If I don't like it I can always drag it back home. I know they charge 10% but even with that they figured my net at where I wanted to be, and no hassle. They even detail it.

I'll keep everyone posted.

sengli

Price is king on the selling of an RV. If you expect to get top retail, it might be pretty rough. We priced ours fairly and sold it thru RVtrader. In my mind the "extras" really dont enhance the asking price for me anyway. What if the added items arent something the buyer is interested in having?

jbeletti

Clif - you've received some good advice here. I want to add that the resale market is really hot right now. I suggest you devote 2 weeks to trying to sell on your own at a the high-end of the range.

avvidclif

Clif - you've received some good advice here. I want to add that the resale market is really hot right now. I suggest you devote 2 weeks to trying to sell on your own at a the high-end of the range.

And I'm reading all of it, BUT I hate selling and putting up with tire kickers. When I get ready I'll probably list it here for a bit before going the consignment route. One extra does count, a bunch. An 8 month old RV-Armor spray-on roof with a lifetime warranty against leakage. Good for whoever is holding the receipt at the time.

I would absolutely love listing it on here, get a confirmed buyer, and spend several days going over everything with them. It is hooked up under a carport. That would be ideal. Dreaming.

2016 West Texas Inaugural Rally Quanah, Tx. First rally, remember trying to figure out why my kitchen slide was hiccuping going in and out? Hint, busted tooth on drive motor assy. GRIN

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I gotta agree with Jim that the RV resale market is hot. I've seen ads from local (Houston) RV dealers seeking used RV's.

I remember that incident in Quanah also!

MCTalley

If you decide to sell through PPL, shoot me a PM so I can give you a few details on how our sale went - mainly a couple things to watch for.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We’re selling ours to General RV. They don’t want any anything that wasn’t added as part of the original purchase unless it’s bolted to the rig. Just sold my X-chocks and Flagpole Buddy to the neighbor. Other “goodies” will either get repurposed, sold later, or become part of a landfill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Understood. We're working on cleaning it out now. **** there is a lot of "stuff", filling a 2 car garage.